do you look different than your peers

Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 1:29 am

rapidroy wrote:
I heard we often have larger heads then most, also along time ago I once head something to the effect that we often have a certian curviture to the tips of some of our fingers. Nothing out of propertion though.

My head is bigger than average, but that runs on my mom's side of the family. The ASD comes from my dad's side of the family. I've never paid attention to my fingertips and I don't think anyone else does. No one seems to notice my big head until I put on a hat or helmet that is too small for me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 10:13 am

The most strangest things seem to be apparently ''related'' to AS. I don't pay attention to my finger tips either, they look no differently to anyone else's, they're just fingers, why would having a slightly different brain wiring have an affect on how my fingers developed that's any different to a person without this slightly different brain wiring?

My head isn't bigger than average either. I always gathered there is no ''average'' head size, your head size depends on your body structure. My head looks quite big because I've got thick hair, but when I put a hat on or sunglasses on, they are always too big, whilst the same hat or sunglasses fit another person just fine, or are too small even. I've seen that happen a few times with people.
Also I didn't have a big head as a baby. My mum even said to me that when I was a newborn baby in hospital, somebody guessed I was a baby girl because I had a small head, and I wasn't wrapped in a pink towel, I was wrapped in a white one. But I don't know if that proves baby boys have bigger heads than baby girls. I'm no scientist.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 11:31 am

rapidroy wrote:
I heard we often have larger heads then most, also along time ago I once head something to the effect that we often have a certian curviture to the tips of some of our fingers. Nothing out of propertion though.
I have a big head for a girl. Thankfully it's in proportion too though. :D My index and middle fingertips curve slightly outward towards the little finger side of my hands while the rest of my fingertips are straight.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 11:55 am

Here is an interesting article about fingers and Autism and other things related to fingers.
http://www.viewzone.com/fingers.html

Wreck It Ralph

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:10 pm

I don't think there is anything inherently different in my looks in comparison to my peers.

I don't wear make up which as far as I know most girls do. I am not into my hair in terms of checking it a lot or doing anything with it, I don't check myself in mirrors which a lot of people also seem to do. I love shoes though, I like boots, gothic boots in particular ones that got to the knee, they look really brilliant.

I also would wear Victorian clothes if I could, but I don't like to draw attention to myself.

404nf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2013, 12:05 am

Just got told today that I look like a 6th grade school boy, even though I'm in high school.

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 12:27 am

<<<<<<< (pointing at avatar photo, fyi) What do you think about me?

I don't think there is a ASD look at all. From the dozen or so I've met in person and dozens more I've seen on TV.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 12:37 am

skibum wrote:
rapidroy wrote:
I have a big head for a girl. Thankfully it's in proportion too though. :D My index and middle fingertips curve slightly outward towards the little finger side of my hands while the rest of my fingertips are straight.

Thats how my fingers are aswell and I beleave that was one of the abnormalites. I am not claiming it to be autism related, I just remember along time back when mom ran over to me wanting to see if my fingers fit the profile that was suppost to be related to autism. Thanks for the link. My head is big enough that I gave up on form fitted or "one size fits all" hats along time ago, its just not happening. I would think the larger heads is to fit the 10-15%larger brains we are suppost to have according to meny, requireing larger skulls to house them.

Either way no one will be able to judge us based on any of these things, as long as I an not forced to wear a form fitted hat that is. Meny NTs have the meny subtle physical differences that may or may not be apart of an autistic person.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 2:14 am

I've always had dark circles under my eyes.
I have a picture from when I was 3 or 4, and you can see them.

Retinol seems to work to help alleviate them.

I've been told that's it lack of sleep and/or allergies that cause it, but they never really go away no matter how well rested or doped up on antihistamines I might be, so I'm not really sure.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 5:11 am

MadeUnderground wrote:

I don't think there is a ASD look at all. From the dozen or so I've met in person and dozens more I've seen on TV.

Same here. I haven't met many people with ASDs in my life, but the ones I have met or seen (including on the TV) don't physically look different. The only way I was diagnosed was by being assessed of my behaviour and learning development, not by how I physically looked.

And if I didn't know you was on the spectrum, I wouldn't have guessed that you had it at all. The only time a person's ASD can be given away is when I see one flapping their arms or something. Even then it could be something else, but I would guess that they might have an ASD.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 8:49 am

Joe90 wrote:
MadeUnderground wrote:

Same here. I haven't met many people with ASDs in my life, but the ones I have met or seen (including on the TV) don't physically look different. The only way I was diagnosed was by being assessed of my behaviour and learning development, not by how I physically looked.

And if I didn't know you was on the spectrum, I wouldn't have guessed that you had it at all. The only time a person's ASD can be given away is when I see one flapping their arms or something. Even then it could be something else, but I would guess that they might have an ASD.

what about the gait to their step when they walk? (if they have that trait) or the prosody of their voice? there are other observable physical signs than just, "racoon eyes."

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2013, 9:16 am

I don't really know if I have any physical differences, but some people seem to quickly pick up some differences in me and decide to keep away from me. I don't know whether those differences they pick up are physical or more behavioural. I believe it's the weird way I move, behave and talk. I wish someone could tell me what it is but no one is close enough to tell me such things honestly. If they do say anything, it's always behind my back.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2013, 10:34 am

I am often told I look a little younger (I am 16 but I look like a 13-14 yo) but I think it's just that I don't wear make up and I don't dress "sexy". I think that if I wore make up in dressed in a more "feminine" way I'd look older.

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

12 Nov 2013, 10:41 am

Most people think I look younger than I am, late 20s rather than late 30s. I suspect this may be because I don't crinkle up my face as much as most people, so don't have many lines yet.

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

12 Nov 2013, 10:43 am

jk1 wrote:
I don't really know if I have any physical differences, but some people seem to quickly pick up some differences in me and decide to keep away from me. I don't know whether those differences they pick up are physical or more behavioural. I believe it's the weird way I move, behave and talk. I wish someone could tell me what it is but no one is close enough to tell me such things honestly. If they do say anything, it's always behind my back.

Why don't you post a picture of yourself and we'll tell you if it's physical.

TheCrookedFingers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2013, 10:48 am

I do look different, but that's probably mainly because I have blue hair.

Other than that, I have raccoon eyes, disproportionately long legs, unhealthy looking pale skin with a lot of moles and my fingers are weird, but I don't think that has to do with anything.