Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

owlyellow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2013, 9:45 pm

I applied for an internship and they want to do a phone interview with me, which I have never done before. I'm terrified! This internship would be one step closer to being able to have my dream job.

Any advice? Have you ever had to do a phone interview before? I'm afraid I'll mess up somehow, or I won't know when/how to respond appropriately. Thanks in advance.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 9:50 pm

Yes I have done a few phone interviews. Have a set of potential interview questions and answers written or typed out and have them in front of you for the phone interview. Dress nice and sit up straight even for the phone interview (it's psychological and it made me feel more confident despite it being a phone interview). Do not hesitate to have a question repeated to make sure you hear it correctly. Maybe google internship phone interview as well there may be other great tips there. Good luck.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 10:06 pm

I find phone interviews to be easier than live interviews.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2013, 10:10 pm

You'll do fine. Just remember to answer all the questions in the context of your own life, being careful to step around extraneous information. They're right, it's all psychological. Drink some tea and get a good meal in beforehand, that's what I do at least.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

05 Oct 2013, 6:22 am

Gazelle wrote:
Yes I have done a few phone interviews. Have a set of potential interview questions and answers written or typed out and have them in front of you for the phone interview. Dress nice and sit up straight even for the phone interview (it's psychological and it made me feel more confident despite it being a phone interview). Do not hesitate to have a question repeated to make sure you hear it correctly. Maybe google internship phone interview as well there may be other great tips there. Good luck.

This is good advice. Also, I would recommend practicing by speaking aloud your answers to common interview questions in front of the mirror, so that you get used to saying them naturally and spontaneously.

owlyellow

14 Oct 2013, 6:51 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

So they ended up emailing me again to reschedule the interview, and the interview was supposed to happen today. (20 minutes ago to be exact.) They never called me! What the heck do I do now? I spent so much time preparing and researching, and I felt like I was actually ready! Ugh.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 11:08 pm

Owlyellow that is wonderful that you were ready and keep the notes you made to answer the interview questions so you will be ready when the interview is scheduled again.

owlyellow

14 Oct 2013, 11:21 pm

Update: about an hour after my last comment, they called. My interviewer got confused about the times zones (I'm an hour ahead).

I *think* it went well. She told me that I would be a really good fit, but she still had two more interviews to go before she could tell me anything. I'm supposed to hear back this week. I'll be crossing my fingers all week.

Thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement. It really helps a lot!