Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 6:33 pm

If I was being mugged on the street I sure hope as hell someone would come to my rescue. Of course, knowing people, they'd just say, "Not my problem" and continue on their merry way. If it was happening to them that'd be a different story, though.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 7:00 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
Those reactions you witnessed are horrible and I agree with you, it's shocking how insensitive people are these days to things like this even when they happen right in front of them.

I have to say I'm not surprised though -- I live in London too, and I see a lot of random nastiness and lack of "public spiritedness" in people today, here.

Having said that, there ARE still good people who will be kind, have empathy, or even step forward to help. It's just that there seem to be a lower ratio of those, these days, than the ones who are nasty about things.

I do think that we live in a time where there's an increasingly selfishness of spirit happening in people in general. I wonder if some of it does come from being inured to human suffering because not only do we see so much of it on any news broadcast every night, but also in movies and even video games. I'm NOT blaming all callousness on violent video games -- I myself am of the belief that it's far more complicated than that, as there are people with a strong enough identity that they will never be negatively impacted merely by exposure to fantasy violence in films or games.

But I do think that generally society is losing touch with the reality of real people and real suffering. Even the internet causes us to feel more distanced from the fact that it's real people out there beyond the monitor screen, and there's plenty of callous behavior on the internet because of that loss of connection to the fact that the people "out there" are real. I think lots of things like this come together to make even witnesses to serious injury right in front of them have a reaction of selfishness "My bus will be late" and lack of empathy.

I get shocked by people around me too, but the best you can do is try to be that person who does care or will want to help.

This.

People are routinely exposed to violence and gore today. I think it has a numbing effect over time. I was an adult before I had ever even seen a dead body, but now any kid any where can search the web and not just see dead bodies...they can see decapitated bodies. Mangled bodies. Bodies of men women and children piled upon one another like garbage. Over time, it starts to lose it's meaning.

I, myself, still feel like vomiting if I see someone else in pain. When things like earthquakes, typhoons, hurricanes, etc strike and there is huge loss of life, I lose sleep thinking about the kids without parents and the mothers who will never see their children again. When hurricane Sandy was in NY, there was a story on the news of a woman who's car had become overrun with sudden flood waters. She had to leave the car to try to get her kids to safety. Her kids were swept from her arms and washed away. That left me bursting into tears for days. I still feel waves of deep sorrow when I think of this poor mother and how in one moment, her life was irrevocably changed for the worst. Yes, I realize that stuff like this, and worse, happens every day. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't all pause for a moment and recognize the sanctity of life and feel sorrow for those who are suffering.

I honestly do not understand how people cannot care. How can you possibly see a man who is likely bleeding to death and be worried about your way being held up? Seriously, stuff like this makes me ashamed of the human race. It's very disappointing, and sometimes I feel disgusted.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2013, 7:10 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
Those reactions you witnessed are horrible and I agree with you, it's shocking how insensitive people are these days to things like this even when they happen right in front of them.

I have to say I'm not surprised though -- I live in London too, and I see a lot of random nastiness and lack of "public spiritedness" in people today, here.

Having said that, there ARE still good people who will be kind, have empathy, or even step forward to help. It's just that there seem to be a lower ratio of those, these days, than the ones who are nasty about things.

I do think that we live in a time where there's an increasingly selfishness of spirit happening in people in general. I wonder if some of it does come from being inured to human suffering because not only do we see so much of it on any news broadcast every night, but also in movies and even video games. I'm NOT blaming all callousness on violent video games -- I myself am of the belief that it's far more complicated than that, as there are people with a strong enough identity that they will never be negatively impacted merely by exposure to fantasy violence in films or games.

But I do think that generally society is losing touch with the reality of real people and real suffering. Even the internet causes us to feel more distanced from the fact that it's real people out there beyond the monitor screen, and there's plenty of callous behavior on the internet because of that loss of connection to the fact that the people "out there" are real. I think lots of things like this come together to make even witnesses to serious injury right in front of them have a reaction of selfishness "My bus will be late" and lack of empathy.

I get shocked by people around me too, but the best you can do is try to be that person who does care or will want to help.

This.

People are routinely exposed to violence and gore today. I think it has a numbing effect over time. I was an adult before I had ever even seen a dead body, but now any kid any where can search the web and not just see dead bodies...they can see decapitated bodies. Mangled bodies. Bodies of men women and children piled upon one another like garbage. Over time, it starts to lose it's meaning.

I, myself, still feel like vomiting if I see someone else in pain. When things like earthquakes, typhoons, hurricanes, etc strike and there is huge loss of life, I lose sleep thinking about the kids without parents and the mothers who will never see their children again. When hurricane Sandy was in NY, there was a story on the news of a woman who's car had become overrun with sudden flood waters. She had to leave the car to try to get her kids to safety. Her kids were swept from her arms and washed away. That left me bursting into tears for days. I still feel waves of deep sorrow when I think of this poor mother and how in one moment, her life was irrevocably changed for the worst. Yes, I realize that stuff like this, and worse, happens every day. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't all pause for a moment and recognize the sanctity of life and feel sorrow for those who are suffering.

I honestly do not understand how people cannot care. How can you possibly see a man who is likely bleeding to death and be worried about your way being held up? Seriously, stuff like this makes me ashamed of the human race. It's very disappointing, and sometimes I feel disgusted.

As you probably know, sociologists label this as desensitisation when people are bombarded by such violence that they are no longer affected by it, whether it be through horror movies or the news. I was watching the ninteen seventies film, The Mummy, made by Hammer Horror the other day and was instantly struck by the contrast in what was used to make people scared. People were terrified by a man covered in tissue making rather odd and ominous groans and now we find things like saw perfectly watchable. It s really odd how we have progressed, or regressed.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 7:32 pm

Yes. It is desensitization, and I guess from a removed, psychological standpoint, I get it.

I guess maybe what I don't really get is that people think it is OK. That it is not sad or disturbing to be desensitized. It's not like people often stop and say "Gosh, you are right. That is a person. I feel so horrible" ykwim? More often the response is "so what?"

Sad. Man's inhumanity toward man.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 7:37 pm

When the train was delayed because of someone's suicide on the tracks some stations away, people just complained about the "nuisance". I can kind of understand that, but if the accident was right in front of you and someone is seriously injured, I don't think I could think of it as "just a nuisance" because I would feel the seriousness of the situation - possible death of a stranger.

I agree with the OP - those people who just complained about the inconvenience etc are cold-hearted though I do think they have no obligation to show any sympathy for the injured person. But it's not a matter of whether you have the right or obligation to care or not care. It simply shows what kind of person you are. You won't be punished for not being sympathetic but I would be wary of someone like that.

Having said that, I wouldn't go as far as risking myself to save someone, honestly. I would do anything to help without putting myself at risk. I wouldn't do CPR or whatever if there is a risk of being accused of sexual assault. But I could easily call an ambulance.