Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

07 Oct 2013, 2:57 pm

I'd say yes, even though it took me eight years. Give it a shot, you just might like it.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2013, 4:55 pm

Just make sure that any program you go in to is accredited.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 2:38 am

Cheaper, especially if you will be getting your Bachelor's. I went to two community colleges and I don't regret it for even a second. All my credits transferred to the universities I've applied to.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 4:23 pm

HELL YES! I'm in my sixth year as a community college student and I've never regretted any moment of it.

Hopefully, I'll finish my requirements by Spring 2014 and start at Portland State next fall, though as of now, I am considering all options for both a Major and a Minor.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 8:20 am

Yes, yes and yes. Where I live, the University graduates are less than 50/50 in finding a career (and most had to move away) and the College graudates are about 80/20, plus it is MUCH cheaper, more affordable and the pay from job is generally higher and less stressful. The single biggest regret of my life is choosing (read: forced by parents) university over college.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 9:46 am

The question by itself is NO. It is not worth it, and I'll tell you why by asking first a few questions.

Why do you need to go to community college? -- If it's only because your grandmother says so, then no. You should go because you want to, or you feel you need to, not from someone elses idea of what's good for you.

What is your end goal? -- If Community college is it in and of itself, even that's not costworthy compared to self-teaching from materials found on the internet, books, library, etc... and getting certs or licenses.

If you have a goal such as higher education, or career that is your own idea and it needs college education then community college is a great place to start. There are really two concerns I've run across with community college.

1a) Even with accreditation, a good accreditation, schools you transfer to are limited in how much transfer credits they can accept vs how many have to be gotten locally in house.
1b) Some schools may have a relationship with the community college to bypass 1, or even better, accept credits earned there as if they were earned in-house, or even have a sattelite campus at the community college. Ideally if possibly, choose a community college that will get you into your desired undergraduate degree program with the least cost, both from the perspective of credit hours/tuition, and from time involved such as gas money and travel costs among others.

2) If a school you're trying to transfer community college credits to doesn't recognize the accreditation of the community college, which can happen, then you're out that school as a choice. Research ahead of time.

I would also watch this video --
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UEwbRWFZVc[/youtube]

My Blog
Deviantart Page

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 11:05 pm

I wouldn't really know.

I'd actually prefer a university.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 3:26 am

Yes its good idea. It's cheaper and you can transfer. Many 'prestigious' universities often dicriminate positively in favor of community college graduates or transfers. BEWARE: Some of the people (hell a LOT) of them re neptoistic and cliquish to some extent (The students). For example, I went to a suburban one......and I live in the 'city' proper, so there was a...difference. (i.e. white people calling me 'white' culturally :/)

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 12:21 pm

i'm 27 and i've been attending community college on and off since i finished high school, i feel i have lacked ambition most of my life

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2015, 8:36 pm

Community college is good, because if you study there in 2 years, it can move you to a four-year university. Why? Are you interested in a four-year university?

Factory Ten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jul 2015, 3:51 pm

As someone who has dropped five out of the past six semesters due to mental and physical health concerns, YES YES YES YES YES. It's better to fail/drop/withdraw at community college class tuition rates than it is at four year college class tuition rates.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 7:07 pm

I enjoyed the classes I took at community college far more than the classes I've taken in both of the 4 year colleges I graduated from and from my grad school. The quality of most of the material wasn't that different and the people were a lot funnier. You'd get teenagers and grandpas side by side in class as contemporaries. Lots of hilarious discussions.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 8:35 pm

Yep...Community College is not some "low-rent" college. It's college, just like a four-year college is college. The credits count the same.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2015, 9:23 pm

To me it was. I too was made to go to a regular college and after a couple of years, I could not handle it. Looking back it was just too much, too crazy. I dropped out of my english literature clases because there were hundreds of people and I could not focus, etc. Years later I went on my own to a community college and thoroughly enjoyed school for the first time in my life. I received excellent grades and it was much more relaxing to attend.

TenTheArtist
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jul 2015, 5:27 am

Absolutely. It's cheaper by a lot, you can transfer to a 4 year university and only spend 2 years there, and financial aid and scholarship options are great. Biggest advantage, especially if you're transferring, is you get the general education out of the way for significantly less money. Just make extra sure your classes transfer to the university you're looking at.

I'm almost out of community college. It will have taken four years, but I'll have two associate degrees and one certificate by the end.

dobyfm
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2015, 5:49 am

Yes it is. It is cheaper. As mentioned somewhere above the people are very cliquey, you kind of have to force your way into a social group.