Do You Think Aspies Would Make Better Criminals?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 11:28 pm

No I don't plan on robbing the Brinks Truck. I was just thinking about how dumb some criminals are, and how some are never caught. The ones that get away have to be doing something different. What do you think (I am not saying aspergers=criminality). But I do think keeping your mouth shut and careful planning would benefit them. Any thoughts?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Nov 2013, 11:54 pm

I think Aspies may be better at planning crimes in general but I think we would be worse criminals because there's alot more to committing crimes & getting away than careful planning. For example being able to handle pressure well, ability to make a quick decision if something doesn't go exactly as planed, not being overwhelmed or distracted by sensory things like an alarm suddenly going off, having good coordination & motor skills, & good social skills like appearing to blend in & not seeming suspicious before starting the crime & after leaving the scene if cops are around or ask questions.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:26 am

I agree with everything Nick said. Cyber crimes would be a better avenue for aspies I think, also alot of are too honest for our own good.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:56 am

I think it would depend on the amount of planning allowed, and how much the crimes involved unpredictable situations.

For situations that strictly or almost completely involved planning, yes.

If there is unpredictability, no, probably the complete opposite.

Last edited by matt on 11 Nov 2013, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Nov 2013, 12:56 am

rapidroy wrote:
I agree with everything Nick said.
I don't want to derail this thread more than this post but I don't think I ever heard that quote before. Sure some agree with me on certain things but not everything I said. I called my mom earlier & she nagged me about a couple things; maybe I should make a post about it sometime in the Haven or Members. Your quote made me feel better, Thanx rapidroy :)
We can get back to topic now

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 5:32 am

Folks with ADHD can be lured into a life of crime. They have bravado, and are thrill seekers. For the same reasons they are drawn to being cops.

Aspies are more likely to be victims than perps of crimes.

But aspies would make good counterfieters, or good cyber criminals.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 6:11 am

I know I wouldn't. I am far too anxious and afraid of getting caught. I would jump through the ceiling every time the door bell rang afterwards, terrified of having been caught.

And like nick007 said, there's also being clumsy and not having the physical skills to accomplish it.
If deception is part of it, you need to be smooth and charismatic.

For me personally, the only thing in my favor would be my ability to keep my mouth shut.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:07 pm

It's such a broad category that it's hard to make generalizations.

Your "coworkers" will likely be pretty accepting of weirdos. You can stim all you want, they'll just think you're a tweaker. :lol:

Networking is required for most serious crimes.

Careful planning can be useful, but you'll have to be able to posture yourself into a dominant position in order to have control over the plan, unless you're working alone. You'll probably be working with reckless dullards, so you'll have to be able to handle their mistakes and disobedience. It's also easy to get caught up in the stupidity of others. It can be difficult to stick to the boring smart way without great self-discipline, as the reckless stupid way can be so much more fun. You're also probably not going to be able to plan every detail, you'll have to figure out what to do "on the spot".

You need to be able to judge people well and have enough ToM to figure out their motives. Is this person going to screw you over? Is he a cop? Are your "colleagues" going to "flip" when they get caught?

You need to be able to lie. Well.

You can't have meltdowns at work. :P

I'm sure we could make great chemists. There are plenty of science, technology, and other "white-collar" positions in organized crime that we could be good at. Or just white-collar crime in legitimate businesses. Or petty crimes that anyone can get away with, like pickpocketing and opportunistic theft. I think you need to specify what exactly you mean by "criminals".

MadeUnderground
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 12:45 pm

I almost sh*** bricks every time someone just rings or knocks on the door, but then again I've been really on edge and paranoid for the last two weeks because of issues at my unconventional job. :?

I keep wanting to post about it but I'm afraid that someone I know will see it sooo..

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 1:53 pm

im so frustrated i might get into crime
cant guarantee to be a gud brainy criminal though
would be a frustrated kind

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 4:32 pm

Can you imagine the amount of times I've thought about robbing a bank? Oy! That's not the problem. It's the getting away that's the issue. I was actually there in North Hollywood when those guys robbed the bank and it was met with extreme force by the LAPD. I'd hate to have been caught in the middle of that, but that's the risk you take when robbing a bank.

Zilphy
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2013, 5:27 pm

Only for certain crimes. I could only commit a white collar crime. If I had to interact with people I would give myself away. I would probably still feel guilty. I could never violently injure an innocent person. Aspies make better victims than criminals.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

14 Nov 2013, 3:11 am

More like victims more than criminals! But that's just me.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 3:03 am

Depends on the particular aspie. I'd be damned good at it. ;-)

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Nov 2013, 3:54 am

No. As others have said, Asperger's Syndrome as with many other mental, emotional and social disorders is more likely to make one a victim of crime rather than a perpetrator. What's more the symptoms of Asperger's make us quite unsuited for most criminal activities. There's often little room for fixed routine in some crimes, aspies are sensitive to various stimuli, sometimes have underdeveloped motor skills, lack some of the social skills of our Neurotypical counterparts and are less skillful at pulling off dishonest behaviours like lying. The only exceptions I can mark is if a crime was highly correlated with a special interest or the crime itself was elaborately planned beforehand; only then could I see aspies having the upper hand.

woodster
Toucan
Toucan

16 Nov 2013, 12:08 pm

I think we could find some niches within criminal activity.

Like safe breakers or something. There have got to be plenty of geeky little areas we could fit in.

It helps that as a criminal u would be self employed. Don't forget the level of unemployment among aspies, it could even be one of the few options for some people.

I know a drug addict and a drug dealer that are both aspies. Neither especially high functioning, I doubt either has an iq over 100.