Is self-defeat a common trait among Aspie relationships?

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 6:04 pm

I find that self-defeat is common on this forum period, and I'm not just talking about relationships. It's easy to understand why: many people here have had little success in either dating, friendships, with employment, with school, or what have you. The less success you have, the harder it is to remain optimistic or to be ambitious about the future. That is one reason that the whole thing about "confidence" is tough for a lot of people...you have to be successful in some way to have confidence. If you have never had any measure of success in a particular task, it is impossible to truly be confident about performing it. You can try to develop skills so that you do become more successful at said task, and in turn gain confidence, but if the task actually requires confidence to achieve success then it is very easy to end up stuck in a vicious cycle.

I think that this is what holds many people around here back more than anything. If you have a low opinion of yourself, or if you think you will fail before you even begin, chances are you will. Unfortunately I don't know what the best solution is, and if I did I'm sure I'd be a multimillionaire by now :D . But I do know, from personal experience, that changing one's mindset is one of the most important steps you can take towards living a happier and more fulfilling life, and success often follows with it.

ExceladonCity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 8:41 pm

LeLetch wrote:
ExceladonCity wrote:
Logic is what keeps us alive. Especially those of us that can't handle rejection of that magnitude. It's not easy to just cast logic into the wind and go for it. The lingering thought of "What if?" still exists and will inevitably resurface.

Logic keeps you alive? I dunno, it seems to be not doing so hot all out on its own when aspies interact with the world. And turning your brain off IS easy. Bblllaaaaaaa see? I just chant 'lets go bluejays lets go' when nessisary. Logically, its especially stupid to yell at your television screen and expect to be heard, yet perfectly sane and accomplished businessmen still do so on a regular basis.

Sometimes i think we're afraid we'll end up losing our sanity or something. Let it be known, yes, you can become delusional, but you'll never be illogical. Lolz. Illogical aspie? Who ISN'T delusional? No way. As for handling high level rejection. Well, this is where the above comes into play. Just, whatever. I think we suck every statement in and try to rationalize its cause. If a girl rejects you, well, meh. I don't care. I mean i do... but... ugh. It gets worse for us i think, since we can pick out potential partners... ones that pass the aspie test. And the aspie test is rigorous, since we overthink. As such, rejection is more likely to hit home. Have less faith in your testing system. If girl 'A' was right for you, i assume she'd say yes, lolz. Just admit you don't understand people, and you'll get farther. Its kinda strange we get hung up on rejection, as if we can somehow figure out why social things happened as they did. No we can't we're aspie, lolz. Being aspie and feeling rejection is a contradiction, technically... i mean... how do you know its not your shoes? You really don't, lolz. I know i don't. There's too many variables. You'll go nuts trying to figure them out, as i think many aspies do.

I'm bad at phrasing. >_>; Logic is essentially what keeps us from going over the deep end. By acknowledging that X scenario can present Y issue, one has to decide whether or not to engage in such a situation. I don't know about you, but turning off my brain is hard. I'd have to tape the switch to "OFF" and I don't have any brain tape. Otherwise, I'll be stuck having an "ON"/"OFF" war.

Truthfully, I'd like to keep my sanity where it's at...behind this stone wall. To me, I need my rejected advances to come with something other than "You're not what I'm looking for." I'm not one to ever catch on to why I was rejected and I WILL dwell on it until I figure it out. I really don't understand people; I'm good at reading an individual's habits, but that's as close as I get to understanding people. My theory: We get hung up on rejection because we are looking for someone that actually understands us and when we step outside of that comfort zone and get shot down, it feels like an ambush.

Personally, I don't like variables, so I choose to not deal with them...as far a relationship stuff goes. It keeps my sanity intact and I can run to escapism for the loneliness.

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 9:13 pm

Would all of this explain why some Aspies disappear in otherwise good relationships/friendships?

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 9:55 pm

A most curious thread.

Aspiemike asks "Is self-defeat a common trait among Aspie relationships?"
yes, I think so, for the reasons you state and more.

I can't figure out what LeLetch is talking about.

IlovemyAspie, what do you mean Aspies disapear? In what way do they disapear?

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 10:07 pm

GregCav wrote:
A most curious thread.

Aspiemike asks "Is self-defeat a common trait among Aspie relationships?"
yes, I think so, for the reasons you state and more.

I can't figure out what LeLetch is talking about.

IlovemyAspie, what do you mean Aspies disapear? In what way do they disapear?

By dissapear I mean stop communicating for periods of time.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 12:31 am

LeLetch likes to go on tangents from time to time. Even he admits that in some of his posts. I like to try and make my point.

I have disappeared in good relationships/friendships and may offer some illogical/flimsy excuses for doing so. That is saying that I will say anything at all.
Usually something overwhelming happens and they may do something that ultimately rejects them of happiness.

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 12:37 am

aspiemike wrote:
LeLetch likes to go on tangents from time to time. Even he admits that in some of his posts. I like to try and make my point.

I have disappeared in good relationships/friendships and may offer some illogical/flimsy excuses for doing so. That is saying that I will say anything at all.
Usually something overwhelming happens and they may do something that ultimately rejects them of happiness.

So what is someone supposed to do...just walk away??? I can't do that.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 12:46 am

IlovemyAspie wrote:

Some might have developed the ability to walk away easily. They already likely believed it wasn't meant to be based off constant rejections in their past and the belief that they are not meant to be happy and peaceful if they have already developed the self-defeating personality. Add the overthinking as LeLetch has also brought up before, and you got a recipe for disaster if there is no self-awareness.

Now don't be surprised if someone puts you through a test to see how strong and capable you are of sticking it out either. I know of a lot of people regardless of what issues they might have who like to do this.

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 12:51 am

aspiemike wrote:
IlovemyAspie wrote:

Some might have developed the ability to walk away easily. They already likely believed it wasn't meant to be based off constant rejections in their past and the belief that they are not meant to be happy and peaceful if they have already developed the self-defeating personality. Add the overthinking as LeLetch has also brought up before, and you got a recipe for disaster if there is no self-awareness.

Now don't be surprised if someone puts you through a test to see how strong and capable you are of sticking it out either. I know of a lot of people regardless of what issues they might have who like to do this.

I'm really glad you mentioned the "test" part. I had wondered if this might happen.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 12:53 am

IlovemyAspie wrote:

I'm really glad you mentioned the "test" part. I had wondered if this might happen.

Maybe its a good thing that was brought up. Maybe its a good idea to wonder what we all can do to enjoy ourselves without worrying about whether someone likes us or not and whether we will hear back from them anytime soon.

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 12:59 am

aspiemike wrote:
IlovemyAspie wrote:

Maybe its a good thing that was brought up. Maybe its a good idea to wonder what we all can do to enjoy ourselves without worrying about whether someone likes us or not and whether we will hear back from them anytime soon.

NT's sometimes need explanations so it's hard to just let it be and worry about other things. But I get what you are saying.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 1:02 am

IlovemyAspie wrote:

NT's sometimes need explanations so it's hard to just let it be and worry about other things. But I get what you are saying.

I'm not any different. I need explanations too, but I am actually kinda pissed that some people have the nerve to tell me "forget it, and move on." The irony of this is I am expected to give explanations as I found out from many other people :shrug:

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 1:07 am

aspiemike wrote:
IlovemyAspie wrote:

I'm not any different. I need explanations too, but I am actually kinda pissed that some people have the nerve to tell me "forget it, and move on." The irony of this is I am expected to give explanations as I found out from many other people :shrug:

The unanswered always haunts me because I feel it had something to do with me.

LeLetch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2013, 1:08 am

Jeez i know right? This LeLetch guy needs to be more NT. :P

As for self-defeatism, in the context as i understand it from the previous posts... aspies burn-out and they're very self-concious of it.

We can do great things, but we put so much in, too much, we focus in the extreme because we can't help ourselves. It happens so often to some, its just accepted as a fact of life, and haters are told to **** right off.
We go back to isolation and brood, making everything a terrible mess.

The sprint to burnout cycle gets better over time. In a relationship anyway. The worst thing you can do to a burnout aspie is trip balls. The reaction back at you can be vicious. If he/she is tired, and is tapped out of love for the moment, it's not hard to forget you ever wanted a relationship.

If you throw a bunch of nonsensical emotions at a burnout aspie, they'll generally just calmly pick you apart. Aspie relationships fall apart alot since an aspie burnout tends to result in lots of screaming and crying (from the shocked NT partner). Exactly the opposite of the correct approach.

A common mistake is thinking an aspie is naturally as passionate and emotional as he/she portrays in a relationship. Usually, they're on overdrive. The self-destruction cycle started Wwwwaaayyyy before you see the burnout.

Generally. Assuming we're talking about the focus > burnout > guilt cycle. We probably are.

There. Letch came back to earth just for ya'll. :P

Last edited by LeLetch on 02 Oct 2013, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 1:10 am

IlovemyAspie wrote:
aspiemike wrote:
IlovemyAspie wrote:

The unanswered always haunts me because I feel it had something to do with me.

Exactly how I end up feeling as well.

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 1:15 am

LeLetch wrote:
Jeez i know right? This LeLetch guy needs to be more NT. :P

As for self-defeatism, in the context as i understand it from the previous posts... aspies burn-out and they're very self-concious of it.

We can do great things, but we put so much in, too much, we focus in the extreme because we can't help ourselves. It happens so often to some, its just accepted as a fact of life, and haters are told to **** right off.
We go back to isolation and brood, making everything a terrible mess.

The sprint to burnout cycle gets better over time. In a relationship anyway. The worst thing you can do to a burnout aspie is trip balls. The reaction back at you can be vicious. If he/she is tired, and is tapped out of love for the moment, it's not hard to forget you ever wanted a relationship.

If you throw a bunch of nonsensical emotions at a burnout aspie, they'll generally just calmly pick you apart. Aspie relationships fall apart alot since an aspie burnout tends to result in lots of screaming and crying (from the shocked NT partner). Exactly the opposite of the correct approach.

A common mistake is thinking an aspie is naturally as passionate and emotional as he/she portrays in a relationship. Usually, they're on overdrive. The self-destruction cycle started Wwwwaaayyyy before you see the burnout.

Generally. Assuming we're talking about the focus > burnout > guilt cycle. We probably are.

There. Letch came back to earth just for ya'll. :P

Welcome back....I appreciate this response.