Books - helpful hints for the parent who has Aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Gnuzie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2013, 1:09 pm

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have a recommendation on books that have hints for the parent who has Aspergers? How their time together can be less stressful and enjoyable (especially if one of the children has AS and has tons of energy :D )?

Just looking for an "easy read" without too much technical jargon. Something with a list of hints and guidelines that can be referred back to when needed. We just need some info on how to help the Aspergers individual understand kids better... how to support them ... etc.

Thanks!
Gnu

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

Gnuzie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2013, 2:46 pm

Thank you so much!

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 3:51 pm

Tony Attwood: "Asperger´s Syndrome - A Guide for Parents and Professionals". Some of it is somewhat theoretical, of course, with models and checklists, but most of it is very pragmatic and "here and now" orientated.
Super book for both parents and for people who are diagnosed as adults.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 4:13 pm

How To Teach Life Skills to Kids With Autism or Asperger's, by Jennifer McIlwe Myers. It's not really about how to connect for ASD parents or ASD kids. More about how to run your household to maximize learning and minimize stress (at the same time, sort of). Which will have the incidental effect of improving your relationship.

I do not take all of his advice (he's a little too "attachment" for me), but I like T. Berry Brazelton for general parenting books. I've heard a few other spectrumites say he worked out well for them. There is also a great one called "Kids: Day In and Day Out." It has nothing to do with autism-- it was written back in the 70s-- but it was written by parents, for parents and has more of the feel of a bull session than a finger-shaking do-as-I-say session.

1-2-3 Magic really cut down on the number of spankings I had to issue when my middle two were toddlers. It was humorous and straightforward-- things Aspie parents tend to like. It reminded me of my Dad's saying that kids and dogs have a lot in common-- and God knows my Dad was one ASD parent who was beloved by children. Pretty much all children. Particularly special-needs children.

Whatever you do, stay the hell away from glossy parenting magazines. Just my opinion, of course, but those things have caused me HUGE amounts of anxiety. I was much happier after I let my subscription to Parents expire. So was my kid (at that time I had only one; three kids later, I haven't resubscribed).

Gnuzie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Oct 2013, 3:38 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
Whatever you do, stay the hell away from glossy parenting magazines.

I couldn't agree more! Not a fan of mainstream advice on parenting...or anything else really. :)

THANKS EVERYONE for your input! I will be looking into the sources you have all recommended.