Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ThomasL
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Dec 2013, 6:17 am

Conversation seems to be very fast - especially on TV and in movies... and when talking with people, I have a hard time responding in a quick & witty way... I always feel pressured to give SOME reply quickly, and often feel it was awkward, etc., and then much later I might think of a cool, witty thing I should have said instead...

Does this sound familiar?

Is there a name for this "symptom"?

Is it common among people with HFA/Asperger's?

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2013, 9:18 am

I think that's common for ASD's. I often take time to think of a response. I don't think there's a name for this symptoms but for me I think it may be due to not thinking in words much. I have to force myself to have an inner monologue and think with words. Most people also know how to think before they speak and I have difficulty doing that as well. Most everything that comes out of my mouth or writing is automatic.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 10:30 am

Very common, yes. It takes us longer to process things, so there can be awkward pauses while we interpret speech and think of replies. If you can get your friends to be okay with this, you may be able to get the time in conversations with them. Otherwise, you may have to rely on automatic responses and scripts. When it really matters, put it in writing. Writing gives you as long as you need to think about what to say.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 1:00 pm

i have that problem but mostly because i have a low verbal I.Q and have trouble speaking.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 1:06 pm

The French call thinking of the perfect thing to say too late "l'esprit de l'escalier", or the wit of the staircase. As in, you wished you had some witty remark to say before you left the room, but it didn't occur to you until you had already reached the stairs, too late to deliver it.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 1:13 pm

This is the story of my life. I think it is part of the neurological difference we have because of Asperger's.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 1:22 pm

Yep! Mine too!
Might also be because we want reason in everything.

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Dec 2013, 4:50 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
The French call thinking of the perfect thing to say too late "l'esprit de l'escalier", or the wit of the staircase. As in, you wished you had some witty remark to say before you left the room, but it didn't occur to you until you had already reached the stairs, too late to deliver it.

I love that! I always come up with the wittiest lines long after the moment has passed.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 4:55 pm

I think so.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 8:32 pm

It feels this way for me and my autistic friends have a similar experience.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 1:03 am

Yes, I attribute it to:

1) time it takes to translate into words
2) seeing more than is typical, even if it's the same amount broken into more pieces
3) actually listening while the other person is speaking instead of crafting a response

JakeDay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Dec 2013, 7:22 am

I have this problem constantly (another reason online interaction is great).

But, I suspect this a condition universal to all humans. It is a widely documented experience.
Also... some of the wittiest come-backs I ever heard sprang from the mouths of autistics.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 8:36 am

Sometimes I respond hours or days later.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 8:37 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
i have that problem but mostly because i have a low verbal I.Q and have trouble speaking.
What is verbal IQ?

Wreck It Ralph

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 8:51 am

I have that problem all the time. It wasn't so apparent when I was a kid, but around the time I turned 12, it started really becoming a problem for me. For a good few years, I seriously thought that I sounded mentally challenged when I talked, and it even got to the point where I worried that I hit my head too hard somewhere and suffered some form of brain damage.

dreamingofhome
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Dec 2013, 9:17 am

ThomasL wrote:
Conversation seems to be very fast - especially on TV and in movies... and when talking with people, I have a hard time responding in a quick & witty way... I always feel pressured to give SOME reply quickly, and often feel it was awkward, etc., and then much later I might think of a cool, witty thing I should have said instead...

Does this sound familiar?

Is there a name for this "symptom"?

Is it common among people with HFA/Asperger's?

I have scripted responses that I am able to give without thinking much about them (because otherwise it would take me forever to respond to anything). But when there's a response I wasn't prepared for then I tend to reply back quickly with something that might not make sense or is innapropriate. Or I ramble.

So yes, this sounds familiar, and it sucks.