Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Oct 2013, 5:46 am

We're coming up on nanowrimo again. Here's the website - it gives preparation tips etc.

National Novel Writing Month
www.nanowrimo.org

NaNoWriMo is an annual (November) novel writing project that brings together professional and amateur writers from all over the world.

I don't have a novel in the works, but maybe I'll use the impetus to finish my non-fiction, or at least work it up to the next level.

Anybody interested?

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 6:01 am

I've done it twice now. Getting across the finish line is a great, great feeling.

I'm not sure if I will do it this year.

I thoroughly recommend the book "No plot? No problem" by Chris Baty.

You don't need to start with any ideas, any roadmap at all. I started my first on the first day with a blank computer screen and went from there. Once you get into it, it's a very liberating process.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Oct 2013, 6:05 am

Would you clarify that a bit for me? It's very encouraging. But I can't imagine writing fiction - or should I just start typing and let it be what it is? I go totally blank at the very idea.

But I would love it.

octobertiger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 6:48 am

Awwwwwwwh. It's the most liberating feeling in the world. You turn off your internal editor. and you just write.

Things come together. Ideas. Now, you'll have periods where that is difficult, and you'll find it very frustrating at times (week two onwards).

It's a completely different way of thinking. After a while, the characters help develop the story, the plot can drive itself, and you'll have moments of genius.

If you want the full experience, just write. Give yourself permission to write whatever it is you need to write! Even if it is rubbish. At my best point, I did 23000 in a day, no problem - I was flowing. It was just a great feeling - it was pouring out, and that part of the story was actually the best.

The experience will help you write what you want to write in the future. And, maybe you'll discover what you really want to write isn't what you thought you 'should' write anyway!

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 7:45 am

I'm looking forward to it. I used to attempt this a few years ago on writing forums when I was less experienced and had more issues both directly related to writing and other issues that just got in the way. Never got very far into any attempt to write out a story.

But now that I've fixed numerous things in my life, and I'm pretty successful in writing now. Although I haven't been able to write much in the last few days because I'm recovering from surgery. Being on prescribed painkillers tends to smother creativity let alone being awake, but this morning is the first day I've woken up without any pain like I was experiencing over the last few days. Hopefully I can get back to it.

I look forward to it nonetheless.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 9:31 am

I'll be doing NaNoWriMo this year, years after seeing it as a hipster fad. At least that's what I thought in college. Bad news is I need to find a real job soon. And a heavy duty keyboard.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

10 Oct 2013, 11:28 am

I did it for the first time last year. Definitely a worthy experience. c:

Zephyo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2013, 1:02 pm

I plan on writing something, but it might be considered 'cheating' since I've been mulling over it for years but not writing on it. Considering the spirit of the event, I don't really care if it's cheating- I want this on paper, so I prove to myself that I can write a book.