Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Davidufo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2007, 10:44 am

Sir_Sefirot wrote:
paolo wrote:
Of course withouth nukes the world would be at war.

This is the first wise sentence I see in this thread :?

I think it's an oxymoronic sentence :lol:

Check these sites for more oxymorons...

Categorized list of oxymorons and explanations
http://www.topskills.com/oxymorons.htm

List of oxymorons
http://www.oxymoronica.com/oxymoralist.shtml

Oxymoronic verse
http://www.oxymoronica.com/oxyverse.shtml

More oxymorons
http://www.oxymorons.com/oxymorons.html

Even more oxymorons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oxymorons

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 11:52 am

Sir_Sefirot wrote:
paolo wrote:

It was meant to be ironical, if one can be ironical in these matters.

Sir_Sefirot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Feb 2007, 5:13 pm

paolo wrote:
Sir_Sefirot wrote:
paolo wrote:

It was meant to be ironical, if one can be ironical in these matters.

Well, your irony happens to be quite real 8) Paradoxical but real nonetheless...

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 4:15 am

This whole business of oxymorons, euphemisms, obscure jargon, elusive statements, embellishment of horrors and outright lies is part of the “presentation of self by political actors”. Actors are sometimes individuals, sometimes corporate entities, most frequently a mix of the two. They cannot say what they are really doing. A large part of modern politics is conducted by secret services and their operations are in total opposition the the values formally extolled in the “charters” of legality, constitutions, penal codes (valid only for the public at large). So there remains a formidable task of hiding, doctoring, spinning, distracting the attention of the public, terrorizing it with the alleged existence of devilish plots by evil forces. Plots really exist on each side, but which ones are real an which an invention or a pretext for repression, like the Reichstag fire in 1933?

Sir_Sefirot

08 Feb 2007, 6:13 am

paolo wrote:
This whole business of oxymorons, euphemisms, obscure jargon, elusive statements, embellishment of horrors and outright lies is part of the “presentation of self by political actors”. Actors are sometimes individuals, sometimes corporate entities, most frequently a mix of the two. They cannot say what they are really doing. A large part of modern politics is conducted by secret services and their operations are in total opposition the the values formally extolled in the “charters” of legality, constitutions, penal codes (valid only for the public at large). So there remains a formidable task of hiding, doctoring, spinning, distracting the attention of the public, terrorizing it with the alleged existence of devilish plots by evil forces. Plots really exist on each side, but which ones are real an which an invention or a pretext for repression, like the Reichstag fire in 1933?

Don't atribute to conspirations what you can atribute to the Universe fabric. The universe is full (in fact made) of paradoxes and oxymorons, and it has nothing to do with eeeeeevil conspirationists. Just research some literature and you'll see for yourself.

I've always found conspiration theories amusing. After all, if they're SOOOO powerful, why haven't we been killed yet? C'mon.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 5:48 pm

While I do make fun of war, as far as those directly involved, I hope they take it like "Good morning Viet Nam!" War is hell, I am not there, so I try to be the Gunga Din of humor.

While there is a claim that there are super secret special groups, who follow no rule but win, if there are, I am dissapointed in their performance.

We do have problems, sending a few Congressmen to jail, electing Democrats, is just a game. As the archer said to Conan, when he saw his first city, "It is called civilizataion, it is very old, and wicked."

Now is not like any time in history, it is not states with armies fighting, it is like tribal warfare, fought off and on over broad areas and time. Only now small migratory tribes might have a suitcase nuke, a hundred pounds of Ricen, and he who fights the next war with the weapons of the last, loses.

We are at war, but the highest levels of our military are political apointees. So is the Cabinet, and the Commander in Chief. Corporations have too much influance. They are all playing musical chairs.

There does come times when history says change is needed, from the Greek roots of democracy when it was not working, Salon was empowered to write a new law code, then banished, so he could not be used to change it. During war, when everyone faced death, where we are now, a Dictaor was elected, and given total rule, but for a limited time. If none is elected, one will rise, Hitler, Stalin, I can think of better choices.

We do have a few good men, we call them Marines, and the Commandant has always been an able and honorable man. I propose picking one, and giving him total control of the government for ten years, then go back to elected government.

The main advantage is, we might still be alive in ten years. The next election is less than two years, under the Constituion the People have a Right to change the form of Government by majority vote.

This thread is about endless spin, but we are not selling soap, it is all on the line now. If you are pro war, let the pros run it, if you are anti war, vote for the least war, world peace is not an option.

Many of our heros died for their country in training accidents, here. For a while the M151 jeep was killing more than the enemy was, like a lot of things, it was forced on our military due to campanign contrabutions. Parts of this war are for real, but for others, it is just a way to make a buck.