Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 12:51 am

superlocrian wrote:
I always thought I made good contact until I decided to conduct an impromptu science experiment. Typing in "face/protrait/insert name of celebrity here" I perused the images and discovered that my gaze gravitates automatically towards the bridge of the nose which encompasses the eyes but I never look directly into peoples' eyes. I find this to be rather uncomfortable in fact and find myself being "sucked in " - this isnt conducive for most conversations.
Ive heard most ASD individuals focus on the mouth I used to be utterly abominable at even looking into the face of people I talk to. Do people actually notice if you dont stare them squarely in the eye or can they trell that we're "faking it">

I don't use much eye contact...if I try to focus on eye contact I cannot focus on what the person is saying, weird because supposedly you look at people when taking info from them. but I still have difficulties with that. Have had cops ask me what my issue is but I don't want to tell them due to fear of unlawful abuse and such. But yeah with me if I am looking away its more likely I am paying attention than if I look at you...if I look at someone chances are I am more focused on their mood than what they say....it is very annoying sometimes.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 20 Apr 2014, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 12:52 am

CharityFunDay wrote:
I think it's perhaps a characteristically Aspie form of paranoia to imagine that we go around giving off a distinctive and all-pervasive miasma of 'Otherness'. And most NT people simply aren't that observant anyway.

^this is i think the greatest contributing factor to my social anxiety, in a nutshell.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2014, 3:17 pm

Whether a person is able to fake it or not all depends on the person. Different people with ASD present in different ways, and some people on the spectrum tend to "stand out" more than others, for various reasons.

I will tell you this though...as someone who has met/worked with tons of people with ASDs, most of them can't fake it, even when they think they can. A small minority are able to though, and these are people with mild/borderline presentations of it. As for faking it, I don't recommend it if you have tried and are not able to as it may lead to burnout and exhaustion - none of which you want. There are ways to fit into the larger society without giving up who you are (i.e. surrounding yourself with ASD friends and learning/practicing self-advocacy around NTs).

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.