Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Saradraws
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Nov 2013, 4:32 pm

Cracked is an online magazine that used to be a print mag, competing with Mad Magazine. Most of the articles are funny and informative, but today's article by Felix Clay takes a nasty shot at an autistic child and implies that autistic people automatically have no personalities.

The article is a two-page one, and the offensive comment is on the second page.

Since I apparently can't post a link (damnit!! !!) I'll have to do this another way... cracked dot com forward slash blog forward slash the-6-most-horrifying-childs-beauty-pageant-contestants forward slash

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 4:50 pm

I'm not going to bother looking it up. Cracked intends to be offensive and usually succeeds.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2013, 4:53 pm

Yeah, better to not give them the satisfaction of more 'clicks' to their website.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2013, 8:23 am

You know, I used to HATE Cracked. MAD, too. Because they were offensive, and derisive, and sarcastic, and ironic, and all those things I wasn't good at. Reading one was a cover-to-cover assault on my intelligence.

Then I decided I wanted to keep up with my cousins socially (or at least, be able to run with them). Started laughing at their jokes and taunts and, since they loved it, asked Saint Alan for a subscription to MAD.

Well, I learned self-deprecating humor. Sarcasm. Irony. I stretched my brain and grew a thicker skin.

I don't want to live in a world where everything has to be polite and nice, for fear of poking someone's sore spot.

Besides that-- a lot of people have taken pot shots and poked at my tender places. I got better armor. The ones that have actually tried to harm me have, for the most part, used a pleasant, sympathetic demeanor and politically-correct language.

Yikes. Think about that.

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Nov 2013, 7:37 pm

lelia wrote:
Cracked intends to be offensive and usually succeeds.

Yep, and threads like this only motivate them to continue.

TheOneWhoKnocks
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Nov 2013, 1:11 am

I've been reading Cracked's articles for a long time and I think it's a hilarious comedy site, but there are multiple writers for the site and one a**hole of a writer shouldn't really spoil it as a whole.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 11:26 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
You know, I used to HATE Cracked. MAD, too. Because they were offensive, and derisive, and sarcastic, and ironic, and all those things I wasn't good at. Reading one was a cover-to-cover assault on my intelligence.

Then I decided I wanted to keep up with my cousins socially (or at least, be able to run with them). Started laughing at their jokes and taunts and, since they loved it, asked Saint Alan for a subscription to MAD.

Well, I learned self-deprecating humor. Sarcasm. Irony. I stretched my brain and grew a thicker skin.

I don't want to live in a world where everything has to be polite and nice, for fear of poking someone's sore spot.

Besides that-- a lot of people have taken pot shots and poked at my tender places. I got better armor. The ones that have actually tried to harm me have, for the most part, used a pleasant, sympathetic demeanor and politically-correct language.

Yikes. Think about that.

I am not offended by them in the slightest. I look at it like this. Even though they may be using sarcasm and irony the question I ask is is their logic and rationale valid. This doesn't just go for cracked.com either. If one believes someone's reasoning is off then write something that shows them where their reasoning is off or ask them for further inquiry and make them prove their reasoning. Can they prove any of their claims that they make? This is my main question.

If they get angry with you and start cursing you out or making fun of you then they've lost the argument. This is a defense mechanism that shows they can't back their claims up.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2013, 4:27 pm

*sigh* Go back and reread the article, this time calmly. You will find that Felix was using sarcasm, to mock the position that the mother in question was taking (that her daughter couldn't possibly be given a prize for personality, because she has none).

It's not the funniest article on cracked by far though. The best are both educational and hilarious, and if you're reading David Wong, often quite useful information on why people are [redacted for profanity].

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Nov 2013, 1:45 pm

Cracked... I loved you all this time... Why, Cracked, Why? Why did you do this to us? After all the love. laughs and ruined childhoods, you do this? Why? What happened? [crying]

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2013, 1:50 pm

Offensive article on 'Cracked'. :roll:

In other news, liquid water is still wet ...

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 5:39 am

Cracked is satire. It's supposed to be offensive. If you are thin skinned, it's best not to read satirical pieces.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 10:39 pm

those magazines pick on everybody,why worry about it

alphaEmpathy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Dec 2013, 4:43 pm

It was more a criticism of the mom's view. She didn't believe her Autistic daughter deserved the prize. The author was probably trying to emulate that kind of mindset.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 12:04 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:

Yikes. Think about that.
I used to hate them when they turned into a crappy 'lad mag' for a while before they went online. When they turned into a 'lad mag' they dropped the annual fall 'Monster Party' stuff and the movie parodies I adored, and started featuring all of these stupid and unfunny 'joke' pieces starring this loser guy with the two antenna-like hair things on his head. I'm glad they dropped the lad mag thing, that new stuff they tried to put into it wasn't funny or clever and was just irritating and crude. Now that they dropped the 'lad mag' thing and went back to being close to how they used to be, they're awesome again (although I do miss the annual Monster Party stuff.)

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 2:51 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:

I fully agree. That is especially true because I often poke someone's sore spot without realizing what I said that was wrong.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 2:54 pm

I always thought MAD was much better than Cracked. MAD was usually funny while Cracked was just stupid.