Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2013, 4:20 am

Its seems that the more I do physical training, the more my IBS acts up.

When my IBS acts up, I have to avoid all dairies that I can, avoid much chicken breast, avoid a lot of breads, have small meals and not drink large amounts of water at once.

But my doctor said to eat low calorie yogurt with probiotics because my digestive bacterias kept having die-offs. That yogurt helps but at the same time it irritates.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 2:44 pm

This thread is very interesting to me.

I believe most people on the spectrum have digestive issues/intolerances/allergies etc.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 2:50 pm

If you have dairy intolerance, then it would be expected that eating yoghurt would cause you to have an irritated stomach.
Doctors don't really do training in nutrition (around one day of very basic training is their average over 6 years at medical school), and in my experience often give out unhelpful advice like that as a consequence.

Rather than eating yoghurt , I would recommend a good pre/probiotic blend to be taken in tablet form.

There are many of these around, for example the Udo's range.
They have Super-5 and Super-8 tablets, which contain many more beneficial bacteria than probiotic yoghurt or yoghurt drinks.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 5:06 am

with yogert, the yougert culture eats all the lactose(milk sugar), so if you are lactose intolerant you should be fine eating yogert. Same with cheese.

Ladywoof. I'd just ignore the doctors. I had tests done on me and they said I didn't have a problem with gluten. They stuck a camera down my throat and looked at my intestines and took a sample. They told me that is the gold standard for testing and gluten wasn't a problem for me. Whatever they were completely wrong. I had to figure it out for myself.
For gluten all you have to do is they diet for a week. You don't need to go to any doctors. Also with the salad and vegetable soup, you have to look really carefully at food. Gluten is in everything. If you had some sort of dressing with your salad it could have had malt vinegar in it. Also most stocks you buy have gluten in them. When you go on the diet, just assume everything has gluten in it until you are sure it has not.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 7:33 am

MrBogan wrote:
with yogert, the yougert culture eats all the lactose(milk sugar), so if you are lactose intolerant you should be fine eating yogert. Same with cheese.

Not exactly.
If a person consumes probiotic yoghurt specifically, then it would have a lower level of digestible lactose than standard yoghurt.
This is because within the intestines it will convert lactose into lactic acid.
However, it does still contain lactose and those who are lactose intolerant would still be well advised to be cautious when deciding to eat such yoghurts.

Other types of yoghurt would have quite high levels of digestible lactose, and it would be expected that a lactose intolerant person would have trouble after eating that kind.

MrBogan wrote:
Ladywoof. I'd just ignore the doctors. I had tests done on me and they said I didn't have a problem with gluten. They stuck a camera down my throat and looked at my intestines and took a sample. They told me that is the gold standard for testing and gluten wasn't a problem for me. Whatever they were completely wrong. I had to figure it out for myself.

I can easily believe it.
I truly think that the medical industry had barely made progress since the days when they would do trepanning, or advise people to nail frogs to trees as the treatment for various illness.

MrBogan wrote:
For gluten all you have to do is they diet for a week. You don't need to go to any doctors. Also with the salad and vegetable soup, you have to look really carefully at food. Gluten is in everything. If you had some sort of dressing with your salad it could have had malt vinegar in it. Also most stocks you buy have gluten in them. When you go on the diet, just assume everything has gluten in it until you are sure it has not.

A lot of things don't have gluten in them.
The only dressing I ever put in salad is houmus... which doesn't contain any gluten.
I just looked now, and the stock for the soup was not the kind which contains gluten.

I don't think that's what it is, though.

I can go through a phase where I eat a lot of sandwiches, or something (I hardly ever eat bread) and yet be no more ill than usual because of it.
If I had gluten intolerance, then I ought to notice the difference after a bread binge I reckon.

Or similarly, if I had a week of only eating steamed vegetables and Kikkoman soy sauce (which is gluten free) then I shouldn't be feeling dodgy then if it were guten causing the problem.

Oh well, I have to go to the hospital tomorrow - and the NHS are stumping up for the extortionate travel costs.
So ;-) if there's anything that would show up on a CT scan (or not) then that would be helpful to know about, at least.

If they try to spring more unexpected blood tests on me then I'll tell them to bugger off though, I reckon.
For all I know, they've used the last lot for some kind of dark summoning blood ritual....

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 10:25 pm

lol on nailing frogs ro trees. :lol:

Well food I think takes a 48 hours to go through your system. Not sure on this. Like food does not reach the small intestines so if you eat something you will not instantly know if it is bad for you. When I had a dodgey stomach I would have good days and bad days. I would feel crap in the morning and better later on in the day. You really have to go off it for a week. Also it is an autoimume thing your body(well my body) is attacking the gluten, so that would take a bit for the body to go out of a attack mode.

It doesn't sound like gluten with you. But it is worth doing the diet to check it is not.
I know some people cannot handle eating starches, you could explore other things.

Also you probably don't know what is good or bad with your stomach, so you cannot judge. I had a bad stomach all my life and just assumed that was normal.

Anyway good luck. I hope you figure it out whatever is going on with you. I'd try and figure it out yourself though. The internet is full of info.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 4:55 am

Thankyou.

Digestion time depends on things like the gender of a person or the type of food being eaten.
It should take 6-8 hours for food to go through the stomach and small intestine. |
Then an average of a further 33 hours (for men) or 47 hours (for women) for it to pass though the large intestine.
A healthy diet (compared to the average one) would normally reduce this time, while a less healthy one would typically increase it.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 7:09 pm

Digestion issues could also be due to inadequate amounts of digestive enzymes - or - candida?

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 9:09 pm

Many things could cause digestive issues.
It could be caused by anything from stress to a stomach ulcer, or Crohn's disease.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 8:38 pm

When my stomach won't stop hurting I get on my bike and ride for a couple hours. Then some ginger tea, after I cool down.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 11:02 am

Diagnosed with colitis in the early 90's. Bad times then, it was scary just to go on the bus to work. "Controlled" it by cutting out stuff but my stomach is never great. Some days it is barely noticeable some days it is.

Is this high rate of stomach issues a direct result of being on the spectrum or an indirect result of it(the stresses caused by it, being an "alien" in an NT world)?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

glow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 4:29 pm

alpineglow wrote:
When my stomach won't stop hurting I get on my bike and ride for a couple hours. Then some ginger tea, after I cool down.

Have you also tried fennel, raspberry tea, and lemon? The one to maybe steer away from is peppermint extract or drinking too much Echinacea tea as it can make you tired, but apparently liquorice tea is good for headaches and joints and marshmallow is good for migraine and indigestion too.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 8:02 pm

glow wrote:
Have you also tried fennel, raspberry tea, and lemon? The one to maybe steer away from is peppermint extract or drinking too much Echinacea tea as it can make you tired, but apparently liquorice tea is good for headaches and joints and marshmallow is good for migraine and indigestion too.

glow, do you mix the fennel, raspberry and lemon together? I'm adding those to my shopping list for tomorrow, thank you. :)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2013, 8:34 pm

I also have stomach issues.A very cranky colon.I had a colonoscopy and it's just IBS.
The same as several above posters said,no dairy,flour,food additives,greasy fried foods.I could have eaten pizza and burritos everyday. :( I pay big time when I indulge.
I've also had luck with some of the herbs and spices above posters mentioned.I chewed fennel seeds,drank ginger tea,took marshmallow root.Slippery elm is also good,catnip(women here give it to babies for colic)chamomile flowers.I have heard about the licorice,but I'd have to put that into a gel cap,I really,really hate licorice.Barley was easy to digest so I ate it with veggies.
I know food has went through me quicker than 48 hours,if I eat something upsetting with corn at the same time,well,umm,I can tell it when it has made it from start to finish.
It's cheaper to but the herbs in bulk and cap them yourself or if they are tasty,get a tea ball.It is a real savings.Some health food stores will let people get bulk herbs,teas and spices on a food stamp card,very helpful to those on a budget.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 6:40 am

alpineglow wrote:
glow wrote:

glow, do you mix the fennel, raspberry and lemon together? I'm adding those to my shopping list for tomorrow, thank you. :)

I wouldn't say so no. They all have different properties. Raspberry helps with regulating female hormones whilst lemon helps to clean out the system. Fennel is sometimes used for severe nausea and vomiting. can clear headaches. I like marshmallow, and I think it has the same symptoms for curing indigestion. Hope that makes more sense.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2013, 9:51 am

^ yes, it does. I'm adding the fennel and the marshmallow to my list, lemons are already on there. I have a stressful situation coming in the next few days and will have these in case, as usual, I get stomach aches from the stress. Thanks again.