Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 977
Location: Texas

26 Oct 2013, 10:00 am

That's my opinion of course, but I think anyone who watches his speeches with an open heart would tend to agree. He graduated from UCLA at 20, and Harvard Law School at 23. He worked with and was a close friend of the late Andrew Breitbart, whose website he now writes for as Editor-at-Large. He's written five books on various political subjects, the latest being titled Bullies: How The Left's Culture of Fear and Intimidation Silences America. In this presentation, he explains the main reason he believes the Republican Party failed to defeat Barack Obama in the 2012 Presidential election.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQmmbY5mbUc[/youtube]


_________________
God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.


thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,434
Location: County Down, Northern Ireland

26 Oct 2013, 10:36 am

its a source of comedy to me how the right wing can accuse anyone of bullying and keep a straight face.

America really dodged a bullet when it rejected Romney. He was one of the speculative investors that was partly responsible for the economic downturn.


_________________
Being 'normal' is over rated.

My deviant art profile


Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 977
Location: Texas

26 Oct 2013, 10:46 am

thomas81 wrote:
its a source of comedy to me how the right wing can accuse anyone of bullying and keep a straight face.
Oh, there's bullies on both sides, to be sure...but from what I've seen and read over the last few years, it seems there's many more active ones among the "liberal left". The key to differencing a bully from someone using a specific argument tactic is looking at the intent of the speaker. If their main approach consists of malicious insults and loads of swearing, they're a bully.

Quote:
America really dodged a bullet when it rejected Romney. He was one of the speculative investors that was partly responsible for the economic downturn.
I didn't want Romney at all; the only reason I voted for him was because I wanted Obama out, and wasn't aware other names could be written into the choices on the voting form at the time.


_________________
God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.


GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2007
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,959
Location: International House of Paincakes...

26 Oct 2013, 10:46 am

^ Naa... If Romney had made it, America would be a Social Darwinist's paradise as soon as the 47% (nonproductive takers) starved to death or died of exposure. :D


_________________
No man is free who is not master of himself.~Epictetus


Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 977
Location: Texas

26 Oct 2013, 10:51 am

For those who don't like watching long videos online, here's two shorter segments involving Ben Shapiro. The first is the full, highly-publicized session with Piers Morgan over gun control, and the second is an interview about his most recent book.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHIQtxLCgrM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXXRpsjCdxs[/youtube]


_________________
God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.


thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,434
Location: County Down, Northern Ireland

26 Oct 2013, 10:54 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
The key to differencing a bully from someone using a specific argument tactic is looking at the intent of the speaker. If their main approach consists of malicious insults and loads of swearing, they're a bully.


Why swearing? Its a legitimate form of hyperbole. If someone doesn't like swearing because of a weak resolve, its not an indictment of the person doing the swearing. I'm not a fan of verbal puritanism.

Quote:
I didn't want Romney at all; the only reason I voted for him was because I wanted Obama out, and wasn't aware other names could be written into the choices on the voting form at the time.

Voting against someone purely on the principle of disliking a figure is a bad way of voting. It ought to be measured against the policies of the person you choose to vote for, irrespective of how much you hate Obama. This is one of the reasons why America has turned into a Oligarchic madhouse where you could barely put a cigarette paper between the two parties in terms of their policies.


_________________
Being 'normal' is over rated.

My deviant art profile


Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 977
Location: Texas

26 Oct 2013, 10:56 am

thomas81 wrote:
Why swearing? Its a legitimate form of hyperbole. If someone doesn't like swearing because of a weak resolve, its not an indictment of the person doing the swearing. I'm not a fan of verbal puritanism.
I'm not a fan of foul language, especially the more crass terms like the F-bomb and such. It makes people sound unintelligent, and all too often, those who cuss a lot are using it solely to demean and berate people on a personal level. Calling names rarely takes any discussion very far.[/quote]

Quote:
Voting against someone purely on the principle of disliking a figure is a bad way of voting. It ought to be measured against the policies of the person you choose to vote for, irrespective of how much you hate Obama. This is one of the reasons why America has turned into a Oligarchic madhouse where you could barely put a cigarette paper between the two parties in terms of their policies.
Well, voting is the main avenue every citizen has for changing the political arena, and I had to choose someone. I made a mistake in not investigating Romney that much back then, but I've since done some research. I still don't think Romney would've been a very good President, but he'd have done a better job than Obama in my opinion.


_________________
God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.


Last edited by Moviefan2k4 on 26 Oct 2013, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,434
Location: County Down, Northern Ireland

26 Oct 2013, 10:59 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Voting against someone purely on the principle of disliking a figure is a bad way of voting. It ought to be measured against the policies of the person you choose to vote for, irrespective of how much you hate Obama. This is one of the reasons why America has turned into a Oligarchic madhouse where you could barely put a cigarette paper between the two parties in terms of their policies.
Well, voting is the main avenue every citizen has for changing the political arena, and I had to choose someone. I made a mistake in not investigating Romney that much back then, but I've since done some research. I still don't think Romney would've been a very good President, but he'd have done a better job than Obama in my opinion.

If you said you voted Romney because "you agreed with his policies" then that would be fine and good. Your first and only reason was though, that you dislike Obama. Its concerning for the health of American democracy when people are blindly voting for the GOP candidate purely on the back of disliking a democratic president. Especially the first black one. I genuinely wonder how much of the anti-obama sentiment is driven by sheer racism as opposed to an actual disagreement of his policies.

Weigh up all options based on policy. You might be sleepwalking into the worst of both worlds.


_________________
Being 'normal' is over rated.

My deviant art profile


Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 977
Location: Texas

26 Oct 2013, 11:03 am

The only thing I agreed with Romney on is that we need to solve our own problems here, instead of always trying to fix everyone else's at the same time. Most of the other members in the United Nations are our sworn enemies; I don;t understand why we as a country are even involved with that organization.


_________________
God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.


thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 May 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,434
Location: County Down, Northern Ireland

26 Oct 2013, 11:10 am

I don't understand your point. Most of America's adventures abroad are unilateralist and happening in spite of UN opinion. Particularly the 2003 invasion of Iraq. As far as I recall there was no UN sanction for that incursion in any shape or form. The UN's weapons inspectors found no evidence of WMD's and could give no reason for an invasion. Your argument is invalid.


_________________
Being 'normal' is over rated.

My deviant art profile


GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 May 2007
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,959
Location: International House of Paincakes...

26 Oct 2013, 11:54 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXXRpsjCdxs[/youtube]


Okay, there's not really much substance here until the very end when Mr. Shapiro declares bipartisanship dead and advocates the exact tactics that earned the GOP their lowest approval ratings in the history of EVER during the recent government shutdown.

So......



I guess you're using the term genius ironically?

:P


PS

Also, does anyone else think Hannity looks like the cartoon cat version of Lou Costello?


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSmgnnkl9VU[/youtube]


_________________
No man is free who is not master of himself.~Epictetus


adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,891

26 Oct 2013, 12:07 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
I'm not a fan of foul language, especially the more crass terms like the F-bomb and such. It makes people sound unintelligent, and all too often, those who cuss a lot are using it solely to demean and berate people on a personal level. Calling names rarely takes any discussion very far.


[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_osQvkeNRM[/youtube]



GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Sep 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,139

26 Oct 2013, 1:38 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
In this presentation, he explains the main reason he believes the Republican Party failed to defeat Barack Obama in the 2012 Presidential election.

Here is my claim: Bronco Bama defeated Slick Willard because the Republicans have lost the young vote (largely due to homophobia and anti-science), the female vote (largely due to issues over abortion) and the non-white vote (for a multitude of reasons).

There. Does that make me a political genius?

Anyway, The views of Ben Shapiro on a lot of issues, like

Abortion:
http://townhall.com/columnists/benshapi ... /page/full

Gay marriage:
http://www.creators.com/opinion/ben-sha ... riage.html

Freedom of religion:
http://townhall.com/columnists/benshapi ... /page/full

... are simply copy-paste positions of views made by other social conservatives for decades. So why is he special? :shrug:


_________________
Our comforting conviction that the world makes sense rests on a secure foundation: our almost unlimited ability to ignore our ignorance.

- Daniel Kahneman


Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 977
Location: Texas

26 Oct 2013, 1:59 pm

thomas81 wrote:
I don't understand your point. Most of America's adventures abroad are unilateralist and happening in spite of UN opinion. Particularly the 2003 invasion of Iraq. As far as I recall there was no UN sanction for that incursion in any shape or form. The UN's weapons inspectors found no evidence of WMD's and could give no reason for an invasion. Your argument is invalid.
My main argument is that the United States government should not be allying with people who control nations determined to destroy us. We need to get our national sovereignty back, and fight to defend it.


_________________
God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.


Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Sep 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 977
Location: Texas

26 Oct 2013, 2:07 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Moviefan2k4 wrote:
In this presentation, he explains the main reason he believes the Republican Party failed to defeat Barack Obama in the 2012 Presidential election.

Here is my claim: Bronco Bama defeated Slick Willard because the Republicans have lost the young vote (largely due to homophobia and anti-science), the female vote (largely due to issues over abortion) and the non-white vote (for a multitude of reasons).

There. Does that make me a political genius?
No, but you're behaving like a habitual generalizer. Obama's support among the black community actually dropped a lot between the 2008 and 2012 elections, and I suspect its because they realized what the rest of us already knew: just because someone shares your skin color, it doesn't make them good for a job.

Quote:
The views of Ben Shapiro on a lot of issues...are simply copy-paste positions of views made by other social conservatives for decades. So why is he special? :shrug:
I like him because he has the courage to "walk against the wind" in a political sphere currently controlled by people who demand that no activity ever be deemed more correct or appropriate than any other. Ironically, they believe their stance is more correct, so the core of their philosophy is self-defeating.


_________________
God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.