Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Xlexa
Raven
Raven

28 Oct 2013, 6:43 pm

Tomorrow, I ship out to basic training. Anyways, I am trying to rationalize this decision of mine, the MOS I really wanted was decline to me for not scoring high enough for the DLAB score (language score... freakin' 1 pt, no waivers offer). My enlistment contract is only 3 and half years instead of 5 years. I lost a 15k bonus, but I get a year of my life back (me rationalizing it). It's better that I join now than later though.

I plan on using that GI bill as soon as I can (3 free years of college), and that 1 yr turn into a productive year of college to get closer to my real career.

Do you think that losing that 15k bonus is "okay" in the big schemes of life, it's kind of nagging on my mind. Like, "Don't join, wait it out, take that DLAB score again and wait like a year".... but really it's waayy to late for that kind of bs. It truely is, so it's not an option lol. I can't do that, it would be embarassing, horrible, and truely ugly

I have all these thoughts running through my head (my bills; trying to get the payment systems set up while I am gone, cleaning up the past, making a whole new life for me), it's insane, but you know what.... this what must be what near-death feel like... TIME is SO important. When the 2 months of waiting came down, every minute, every second counts, I felt so rush at the end of the wait.

Well, I am heading off. Good luck everyone.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 9:33 pm

Good luck to you!

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 9:03 am

Xlexa wrote:
Tomorrow, I ship out to basic training. Anyways, I am trying to rationalize this decision of mine, the MOS I really wanted was decline to me for not scoring high enough for the DLAB score (language score... freakin' 1 pt, no waivers offer). My enlistment contract is only 3 and half years instead of 5 years. I lost a 15k bonus, but I get a year of my life back (me rationalizing it). It's better that I join now than later though.

I plan on using that GI bill as soon as I can (3 free years of college), and that 1 yr turn into a productive year of college to get closer to my real career.

Do you think that losing that 15k bonus is "okay" in the big schemes of life, it's kind of nagging on my mind. Like, "Don't join, wait it out, take that DLAB score again and wait like a year".... but really it's waayy to late for that kind of bs. It truely is, so it's not an option lol. I can't do that, it would be embarassing, horrible, and truely ugly

I have all these thoughts running through my head (my bills; trying to get the payment systems set up while I am gone, cleaning up the past, making a whole new life for me), it's insane, but you know what.... this what must be what near-death feel like... TIME is SO important. When the 2 months of waiting came down, every minute, every second counts, I felt so rush at the end of the wait.

Well, I am heading off. Good luck everyone.
Well, to me it's always good to not have that bonus, in the event you don't complete Basic or your MOS training. It's because if you spend it before you're finished these, they make you pay it back. I've heard a few horror stories about it, but that is just my experience.