In social situations, do you emulate your favourite actors?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

JBM
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2007, 9:38 pm

I tend to emulate Mr Miyagi from the Karate Kid movies, I act with little emotion, and pretend to be oblivious to what other people are thinking are doing, even though I am paying very close attention to them. I also answer people in short sentences or grunts.

When I was a teenager, I had a similar infatiation/ admiration of the guy who played farmer Hogget in Babe. He was also calm, quite, and thoughtful, and also appeared to be illogical to other people in social situations, but in private was very intuitive

AspieGurl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2007, 9:54 pm

I repeat lines and phrases from movies so every conversation is pre scripted from my favorite Mary Kate and Ashley movie of Hanna Montana TV episode.

But I wouldn’t consider this aspie related just a personality quirk.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 10:58 pm

I imitate lines from movies occasionally, but the movies I watch are not generally watched by a lot of people. The lines are so general that they can be incorporated into ordinary conversation without anyone noticing.

JBM
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2007, 11:06 pm

It's not so much that I quote lines, but emulate their behaviour and their reactions to people who don't take them seriously. I know growing up I had a big problem with letting other people see how anger or upset they could make me because I "wore my emotions on my sleeve". Now I try to imitate the way oriental people are, that they never get "shown up" because they don't show their emotions & Mr Miayagi embodies that (at least in the stereotypical portrayal of asians he gives)

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2007, 6:41 pm

This one has drawn some laughs in some social gatherings I've been part of. It is from Robert DeNiro when he played as Al Capone in The Untouchables:

I'm gonna tell you something: somebody messes with me, I'm gonna mess with him. Somebody steals from me, I'm gonna say: YOU stole! Not talk to them for spitting on the sidewalk. Oh... One more thing: you get an all-out prize fight, you wait till the fight's over, one guy's left standing, that's how you know who's won

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

paranoid_android
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2007, 12:13 am

Emulating my favourite actors in a social situation is probably a bad idea.
Your mother was a hedgehog and your father smelt of elderberries!
My hovercraft is full of eels.

saoirse_starr
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Feb 2007, 11:56 pm

I don't emulate actors as such, but if I'm having a particularly bad day and feel more anxious than usual I might pretend to be a character from a book/tv show/movie etc who's a lot more confident than me. It gets me through those days when I have to go to the supermarket but can't face the idea of being around people. I don't know if it's because I'm able to pretend to be someone else or because the acting is taking my mind off my anxiety - probably a bit of both.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 2:27 pm

That would require planning, and my plans always fall apart "upon contact" in social situation. In addition I would be way to nervous to try something like that.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 1:15 pm

I sometimes act like Jason Bourne since I have a habit of doing what I do and slipping into a crowd unnoticed. One time I impersonated Tom Dobbs {Robin Williams' character} from "Man of the Year."

"I did not have sex with that woman. I wanted to actually!"

If you impersonate, you may get into some serious trouble, like I did. :oops: :oops: :oops:

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 5:11 pm

I don't think I emulate them, but afterwards, when I'm kicking myself for screwing up (again), I pretend I am one of my favorite characters and re-play the social interaction, only this time I am so much more cool and hip and together. I guess it is a form of escapism. But no, I do not emulate anyone in social situations; that is too much to think about.

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2007, 10:48 pm

Patrick Stewart for enunication, timing and how to be cool. (It doesn't work...)