Could a Person with Asperger's syndrome be a Construction Wo

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mikecartwright
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2013, 1:14 am

My question is could a Person with Asperger's syndrome become a Construction Laborer/Worker ?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5050602_become- ... orker.html

http://www.careersinconstruction.ca/faq

http://www.snagajob.com/job-description ... ion-worker

nopenope
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2013, 1:28 am

Yes.

But it would be challenging to someone who has auditory processing issues (but hearing protection might not look as out of place as in other contexts).

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 1:35 am

A person with AS can be anything they want to be. Except a unicorn.

When I was a kid I had a summer job as an "assistant" installing underground power lines. It was easy enough, as long as you're physically able and not too clumsy to use power tools. It may be difficult for a native to get the less skilled construction jobs in the US.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 11:13 pm

JitakuKeibiinB wrote:

This.

I've done various construction jobs. Mind you, I'm better at them now that my symptoms are minimal vs. when symptoms were bad. Same would go for any job, really. The higher functioning you are with minimal symptoms, the better you're going to be able to do any job you set out to do. There were times when my balance and coordination and motor skills were pretty bad and I couldn't safely work construction jobs, so really it's all about your own personal assessment of yourself. If you're capable and willing, go for it and do whatever job you want to do.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 10:36 pm

Depends on the person. Sometimes yes, other times no. I would be in the later category.

Red_Dispatch
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2013, 1:28 am

goldfish21 wrote:
JitakuKeibiinB wrote:

This.

I've done various construction jobs. Mind you, I'm better at them now that my symptoms are minimal vs. when symptoms were bad. Same would go for any job, really. The higher functioning you are with minimal symptoms, the better you're going to be able to do any job you set out to do. There were times when my balance and coordination and motor skills were pretty bad and I couldn't safely work construction jobs, so really it's all about your own personal assessment of yourself. If you're capable and willing, go for it and do whatever job you want to do.

I was not aware that the degree of AS symptoms could change... They can??

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 3:43 am

Red_Dispatch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
JitakuKeibiinB wrote:

This.

I was not aware that the degree of AS symptoms could change... They can??

Yes, they can & do. I've had numerous symptoms change over time. I've had periods of poor balance/motor skills, high anxiety, audio hypersensitivity/sensory overload to the point that I couldn't sleep even w/ earplugs in because I could hear traffic driving by all night long, executive functions barely functioning at all.. etc. Since then I've been following a strict diet & treatment protocol for the last 5 months and have reduced symptoms, overall, by 95%+. So, yes, they can change - and now I can change them/improve them.