Ever met anyone on a dating site?

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2013, 10:07 am

If there are any guys out there who have ever met anyone on a dating site then please tell me what you did! I've been on several, and have spent long hours writing out descriptions and pms but no girl ever returns them or contacts me. How do I do it?

I'm most interested in hearing from other guys especially if successful in this area.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 10:24 am

Ramp up your frequency of sending out messages. You can also ask for constructive criticism from the members of this forum to judge your profile... :)

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2013, 10:29 am

I don't go on dating sites, so I cannot speak from personal experience. However what exactly do you write in your messages? Also, what is in your profile? How is your display picture that you use? There may be many things other than your messages which are the reasons these people do not respond.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2013, 10:32 am

i have met a few people in the past. they weren't very nice.

Bitoku
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2013, 2:07 pm

I have before. Nothing really ever came of it, but it wasn't all disasterous either. Ironically I've had more success from MMOs than dating sites, but that's probably because I've spent a lot more time on them than dating sites. I personally know several so far successful couples that met on dating sites though.

For advice, I agee with Stalk, use the shotgun approach. PM every girl you find on the site that seems like someone you might possibly be interested in. It's really hard to tell what someone is really like from their profile, so unless they list somethnig in it that's an absolute deal breaker for you, just send them a message and see if you can get a PM conversation going, it can't hurt.

rickith
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2013, 4:52 pm

Yes, I've had success in the sense that I've been chatting with various girls and have been on a date with one of them.

I use a dating site that has a bit of a different approach than conventional dating sites. Basically you don't have a public profile and because of that you can not search for contacts (also nice in terms of privacy). You rely on the site to automatically match you with someone that it thinks you'd a good match with. Once you get a match added to your contact list it's like any other dating site, you start chatting. There's one notable exception though. You can not see the other person's photos untill you've chatted a certain amount. This obviously works both ways, sometimes it'll be an attractive person, other times it will not be. At the very least it'll give both parties a chance to get to know the person a little bit before looks come in to play.

The site also takes into consideration the amount of matches made and tries to avoid matching a specific person to too many other people in a given time. This prevents people from getting matched to 100s of people. Obviously this site has a similar male to female ratio as any other dating site so girls will still get more matches, but it is controlled a bit.

As for my success on the site, so far I've only had one actual date but there's a few maybes on my list. I've had contact with quite a few girls and at the very least the girls reply; not all of them are good matches but that's to be expected.

The site in question is paiq.nl, but it seems like it caters specifically to my country and doesn't look very internationally oriented...

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 6:30 am

I've gotten a few dates out of it, nothing more. What did I do? I wrote a broad profile that wouldn't cut out too many types of women, I copied a few bits of it from other profiles, I injected a little humor and I made sure only to use photos that aren't selfies. Selfies always look terrible.

I use custom request lines not the premade ones, I make requests go girls while they're online because they seem to be a bit more likely to accept if they know you're available for chatting immediately. I search with newest members first so I can get ones that haven't already gotten hundreds of requests.

As an above poster said spam many women per day to increase your odds of success. Don't be surprised if the really ones don't even bother to reject you, they get hundreds of requests a day. Don't be surprised if you get accepted by scammers. It's happened to me twice but they're easy to spot.

hanshotfirst
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Oct 2013, 7:04 am

Been on a lot of dates, some went well and others not so great, currently taken though but it's a good experience on a dating site but IMO talk to people in real life if you actually want to get better at socializing with people.

Best thing you can do is keep the profile short but make it interesting enough, add a few jokes, be a fun guy, have a positive attitude and don't take rejection personally. Getting messages is really a case of having the right photo combination with the right profile, it's not really "you" as a person.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2013, 8:46 pm

I've met tons of people from them, but none of those have developed into actual relationships. The best advice I can give is to give people a reason to want to interact with you...something that makes you unique. Also, you said you spend long hours writing your profile/messages...how detailed are you making them? If you make either your profile or your messages too long no one will read either of them. For messages I usually keep it to 3-6 sentences for a first message, and on subsequent replies keep my messages similar in length to theirs.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2013, 3:43 pm

Amazing replies here everyone, this has given me loads to look through and such good advice.

Stargazer43 wrote:
I've met tons of people from them, but none of those have developed into actual relationships. The best advice I can give is to give people a reason to want to interact with you...something that makes you unique. Also, you said you spend long hours writing your profile/messages...how detailed are you making them? If you make either your profile or your messages too long no one will read either of them. For messages I usually keep it to 3-6 sentences for a first message, and on subsequent replies keep my messages similar in length to theirs.

The reason I take so long is that my life is not very interesting to an outsider's perspective. I can't say I go out a drink all the time which is what everyone wants to hear in Britain, it's crap. I don't have many friends so I can't say I go out with all my great bunch of super amazing pals all the time, so that's crap. It gets difficult to write. There are also thousands of possible things you could say / not say so it's difficult to know what is and isn't appropriate. If you just want to know activities rather than what kind of person I am then I will have little to add.

In the past I also made the big mistake of signing up when I felt alone and depressed, bad idea; always sign up when you feel positive about yourself first; deal with the emotional stuff without reacting to it when you feel bad.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 4:31 pm

Yes!

I met my husband on a dating site. Not the man who would become my husband, but the man from whom I was by then legally separated. I'd joined the dating site out of nosiness because he had found a girlfriend on that site, and I was curious about the woman who was spending time with my son and now living part-time in the house which I still owned with my husband.

My husband saw my profile and sent me a message. He was still with the girlfriend at that time. Anyway, I realised at once who he was (from his writing style) and got back to him. Despite me dropping some extremely heavy hints about my identity, including a reference to the Piña Colada song where a husband and wife meet through a lonely hearts ad, he didn't work it out until I eventually sent him the link to my photo! :lol:

I wanted to link to the Piña Colada song, but don't know how.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 5:04 pm

Adamantus wrote:
The reason I take so long is that my life is not very interesting to an outsider's perspective. I can't say I go out a drink all the time which is what everyone wants to hear in Britain, it's crap. I don't have many friends so I can't say I go out with all my great bunch of super amazing pals all the time, so that's crap. It gets difficult to write. There are also thousands of possible things you could say / not say so it's difficult to know what is and isn't appropriate. If you just want to know activities rather than what kind of person I am then I will have little to add.

I can assure you, your perceptions are little more than an illusion. Most people may enjoy going out for drinks with a bunch of friends, but the very definition of unique is being different from "most people". And having unique qualities give you a way to separate yourself from the crowd, to stand out. You just have to learn to phrase them in a positive, rather than negative, light. Of course, that is often easier said than done.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2013, 5:16 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
Adamantus wrote:

I can assure you, your perceptions are little more than an illusion. Most people may enjoy going out for drinks with a bunch of friends, but the very definition of unique is being different from "most people". And having unique qualities give you a way to separate yourself from the crowd, to stand out. You just have to learn to phrase them in a positive, rather than negative, light. Of course, that is often easier said than done.

This stuff is dated as I formed these ideas about dating at a bad time in life so I'll probably do better next time. Still can't imagine what I'll say though.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 5:56 pm

Marcia wrote:
Yes!

I met my husband on a dating site. Not the man who would become my husband, but the man from whom I was by then legally separated. I'd joined the dating site out of nosiness because he had found a girlfriend on that site, and I was curious about the woman who was spending time with my son and now living part-time in the house which I still owned with my husband.

My husband saw my profile and sent me a message. He was still with the girlfriend at that time. Anyway, I realised at once who he was (from his writing style) and got back to him. Despite me dropping some extremely heavy hints about my identity, including a reference to the Piña Colada song where a husband and wife meet through a lonely hearts ad, he didn't work it out until I eventually sent him the link to my photo! :lol:

How do you retain your faith in men after that!?

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 7:03 pm

I only ever got messages from Women on dating sites when it involved me paying a subscription fee, of course this has made me cynical to the extent that I treat dating sites as a joke and so make up crazy profiles.

I did one were I said I was interested in meeting multiple Women so that I could swindle them out of money and leave them broken hearted and penniless, that profile seemed to be more successful at attracting Female attention than the one in which I gave a truly honest description of myself, telling of the Childhood that left me a bit broken.

Maybe there is such a Women in the world who would care to mend a broken child, but I doubt it, not whilst there are rapists and child abusers they can date.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 7:04 pm

leafplant wrote:
Marcia wrote:
Yes!

How do you retain your faith in men after that!?

Oh, as far as my relationship with my ex-husband goes, that was one of the more light-hearted moments! And I have far more serious reasons than that to lose faith in men.

However, most men are decent people.

Having said that, I have been happily single now for over 6 years and it's only been in the past few months that I've considered having another relationship. My son is only 11 though, and for now and the next 6 or 7 years, he comes first.