why I started playing RPG's agian...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 3:26 pm

I've been playing RPG's a lot lately. Although in the past I had issues with certain ones... namely Pokémon and whatever that other one was called.
Those games put me off of this genre. mainly because I beat the Pokémon games several times, and never really enjoyed my victory enough. and that one which I don't remember the name, had a couple of bosses that gave me a hard time, such as the leviathan and some kind of demon master. part of it was I didn't like the touch pad on the Nintendo DS. which unfortunately for me the ps4 uses a touchpad now... so guess that won't work out too well in my case. anyway, I think it had a lot to do with the Nintendo DS being a difficult contraption hell bent on ticking me off... Anyway, I know the ps3 era is just about over, so I took a chance and bought some RPG games recently, 2 disc from game fly, and one digital from PSstore. If you don't count the ps1 and ps2 classics I bought awhile back, such as legend of Dragoon which I couldn't get into so well, and Persona 3 which I enjoyed but never got very far due to forgetting I even had it on there. I'll got back to beat that one someday... maybe.
So, a while back I bought Mugen Souls, I found it way too easy, except for Airship battles that is, but I figured if it was easy, it'd be a good place to start. Since then I bought The alchemist of Dusk, which I haven't played much, mainly due to buying GTA 5 shortly after. I am renting a game from gamefly, had it for a couple weeks and forgot to play it, so I may send it back soon since I keep forgetting to play it.
I got back into the RPG genre. and by that I mean between that a certain fighting game which I just bought, that's all I really want to play anymore. this pretty much means I have for once, a small backlog of games to beat, which I hope to catch up on by the end of this year. I expect to have got pretty far into at least one RPG by the end of December.
this is my plan for December,
beat the Airship battle Against Hell's Watchdog. which I always seem to make the smallest mistake every time...
make at least a small amount of progress in The Alchemist of Dusk.
get as close to halfway through the story as I can in one more game.
waste a lot of time just running around looking for items in all these games...
that's about it. So, any thoughts? anyone else ever been put off a gaming genre for awhile, then came back to it?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 4:13 pm

The locked-in linear nature of video games is why I stick to "table-top" RPGs - it's easier to "go off the map" and still enjoy an adventure, especially if the other players are also involved just to have fun.

Besides, you can't reason with a video console.

newageretrohippie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 9:44 pm

I've never gotten bored of a genre & returned to it, but it did take a long time for me to get into FPS games & GTA style games. Now I'm a huge Saints Row fan, I play GTA ( Vice City is still the best IMO ) and Doom and other violent M rated games I never would have looked at 10 years ago.

As for RPGs: I got into the genre back in middle school ( SNES era baby! ) with EarthBound, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger. It still remains my favorite genre of video game, especially the JRPG. I'm also a Pokemon Master since the original Red & Blue ( and am about to get the final badge in X ) and a huge fan of Disgaea and Fire Emblem ( for the SRPG subset ). You should check out the Tales series ( PS3 has Tales of Graces F, Tales of Xillia & will have Tales of Xillia 2 & Tales of Symphonia HD next year )

Funny you mention Mugen Souls, though. I got it from Gamefly and sent it back rather quickly. I just couldn't get into it.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2013, 10:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
The locked-in linear nature of video games is why I stick to "table-top" RPGs - it's easier to "go off the map" and still enjoy an adventure, especially if the other players are also involved just to have fun.

Besides, you can't reason with a video console.

Many RPGs these days though arent linear at all. Stuff like Skyrim for instance. Dont wanna follow the basic story? Then dont! Just explore and do whatever you happen to feel like doing. That sort of design is getting more and more popular, though all of the best examples are *not* found on consoles. PC only in those cases. Skyrim is at best an OK example.

As linear RPGs go..... that generally seems to mostly be JRPGs. Stuff like Final Fantasy. Or even Pokemon. Square's stuff in particular, lately, has been notorious for being EXTREMELY linear. Heaven forbid the player have to actually explore a bit. I dont do JRPGs these days myself. Bloody boring genre with deranged storylines.

That being said, I wouldnt mind trying some tabletop stuffs myself at some point.... but it'd likely end in stupidity. Either my friends and I would end up all yelling at each other, or I myself would start to get a bit impatient, which generally takes about 5 minutes to happen, and thus my solution to every situation becomes "set it on fire" or something like that. And I imagine it's hard for the party to get anywhere when everything is on fire.