Posting controversial statuses on facebook...

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

aspieMD
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 133

13 Oct 2013, 10:59 pm

I think I have a serious empathy problem, which really is not good at all due to the fact that I'm going to become a doctor.

I have very strong political beliefs that I like to share on facebook. I honestly think some people might benefit from reading my thought process and considering my point of view.

Recently, I posted this:

"Proof of what I heard through the grapevine as a [job title at pro israel advocacy group I worked for] all along. This "corruption" is for a purpose: because they WANT their people to suffer so that they can blame the suffering on Israel, and get enough pity to convince the world wipe out Israel. It's all a matter of regional hegemony. Differing ideology - the reactionary Palestinians vs. the progressive Israelis – perhaps made worse with a dash of vengeance.

Honestly, I don't get why people want Palestine to replace Israel. It's like choosing the Stone Age over the 21st century. People who believe that, do you think America should be replaced by the native Americans too? If the entire American continent is not an occupation, I don't know what is (there were plenty of Jews in Palestine before it became Israel, whereas there were no long-term permanent resident Europeans in America before Columbus). Why don't you fight for that cause instead? Oh wait, I forgot, y'all are a bunch of antisemites.

I'm all for a two-state solution, but I don't understand why anyone would want to completely replace beautiful, developed, technologically and socially advanced Israel with a corrupt, misogynistic, homophobic Palestine."

I got a scathing email from my parents about how I'm an idiot for posting controversial things and that I'm going to make enemies from it. Really? Enemies? From that? Honestly, I see this as a way of filtering out the stupid people I don't want to associate or be friends with on facebook.

Note that my class is unanimously zionist, and I live in a VERY Christian, Zionist region, so I don't see how this would hurt me professionally.

Can someone please try to assume the point of view of someone who would consider me an enemy because of it? Why are my parents and siblings freaking out so much over this? Note that they agree with me completely. They act like sharing any kind of opinion is bad and wrong.... I don't get it!! ! I posted this and my parents think I need psychological help.

I even backed up my sources for misogynistic and homophobic with scholarly articles... so it's not like I"m spewing crap.

I responded with this:

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" – Winston Churchill

Basically the reason I don't care about posting things that are controversial. I'm not afraid of stating my opinion and standing up for what I believe in. And if someone would make me an enemy over that, then good riddance.

I have friends I disagree with on many fundamental issues but they are still my friends. I have friends who post opinions I disagree with all the time, but if they mean well, I don't think ill of them for it, and I expect the same in return. This doesn't mean I should be discouraged from posting my opinions – because they're just that, opinions. I'm NOT holding people at gun point forcing them to agree with me or die.

Facebook is, to me, an informal platform. I say things on here I would never say in a professional setting. I would never bring my political or ideological beliefs into my practice as a physician, but I don't see anything wrong with posting it on my personal platform. So if anyone here sees the things I post and deems me unprofessional, well, who in the world is professional all the time, everywhere? Facebook, to me, is more of a bar than a boardroom."

Note that both my posts got plenty of "likes".

Can someone explain to me why it was unwise to post that? My parents say it's because people don't care about my opinions, well I mean, I don't care about 90% of the stuff I see on facebook (party photos, those stupid game invites, etc.)



wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,344

13 Oct 2013, 11:16 pm

I know nothing about the politics of a medical career or if that could come back to bite you, or if anyone would even care, but probably to be safe you might want to keep political stuff off fb. Or don't and see what happens.



rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Dec 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,411
Location: Ontario Canada

13 Oct 2013, 11:30 pm

This is why I don't post alot on FB, I have to meny strong opinions and no real way to know what content will come back to bite later. Also I figure people don't really want to hear my political opinions as FB really for most is a dumb tool for social upkeep, not a platform for anything like the OP has written. I would like to read my friends political opinions and perfer to use their posts as a guide for mine to respond to and build on. Content wise I see nothing bad with what the OP wrote myself, I just would avoid posting that kind of contant every single day or only that type of post becouse after all its a social network not just a soapbox.



EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 390

14 Oct 2013, 12:26 am

Think about how you would feel if you read that status and you happened to be Palestinian, even a Palestinian who was born overseas. How would you like it if someone called your heritage stone age. Even someone who is a hard core Zionist can read that there are racist undertones to what you have said even if you did not intend for it to come out that way. Just because someone is a Zionist doesn't mean they don't respect Palestinian culture.


_________________
"Our motto ? the motto of the great order... which has... existed since the very dawn of civilization on the earth ? is ?Try.?? - PBR

http://sites.google.com/site/esotericresearch Esoteric Research Press


Callista
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,775
Location: Ohio, USA

14 Oct 2013, 1:40 am

I do think that kind of thing could get you in trouble--socially, though perhaps not professionally. It's not really that you're talking about politics; it's that you're doing it in a confrontational sort of way. Your tone says, "You're stupid if you disagree with me." You also called them "a bunch of antisemites" and characterized an entire group of people as homophobic and misogynistic. You don't want to call somebody a bigot unless they really are one and you're calling them out on it.

When you are about to say something that might upset someone, ask yourself why you need to say it and whether there is a way to reach that goal without upsetting people. It's okay to say things that upset people, if you really need to, if it's important--but if you don't need to, why do it? There's enough unpleasantness in the world without starting more arguments.

You should try to find less dogmatic ways to talk about your opinions. Explain your beliefs instead of bashing your opponents. Remember that the people who disagree with you are still human beings whom you should treat with respect and politeness. Avoid logical fallacies and emotional arguments; seek to understand your opponent's position.


_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com


aspieMD
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 133

14 Oct 2013, 2:25 am

rapidroy wrote:
This is why I don't post alot on FB, I have to meny strong opinions and no real way to know what content will come back to bite later. Also I figure people don't really want to hear my political opinions as FB really for most is a dumb tool for social upkeep, not a platform for anything like the OP has written. I would like to read my friends political opinions and perfer to use their posts as a guide for mine to respond to and build on. Content wise I see nothing bad with what the OP wrote myself, I just would avoid posting that kind of contant every single day or only that type of post becouse after all its a social network not just a soapbox.


I don't post it every day. Maybe I post a political status like once a month, at most.



aspieMD
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 133

14 Oct 2013, 2:28 am

Callista wrote:
I do think that kind of thing could get you in trouble--socially, though perhaps not professionally. It's not really that you're talking about politics; it's that you're doing it in a confrontational sort of way. Your tone says, "You're stupid if you disagree with me." You also called them "a bunch of antisemites" and characterized an entire group of people as homophobic and misogynistic. You don't want to call somebody a bigot unless they really are one and you're calling them out on it.

When you are about to say something that might upset someone, ask yourself why you need to say it and whether there is a way to reach that goal without upsetting people. It's okay to say things that upset people, if you really need to, if it's important--but if you don't need to, why do it? There's enough unpleasantness in the world without starting more arguments.

You should try to find less dogmatic ways to talk about your opinions. Explain your beliefs instead of bashing your opponents. Remember that the people who disagree with you are still human beings whom you should treat with respect and politeness. Avoid logical fallacies and emotional arguments; seek to understand your opponent's position.


I changed it to this. Is it better?

Quote:
Proof of what I heard through the grapevine as an Israel Advocacy Correspondent all along. This "corruption" is for a purpose: because they WANT their people to suffer so that they can blame the suffering on Israel, and get enough pity to convince the world wipe out Israel. It's all a matter of regional hegemony. Differing ideology - the reactionary Palestine vs. the progressive Israel – perhaps made worse with a dash of vengeance.

Honestly, I don't get why people want Palestine to replace Israel entirely. Palestinians definitely deserve a homeland just like Jews do, but I think a one-state solution is not the progressive solution. People who believe in a one-state, Palestine-only solution, I would like to ask you: By your definition, wouldn't the entire American continent be more of an occupation than Israel is, and therefore must be returned to the Native Americans? (There were plenty of Jews in Palestine before it became Israel, whereas there were no long-term permanent resident Europeans in America before Columbus). Given that these people aren't fighting tooth and nail against America's existence, despite the fact that America was taken from the Native Americans against their will, wouldn't that be evidence of antisemitism?

I'm all for a two-state solution, but I don't understand why anyone would want to completely replace beautiful, developed, technologically advanced Israel with a corrupt, manipulative, and self-serving (not to mention homophobic and misogynist) Palestinian government. And its a shame that Palestinian civillians got caught in the middle of all this, because they are the ones who suffer needlessly at the hands of their government.

Read this article. It's a side most people have no idea about.



Shikari
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,378

14 Oct 2013, 3:38 am

I have several Facebook friends who post nothing but controversial topics and views. I will overlook some of these types of posts and not give much thought to them or the person who wrote them. It give annoying when you see post after post of controversial topics, and they can get quite flaming. At that post I usually hide the persons post from my news feed so they aren't flooding the page. From your earlier post, you said you maybe post one of these topics once a month or so. I personally think that is fine. Nothing to get upset over.
Facebook can and will hurt people in their professional lives because your employers and colleagues will see your FB. Employers have many tricks up their sleeves about checking out their employees' pages, and a lot of people have been fired because of the things the post on the page. Also hiring companies will likely check out your page before hire. So it good to remember that FB is not private, and some of the things you write might end up hurting you one day.
Some people seem to get so offended over the slightest things may it be political, religious, or whatever it is. It can cause a lot of tension at times, and some of the people with the strongest views don't care enough to take the time to consider other POV's. This is pure arrogance, and not a holistic way of approaching these topics.
For me personally, I never post about my political views. I have very strong view points, but I tend to keep them to myself. This is especially true on FB. Actually, I rarely update my status anyway, but that's not the point. Honestly, sometimes keeping your mouth shut is the best thing to do. It saves a lot of trouble. I know you said you don't care about making enemies if it means you are standing up for what you believe in. That's a good view to have, but I personally think it's wise to tone it down a bit.



Last edited by Shikari on 14 Oct 2013, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 836
Location: San Francisco, CA

14 Oct 2013, 5:17 am

I post strong political stuff now and then, but not all the time, not by a long shot. Facebook is mostly about cat pictures, anyway.

But people who ONLY post political stuff, especially ones that oppose my views, I just eventually start hiding their feeds. The urge to reply is strong, and it wastes a lot of time.



Last edited by monsterland on 14 Oct 2013, 5:25 am, edited 6 times in total.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,301

14 Oct 2013, 5:17 am

There is a person from my city I've never met (I kind of know someone they know) whose Facebook I look at occasionally and I already hate them so much because they post loads of judgmental political stuff (extremely christian, homophobic, transphobic, prolife, republican stuff) which are all the opposite of my beliefs.

I guess it's not too bad if you keep it private among a group of like minded friends but remember that if your Facebook is public anyone (including your current or future employer) can see that and it could make you lose or not get a job.



aspieMD
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 133

14 Oct 2013, 9:46 am

hanyo wrote:
There is a person from my city I've never met (I kind of know someone they know) whose Facebook I look at occasionally and I already hate them so much because they post loads of judgmental political stuff (extremely christian, homophobic, transphobic, prolife, republican stuff) which are all the opposite of my beliefs.

I guess it's not too bad if you keep it private among a group of like minded friends but remember that if your Facebook is public anyone (including your current or future employer) can see that and it could make you lose or not get a job.


1. I post such statuses maybe once a month
2. My privacy settings are friends only.



aspieMD
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 133

14 Oct 2013, 10:39 am

My parents are now even making me remove the churchill status... they said either do that or remove all our family and family friends off my friends list because I'm an embarrassment.

I don't even understand how that can be bad at all......Can someone explain?

I've never felt so socially clued out before!! !!



Callista
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,775
Location: Ohio, USA

14 Oct 2013, 11:15 am

AspieMD--yes, that is a better version. I especially appreciate that you made a point of not blaming civilians for what their government does. As an American, I often find my government doing things I don't like--that doesn't mean I agree with it. America is my home, and there are many good things about it, but sometimes what my leaders do makes me sad.


_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com


Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 699

14 Oct 2013, 11:26 am

I seriously think your parents have serious problems if they object even to the Churchill quote!! I might even put that on my own Facebook and see what reaction I get...


_________________
Your Aspie score: 98 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 103 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits
AQ: 33


aspieMD
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 133

14 Oct 2013, 12:59 pm

Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
I seriously think your parents have serious problems if they object even to the Churchill quote!! I might even put that on my own Facebook and see what reaction I get...


Sigh. Maybe it is an aspie thing. Putting utmost importance in bringing the truth to light without giving a crap about social harmony.

I feel like the whole world was given a magical social manual that I never got and it drives me crazy to no end. Sometimes I feel like life is not with living because no matter how hard I try I can't get it right. Any accomplishments I make are obscured and trivialized due to my lack of social skills.



Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 699

17 Oct 2013, 2:02 pm

aspieMD wrote:
Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
I seriously think your parents have serious problems if they object even to the Churchill quote!! I might even put that on my own Facebook and see what reaction I get...


Sigh. Maybe it is an aspie thing. Putting utmost importance in bringing the truth to light without giving a crap about social harmony.

I feel like the whole world was given a magical social manual that I never got and it drives me crazy to no end. Sometimes I feel like life is not with living because no matter how hard I try I can't get it right. Any accomplishments I make are obscured and trivialized due to my lack of social skills.


The social "harmony" is often a house of cards that will fall apart just as soon as a hole is poked in the web of lies needed to maintain it! I like to just knock down such unstable structures right away and build a house of BLOCKS on the foundation of truth!

Maybe NT's are just more self-deceptive and don't even let painful truths reach consciousness? Maybe they see my house of cards as more stable than I see it.


_________________
Your Aspie score: 98 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 103 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits
AQ: 33