Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 4:50 pm

Kuribo wrote:
cberg wrote:
Generally it's a response to high stress conditions and sensory overload. As a kid this happened to me when my parents wouldn't stop complaining about grades...

Did you ever find any helpful strategies to overcome this?

Yes, getting the hell up out of my miserable public school existence for one thing, but over time I think closed-eye meditation has been the most beneficial. It's by no means a simple thing to teach, but it's extremely useful in all manner of bad situations.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 6:38 pm

<---- have a look at the avatar. ;)
have head banged every day since was able to freely control and move self,in own case its a mixture of issues that cause it; lack of communication and expression abilities, lack of understanding,sensory seeking-needing the pressure on head to feel a sense of normality and balance in self,emotional regulation difficulties and not understanding any emotions that feel besides lacking many of them,information overload triggers it, severe challenging behavior-in terms of head banging/self attacking its triggered by misunderstanding or being wound up by other people-one of them am living with who is a bully and does it purposely.
will often bang head on walls until am KOd as well,lacking capacity to develop needed coping strategies its the only way have been able to deal with it.

am not able to understand her description of how her banging experiences feel,but can recommend if this is a daily issue for her she shoud look into getting herself a padded helmet, they are prescribed on the NHS for head banging if the neuro assesses it as an acute enough need,but that need has to outweigh the risks; such as increasing in banging due to having more protection involved.

if she likes pressure and someone is around when she has these banging sessions, it might help for that person to give her 'bear hugs' when she is in this state,

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 6:59 pm

Didn't Temple Grandin invent some kind of pressure machine for cattle? I would like one of those.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 7:04 pm

wozeree wrote:
Didn't Temple Grandin invent some kind of pressure machine for cattle? I would like one of those.
She did not invent it. She discovered how wonderful it felt to be in it. It's a special cage used to keep cattle still while they are examined by a vet or something. It wraps around them like a big huge hug and keeps them from moving too much. She got in one when she was a kid on her aunt's ranch and it felt like a hug to her, it made her calm. She did design a humane cattle dip that was very comfortable for the cows and she also did a lot of work with slaughter houses to make them more humane.

If you can't afford a squeeze cage, you might be able to get a weighted blanket. They feel like a nice hug too. :D

Wreck It Ralph

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 7:06 pm

A weighted blanket huh, well just in time for winter!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2013, 7:11 pm

wozeree wrote:
A weighted blanket huh, well just in time for winter!
Here is a link to some super cute ones. :D
http://www.sensacalm.com/weighted-blankets/

Wreck It Ralph

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2013, 8:31 pm

i bang myself or hit myself when i reach an emotional overload that is simply too much to sit still with or handle verbally.

i can't call it or describe it anything else but what it is, an unbearable tension, usually of anger in either the form of direct anger, frustration, or self-loathing, but it overflows my ability to control it. i see red and out it comes, usually at myself. when words are insufficient, i hurt myself.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2013, 8:32 pm

i bang myself or hit myself when i reach an emotional overload that is simply too much to sit still with or handle verbally.

i can't call it or describe it anything else but what it is, an unbearable tension, usually of anger in either the form of direct anger, frustration, or self-loathing, but it overflows my ability to control it. i see red and out it comes, usually at myself. when words are insufficient, or my mind goes blank and there are no words, i hurt myself.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

paulistaKC
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2013, 1:02 am

i have an initial urge to head bang but over the years i have learned to replace it with things that are a bit less self-destructive and less conspicuous. for example if i am really overloaded i will punch a hard surface at about 75% strength. most of the time i have found that a pinch in a sensitive area can work just as well. the pain seems to refocus my mind and allows me a long enough break to collect myself and thoughts.

maybe you could suggest she try a few less drastic things first and see if they have the same effect? start with a bear hug/blanket and work your way up.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 6:32 am

I also just discovered the other day when I was driving and I needed to headbang that if I tighten my fists super tight it releases tension in a similar way as well. That is a great way because it is very discreet and I can do it anywhere even while driving. And it hurts less and I can't get a concussion from it.

Wreck It Ralph

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 6:58 am

I can hit myself on the head with my hands if I become upset enough. It usually means I am having trouble communicating something that is distressing me or am unable to resolve said distress, which by that point has become overwhelming.