Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 10:25 am

My eye doctor put special drops in my eyes that kept them dilated for a few hours. Later I looked in the mirror to see them almost fully dilated, and though it was too bright I liked the way my eyes looked dilated. Would I be able to buy eye drops like that at a pharmacy? And is it safe to keep your eyes dilated?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 10:40 am

In past history, women used to dilate their pupils with the use of a rather deadly plant extract, because dilated pupils do indeed appear to be more appealing to human beings. The drops which eye doctors use today are still based on the chemical in that plant, I gather.

It's long been known that the pupils of a person in love tend to dilate when looking at the person they love. Advertizing companies know that a print ad showing a person whose eyes have dilated pupils will be more appealing to consumers, so they often photoshop dilated pupils.

However, I wouldn't imagine it's a good thing to have your pupils dilated on a regular or prolonged basis. The pupils need to alter their size according to light levels, and to be able to constrict is a safety measure to protect your retinas and thus your vision.

I suppose you could always ask your eye doctor the same question you've asked here, just to confirm, as I'm not qualified to say but I'm just guessing that it's probably not a good thing to make a habit of.

Sanome
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Oct 2013, 11:45 am

I agree with Birdinflight - It doesn't sound like such a good idea to do that to your eyes. Besides i guess there also would be some later not so pleasing side effects to it.