Controversial news posted by others on my Facebook wall

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 3:21 pm

Hey.

Someone posted a link which is a hotbed of different social and political topics on my wall.
No matter how I answer there are bound to be people that think I'm in some way a bigot if I as much as respond to something I never even asked to be on my wall.
I respect my friend's views equally on the subject, and do not wish to censor it...because why should I have to? So what do you suggest?

The link = story about 2 women exploiting the welfare system by saying they're bullied for their sexuality.
My views - gives homosexuals and genuine claimants of welfare a bad name, and is a further insult to the taxpayer. As much as I mentioned my view on this I doubt everyone is going to bother reading but instead pointing fingers.

So yeah, what would you do in this situation?

LogicalMolly
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2013, 4:46 pm

I would either delete the offending posts (assuming Facebook still allows you to do that) or just leave Facebook.

If it's causing you stress, why have an account there at all? Do you need an account for business reasons?

Sharkbait
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2013, 6:00 pm

Ignoring it is always an option. As is keeping an open mind, standing by your principles, and joining the discussion. You have a lot of options available. To name just a few: You don't have to read it, you don't have to respond to it, if you do throw your two cents in you don't have to respond to any of the replies. You're under no obligations.

Social discussions are based on a tenuous unwritten & unspoken contract of mutual participation. And with the tendency for political bullying over the past few years, I'm inclined to not participate. If you don't feel an overwhelming compulsion to set people straight I'd just leave it alone. I think the idiom "let sleeping dogs lie" is applicable here.

I don't do FB, but I suspect if it is your wall, you should be able to remove the comments.

I'm coming to realize that we're all messed up. The choice to play victim or not--to take control & responsibility--is the only bit fully within our control. I don't know for sure, but I suspect you're dealing with someone who has the victim mentality, and is comfortable in their adopted role. It's scary to take responsibility and figure out how it all works.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 6:03 pm

If you don't want stuff like that posted on your wall, tell people.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 7:58 pm

As one who is sympathetic to the "controversial" posts, I say it is your Facebook page. And if you don't want the material there, delete it and tell your friends not to post similar materials. If they are conservative, which sounds to be the case, just remind them of the concept of property rights.

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 9:13 am

This is one of the many reasons why I no longer have a facebook account.

anewman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2013, 10:55 am

I'd try to avoid having anyone who would do as such without good reason, as a "friend" on Facebook. Same with anyone who also did silly things like trying to tag me as a picture of something nasty. Worse things happen on FB.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 12:22 pm

Okay thank you everyone. I will just remove the story and say nothing about it, that suits me better.