Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

PainfullyShy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2013, 11:33 am

LogicalMolly wrote:
To find your cervix all you would need to do is poke a finger up your vagina until you feel a blob blocking your path. The blob will have a tiny hollow in the centre of it that you can feel. That tiny hollow is the hole though which period blood leaks, and the hole that opens up when it's time to have a baby.

The cervix is basically the barrier that marks the end of your vagina. It might be useful to get used to touching your cervix, as that will make it feel less nerve-wracking when you have the medical exam. When I had my first (and last) smear, I was still a virgin and had never touched my cervix, either. Hence, it felt really weird and frightening for something to be up inside there. Nowadays I am as clued up about my body as I used to be clueless. Unless you have a very long vagina you should be able to touch your cervix with your finger during most times of the month. It tends to rise up at certain times of one's cycle, making it harder to reach. If you can't reach it, just bear down (i.e. push downwards with your vaginal muscles). Touching it gently with your finger should not hurt at all. I find it quite interesting. I mean in a curious way, not a sexual way. Touching my cervix doesn't turn me on but I'm very interested in biology and once I realised it was up there within easy reach and touching it was pain-free and not dangerous, I started touching it every now and then to monitor how it goes up and down at different times.

Oh I know what it is, I've seen pictures and illustrations, I've just never said "hello" to my own, lol. I believe one of those links in the article you posted had actual pictures that someone took of her own cervix. She did this every day for an entire month to show the differences in position, discharge, and so on. It was rather interesting actually, I had no idea it -moved- all that time! That explains why one doctor told me she was having trouble locating it during the bi-manual part. She kept going higher up insisting she couldn't find it, which had me dumbfounded at the time because she was, after all, the doctor at the end of that table. Now I get why, it was playing hide and seek, lol :wink: I have a question regarding touching it: does that hurt at all? I wouldn't think so, it just might feel funny is my impression.

In my other post, I mentioned to the person I was talking to that I should really get to know my body because I am still somewhat unacquainted, especially internally. I mean, I would know how to spot a problem with my breasts or down there as far as externally goes, but the last time I actually ventured in out of sheer curiosity was quite a long time ago and it weirded me out, lol. I know, I shouldn't be so nervous when it comes to just me examining myself because knowing my body is one of the most valuable and important things I can do.

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 5:00 pm

Only recently has the doctor upgraded from freezing cold metal tongs to plastic.Thank heavens! LOL
It's never been uncomfortable to me.I always try not to laugh,not sure why though.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 5:12 pm

Mackica wrote:
Only recently has the doctor upgraded from freezing cold metal tongs to plastic.

At some places they have the metal speculums wrapped in a heating pad set on low. My surgeon has them like that when I go there. The radiation place didn't have them like that.

PainfullyShy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2013, 6:19 pm

Mackica wrote:
Only recently has the doctor upgraded from freezing cold metal tongs to plastic.Thank heavens! LOL
It's never been uncomfortable to me.I always try not to laugh,not sure why though.

I think I've seen plastic at every office I've been to, never before have I set sights on a metal one before...i think that would be even scarier, lol. My experiences have been uncomfortable for various reasons, but I know it must be the size of the thing. Does anyone know if the 'virgin' ones are a recent contraption, or have they been around for a while now?

The reason I ask is because the only size I've ever seen inside of the offices I've been at over the part 3 attempts is "small". None of them have been able to go in very far. Whether they were child sized or not I can't say, but I have told every, single doctor/gyn that I am not active before they've tried. I'm half-tempted to say no this time around, which is why I want to speak with my physician about this as soon as I am able to see her. I have a lot on my mind that I feel she should be made aware of in regards to this.

Last edited by PainfullyShy on 13 Nov 2013, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PainfullyShy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2013, 6:21 pm

hanyo wrote:
Mackica wrote:
Only recently has the doctor upgraded from freezing cold metal tongs to plastic.

At some places they have the metal speculums wrapped in a heating pad set on low. My surgeon has them like that when I go there. The radiation place didn't have them like that.

I have heard of the ones wrapped in heating pads, but have never seen one. I'm actually rather surprised some places haven't switched to the plastic yet...seems like it would be more sterile to me, which would make it a lot safer. Also, it can heat up fairly well I would imagine if its plastic.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 5:19 am

I've had several pap smears. They're quite unpleasant (pain from the 'scraping' of the q tip on the cervix) but bearable for me, as it hurts down there anyway. I feel like a cat at the vet, but refrain from scratching and biting my doc. :P

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2013, 5:43 am

I have to get one soon and I dread it so much.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 5:29 am

hanyo wrote:
I have to get one soon and I dread it so much.

I had it the beginning of this month and didn't even bleed. That was my first one where I didn't bleed in a long time.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2013, 7:54 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NsPVSvr5WY[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

limping2victory
Raven
Raven

03 Jan 2014, 9:50 am

I was extremely uncomfortable every time I went to the gynecologist. I think it was made worse by the fact that I was a virgin, because it meant the exam and pap smear was more painful but also because some person is examining me where no man or woman has gone before. Not only is it painful but it's mortifying. Fortunately I did find a doctor that was very gentle and understanding which helped a little.

When I was in the office I would constantly be telling myself to keep calm, try to relax, it won't take long, it needs to be done.

Mammograms are not fun, I sometimes end up with bruised boobs, but at least it's not as invasive as a pap smear or as painful as a dental work.

When I lost my virginity, it helped that I didn't have doubts. And once I lost my virginity going to the gynecologist wasn't as upsetting because the embarassment factor had lessened.

sammie96
Raven
Raven

03 Jan 2014, 12:01 pm

I'm supposedly due for one. I'm not going to have it done. Mammogram, too. Nope.