Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

07 Nov 2013, 12:54 pm

Self-explanatory.
----
Sometimes, I have this tendency to speak ratherfastlikethissonobodycanunderstandwhatIamsaying.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 1:05 pm

I do sometimes speak fast when nervous. I'm usually nervous of those types of people who are likely to interrupt or talk over you, so I speak fast to them because I want to throw all my words out in one big blurt.

Otherwise, I have found I speak a lot like Mike Teavee on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory :) . I kind of mumble and sometimes merge two or three words together. I'm also a cockney, so I don't speak posh either. I always forget to sound of T's when saying words like ''water''.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 1:36 pm

I speak too fast too and I have to make very conscious efforts to slow down especially when leaving a phone message. I also have trouble speaking loud enough and enunciating. I have always been that way.

Wreck It Ralph

Salkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Nov 2013, 1:58 pm

I talk too fast at times, which can make it difficult for people to understand me, but I think it's also that I can be kind of mumbly. It doesn't help that I think I have even more trouble giving off turn-taking cues than I do with reading them (which is still not that well).

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 2:21 pm

If you get me talking about a special interest I will machine gun you with words so fast and hard that they will drive you into a corner where I will continue to assault your ears until you beg for mercy. :P

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 3:10 pm

Not fast at all!

I talk slower than average, and I've felt horribly self conscious about it all my life, ever since about the age of five when another girl my age at school, whom I was talking to in the playground, suddenly said to me with a big smile on her face: "You talk sooooooo sllooooooowwwwwllllyy! Why do you talk so slow??! !" and laughed at me. I've never forgotten it!

I TRY to talk faster; I've even recorded myself doing so, because inside my own head it felt so fast as to be ridiculous -- to my surprise, when I listened back, it sounded "normal" rather than "too fast." So something in my head seems to hear myself as speaking just right when actually I'm sounding reaaaaallllly slow to other people, and when I speak what I feel is too fast, it's actually about right.

Something's distorted in my perception of my own speech. And I hate being a slow talker because I know people tend to infer I'm stupid; I'm actually above average intelligence, but when I open my mouth everyone's in doubt. :oops:

I WISH I were a fast talker!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 3:25 pm

It depends on what mood I am in at any given moment.

InnaLucia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2013, 3:28 pm

I speak fast when I'm anxious or excited.

RandyG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2013, 3:40 pm

Well into my twenties Italkedwaytoofast. Inlittleblurtslikethis. It was worse if I was anxious or tired, and I would get quite out of breath. I think I've gradually improved over the course of decades.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 3:56 pm

i speak very slow too. i do have speech difficulty, and cant always say some words and so have to say them again to continue. then i sometimes say things what dont make sense, but not often. i say something like 'what is him doing?' instead of 'what is he doing?'
i have also had a kid say to me 'you talk funny', and this was not many months ago.

talking slow has never been an issue for me, but it is an issue for other people. they always ask why i speak so slow if i have autism, as though people think that im supposed to be a mathematical and scientific genius who speaks exceptionlly fast in text book monologues about really complicated stuff. sorry, but im literally the complete opposite from that.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 4:08 pm

Caz72 wrote:
i speak very slow too. i do have speech difficulty, and cant always say some words and so have to say them again to continue. then i sometimes say things what dont make sense, but not often. i say something like 'what is him doing?' instead of 'what is he doing?'
i have also had a kid say to me 'you talk funny', and this was not many months ago.

talking slow has never been an issue for me, but it is an issue for other people. they always ask why i speak so slow if i have autism, as though people think that im supposed to be a mathematical and scientific genius who speaks exceptionlly fast in text book monologues about really complicated stuff. sorry, but im literally the complete opposite from that.

I'm sorry that kid said that to you Caz72 - it's never fun to have things like that pointed out to you! :?

I notice some here are saying they talk fast when excited -- I think my equivalent of that is just to say an awful lot too, yet at this slow speed that seems to agonize the listener.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 4:15 pm

Someone once asked how on earth I managed to say as much as I said without stopping to breathe.

I babble...

Daydreamer86
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Nov 2013, 5:17 pm

I speak very fast when I am excited or very opinionated about something. It's not a big issue though-my main issue with my voice is my lack of volume control-I always get told that I am very loud and my dad always jokes that I was born with no volume control. My colleagues usually make some sort of joke about holding their ears when I am speaking on the phone and they are in the same room.

My blog on life with Aspergers.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 5:55 pm

I speak rather slowly.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 6:58 pm

I speak at a moderate pace, but I speak faster when I am excited or stressed out.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2013, 7:20 pm

moderately slowly