Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Sanome
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Sep 2013, 7:38 am

Ok, so I have thought about doing this for many years now, since i was about 14 years old, but I've never really had the guts to do or tell anyone about this "dream" or whatever I'm to call it. My family I've always imagined would find it a waste of time, pointless or a mission impossible that wouldn't really get me any further in life, and i guess in a way i fear the same, but then on the other hand if you never try you'll never know. I'm only getting older and at the age I'm at now, i feel like if i am to start as a musician at all, this is the time for me to dive into it. I do write songs every now and then, and i have a great ear for sounds, at least i think so. I have a keyboard, which i can play on with one hand by ear, but note wise/ two hand wise, i haven't gotten there yet - which i of course will teach myself before i go any further - I think you have to know how to play at least one instrument "in and out" before starting.

Continuing on to my point.. If everything goes as planned i will hopefully move to Scotland March/April next year. I'm moving there to get more working experience, to get a fresh start in a way, but also because i have a feeling i will become more goal termined, plus get a more positive vibe/ better inspiration there (since there's so many bad memories here, which only drags me down), hopefully leading me into finally taking a step further music wise. Does that make sense at all, or does it plainly sound like an idiotic reason for moving to another country, away from my family & friends?

Otherwise i don't know if i am to start up as a one man "band" or if i should find some people to make a group band with? I fear what it would be like in a group of many - arguments and disagreements that could occur, maybe even jealousy. But on the plus side i think it would easier to make music in a group since then there would be various people who'd have different talents at different instruments etc., but also you'd make new friends and feel a sense of belonging. What do you think sound as the best way to go, band or solo?

Feel free to shar your "story" if you'r in a similar situation :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 12:27 am

:idea: it generally takes roughly 10,000 hours [3 years] for average joe to gain proficiency in an instrument sufficient to be heard in public, unless one is gifted. practice practice practice!

SwampOwl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2013, 1:07 am

I tried to work with other musicians but it didn't work out. I usually couldn't express to them what was in my head, and when I could, they didn't want to go that direction.

So I decided I would just do the "one man band" thing. Got a few things worked out, but "the band" never seems able to meet to record Lol.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 1:08 am

SwampOwl wrote:
I tried to work with other musicians but it didn't work out. I usually couldn't express to them what was in my head, and when I could, they didn't want to go that direction.So I decided I would just do the "one man band" thing. Got a few things worked out, but "the band" never seems able to meet to record Lol.

at least technology is in your corner now with things like garageband.

SwampOwl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2013, 1:15 am

I don't get along well with technology. I prefer an analog sound anyway. I use a Tascom 4track Portastudio from the 1980's.
I'm trying to buy up blank cassette tapes before they go extinct.

But I appreciate the suggestion :D

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 12:14 am

I have had simular thoughts aswell since I have started to notice that I am actually better at playing then meny of the people I have seen in concert locally and the realization that I can pick up most any song I try to learn to some degree. I would need a band becouse I have too meny speech issues to sing lead on my own if at all and I know for me I would either have to lead my own band or follow the orders of anothers. I think most bands usually only have 1 or 2 leaders/writers and the rest are simply employees doing their job, some people play in multiple bands leaing their own than backing up others and both bands often use the same players so thats an option. I think its a good dream to pursue, I just have no one to do it with and no real way of finding good dedicated people to play with. The time to start I think was in high school however I could not do it then and had no friends. I would not plan on making a living at performing though in my opinion, for most people I know music is just a fun hobby and thats it, the real money is most often working music stores and repairing instruments, music instruction etc. The economey has only made that worse. Meny aspies have sucessfully played in bands so it can work.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 3:53 am

I released an album about two years ago that took me one year to create. I recorded it on Cubase but it went belly up. Still, one of the songs is getting attention in Europe so I can't complain.

Sanome
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Oct 2013, 6:31 am

I didn't really think anyone would reply to my post, but apparently i was wrong, so thanks for that :)

As one of you -AUNTBLABBY- mentioned it takes much time and practice when it comes to gaining skills in instruments which i was aware of in a way, though i hope it would be possible to get better at it in quicker than a year. If not that makes me think it could be better being in a band and learn as we roll sort of.

SWAMPOWL: What you experienced is sort of the thing i was a little worried about as well, there's both up and downsides to doing it on your own and working as a group in a band. I think i have to think hard before i make up my mind about it all, but in a way even though it seems to be more of a struggle at times, being in a band i imagine would be the most fun way to go :) LOL though after what you mentioned about recording etc. I can imagine that sometimes the band mates would from time to time experience difficulties in showing up every time the other's can. Though if people really wan't something they can always find time for it :) Are you still working on your music btw?

RAPIDROY: If you have a problem finding people to start a band with, what about hanging up posters, in which you write that you'r in the search for people to start a band together with, and that those who might be interested could give you a call. I can't promise it would work, but better to try than not to. Just imagine it could be easier for you if it is a little scary to walk around and ask people face to face first. At least with the poster way, you could prepare yourself a little beforehand.

REDROBIN: Congrats :)

SwampOwl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2013, 7:46 pm

Sanome wrote:
Are you still working on your music btw?

Yes. Music is a constant in my life. Whether listening to it, working out songs or just seeing what kind of different noises or sounds I can make. Finding the motivation to sit down to record, edit, etc., is a bit of a task for me though.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 7:58 pm

My main word of advice is not to make music your profession. Take it up as a hobby on the side, but make sure that you have a job through other means that can put bread on the table. I say this because very few musicians are able to fully support themselves on music alone, and I'd hate to see you end up in that sort of situation.

As for band or solo, that's more personal preference. It also depends on what instrument you play, how well you sing, how well you play said instrument, how good your songwriting is, etc. I'd probably say give it a shot solo, unless you have some friends that you could form a band with. I'd be interested in hearing some of your music if you're not too shy to share it.

Sanome
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Oct 2013, 8:15 am

SwampOwl wrote:
Sanome wrote:
Are you still working on your music btw?

Yes. Music is a constant in my life. Whether listening to it, working out songs or just seeing what kind of different noises or sounds I can make. Finding the motivation to sit down to record, edit, etc., is a bit of a task for me though.

It's good you get to do what you like/ have an interest for.

The recording part i can imagine would be kind of tricky at times, it might take many times of recordings before you finally are pleased with how it turned out - that can be trouble enough. Plus yes the editing. I haven't edited music myself yet, but it seems complicated. Luckily we have computers to edit on now - in some ways i guess it would be harder to do that some 30 years or so back in time.

Sanome
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Oct 2013, 8:30 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
My main word of advice is not to make music your profession. Take it up as a hobby on the side, but make sure that you have a job through other means that can put bread on the table. I say this because very few musicians are able to fully support themselves on music alone, and I'd hate to see you end up in that sort of situation.

As for band or solo, that's more personal preference. It also depends on what instrument you play, how well you sing, how well you play said instrument, how good your songwriting is, etc. I'd probably say give it a shot solo, unless you have some friends that you could form a band with. I'd be interested in hearing some of your music if you're not too shy to share it.

I wouldn't even consider quitting my job only to just focus on music - Not because of the money, but to feel like i also get to do something that makes a change in other's lives, plus you don't learn the same things from music as you do when you'r working. I have finished my education in child- youth care, so that's what i will be my job, and the other will be "on the side". Music will be something i work on after my work day is over, plus in week ends.

I usually learn very quickly if i am set for it and focused, so i think if i work hard i will get more experienced with my keyboard/piano playing. I have a Roland keytar i bought a few months ago, though i sadly haven't gotten to use it yet since i have to buy a sound module for it first (that's the upside to keyboards, you don't need extra gear). Lol it's actually really tricky to find a sound module of my liking, which also isn't to expensive. At the moment I am thinking about starting with buying an old one, maybe Yamaha An-200. Oh, here i am changing topic sort of... I think i have to think very hard on if to go for band or solo, although i feel I'm skilled enough at singing and songwriting, there's also so many things that i wouldn't know how to do if i was to do it all on my own. Arfh.. decision making - not my best side. As for friends and starting a band, none of my friends actually have an interest for music in that manner so that won't happen. If i decide to form a band, i guess i'll have to go out and search for people.