Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 9:14 pm

I have been getting more into running lately. Running-wise I seem to be doing fine, but one thing that really bothers me is my shoulders. I notice that after about 5-10min of running, my shoulders start to ache really badly, presumably from being jostled around so much (if I run on a treadmill and hold the handrails it dramatically lessens the aching feeling). It's not really a sore or painful feeling, more just a really uncomfortable ache. It goes away pretty much the second I stop running. The feeling is concentrated purely in my shoulders, and my upper back right around my shoulders. This is the most uncomfortable aspect of running for me...I think that I need to prevent it if I want to start increasing my distance beyond 3-4 miles.

I know that you should keep your shoulders relaxed but mine are always about as relaxed as they can be lol. I've tried doing all sorts of different things with my arms, and so far it seems to help the most if I let my arms hang straight down at the shoulders, and then bend my elbows really high up so that my hands are almost level with my shoulders. I look kind of like a crazy person doing it, but it does lessen the aching feeling a decent amount. The ache is still there when I do this though, it is just half as bad as opposed to being 100% as bad.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Does anyone know of anything I can try, to reduce the aching?

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2013, 9:30 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
I have been getting more into running lately. Running-wise I seem to be doing fine, but one thing that really bothers me is my shoulders. I notice that after about 5-10min of running, my shoulders start to ache really badly, presumably from being jostled around so much (if I run on a treadmill and hold the handrails it dramatically lessens the aching feeling). It's not really a sore or painful feeling, more just a really uncomfortable ache. It goes away pretty much the second I stop running. The feeling is concentrated purely in my shoulders, and my upper back right around my shoulders. This is the most uncomfortable aspect of running for me...I think that I need to prevent it if I want to start increasing my distance beyond 3-4 miles.

I know that you should keep your shoulders relaxed but mine are always about as relaxed as they can be lol. I've tried doing all sorts of different things with my arms, and so far it seems to help the most if I let my arms hang straight down at the shoulders, and then bend my elbows really high up so that my hands are almost level with my shoulders. I look kind of like a crazy person doing it, but it does lessen the aching feeling a decent amount. The ache is still there when I do this though, it is just half as bad as opposed to being 100% as bad.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Does anyone know of anything I can try, to reduce the aching?

I have had that too, really uncomfortable. For some reason, when I strengthened my core and shoulder area ( with pushups, planks, and crunches) it went away. I guess for me it had to do with a weak central core. Hope that helps.
Happy running. :)

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 3:40 am

Pain behind the upper right shoulder blade in particular is associated with the liver/gallbladder. This is because when either is inflamed a nerve that runs through that region can be 'squashed' slightly.

Just something to be aware of in case it gets worse or you have other symptoms.

Happy running too.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 2:35 am

Maybe dehydration. Do you drink a lot of water, and do you bring water with you when exercising? Try Gatorade if you dislike water. Water seems to work the best for me. The other day my lips turned blue and my eyes swelled in from being dehydrated. I had no idea; I felt wonderful and very cool when it was boiling hot outside.

http://www.healthcentral.com/sexual-hea ... pasms.html

wavecannon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2013, 6:40 pm

Would be worth going to a running shoes shop, as many clerks there do free gait analysis-style stuff where you can demonstrate on a treadmill. It may be your gait, but tell them your problem and see what they'd think. I know you said it's fine when running on a treadmill, but it would still be worth telling them what sort of ground you normally run on and how long it takes for the aches to arise.

Palakol
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2013, 2:27 am

Running form matters. A lot of people run improperly, and they usually develop some kind of pain somewhere. You could also have a weak joint somewhere that compromised the integrity of the whole system. (Sometimes people have weak ankles, so their knee compensates and gets an overuse injury, and before they know it they have hip problems.)

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 2:04 pm

I get that, too, sometimes. In my case, I think it is a combination of poor posture and a weak core. I had a back and neck injury a while ago, was limited in what I could do physically for a while and lost a good bit of strength my back/core, due to that. And, that was when my shoulder pain started. I found that when I was able to get back into lifting again that helped a good bit.

Kateplus6
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Oct 2013, 8:16 pm

definitely strengthen the shoulders, back and abs! that should help!!

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2013, 8:11 am

I used to experience this. I was told to pretend I was running whilst holding a butterfly in my hand - it made me relax and keep my shoulders down while I ran.