Aspergers in Girls: how accurate is this to you?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 3:00 am

WARNING: long video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgsJ6uSgMo

Its not an OFFICIAL list.

On a Scale from 1 to 10, 10 being super accurate and 0 being not at all, how accurate is this to you

for me, its a 9 or 8.5.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 7:27 am

I feel that very little of this applies only to females.

Very accurate although I'm not up to assigning a numeric value.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 11:02 am

I remember coming across this a while ago, and I find that maybe 9/10 it's accurate to me, yes.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 3:36 pm

I'd say most of this applies to me (95%+). Section B probably applied to me as a child/teenager, but not as an adult. I'm definitely not naive. I'm actually one of the more savvy people around, even if others might think I seem otherwise. However, I don't have a diagnosis, but that may change in the near future, as I've made significant steps in that dept.

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2013, 3:55 pm

easily 98%

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 4:04 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
WARNING: long video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgsJ6uSgMo

Its not an OFFICIAL list.

On a Scale from 1 to 10, 10 being super accurate and 0 being not at all, how accurate is this to you

for me, its a 9 or 8.5.

I didn't go very far in it, but the questions seem (1) too subjective, (2) programmed to get yes's. Who is really going to say for instance, Yeah I totally get retaliation, I'm a vindictive b****.

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2013, 5:33 pm

Wow, that's one long list, isn't it? Some of it is way too specific, like they're talking about one person specifically. But there is a lot of stuff there that I can relate to, especially the part about words and patterns.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 5:55 pm

Like... 85%, maybe?

The trouble is that these are very general traits. I think, if you gave the list to the average NT of any gender, you would still get at least two-thirds agreement, and the only ones that Aspie girls would agree with more are ones specifically related to social skills problems, sensory and executive dysfunction, and general effects of living with a disability.

The writer of the list seems to have been going for sheer number of traits over usefulness for describing the experiences of female adult autistics. Traits like, "Takes criticism to heart," or, "Adapts self in order to avoid ridicule," are extremely common.

It's an interesting list, but not really a useful one.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 6:18 pm

I thought it was a bit like reading astrology or Chinese zodiac charts. Most of it was general personality traits that a lot of people could relate to and not specifically something that would indicate a diagnosable disorder.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Nov 2013, 6:53 pm

If this is similar to a blog I saw linked recently, many of these traits are very similar to those listed by Rudy Simone. In both cases, as Callista said.

zaneaspie
Raven
Raven

10 Nov 2013, 7:33 pm

Yup, that's me.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 10:24 pm

This was pretty accurate for me. I answered no to a few questions, just a handful and I answered some to another handful but for the most part this was very accurate for me. In fact it was accurate enough that I will use these questions to help my psychiatrist who is putting together an unofficial diagnosis for me.

Wreck It Ralph

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2013, 4:39 am

I was way too impatient to sit through it. I think I would rather use a different format for this than a movie.

I'll maybe try later.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 4:41 am

stabilator wrote:
I was way too impatient to sit through it. I think I would rather use a different format for this than a movie.

I'll maybe try later.
I turned the sound off and read it, using the bar at the bottom, to drag a few second along, to the next slide. I got through it quite quickly that way.

sen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Nov 2013, 12:41 pm

stabilator wrote:

I'll maybe try later.

there was a link in the description where you could read it instead

http://aspergersgirls.wordpress.com/201 ... checklist/

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:45 pm

Very me.