Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 5:50 pm

I think the following is a really good video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_-NLEr_VB4[/youtube]

Sona_21
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2013, 6:36 pm

That was indeed hilarious. "Is she in training!"
Thanks for sharing.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 8:48 pm

Really, how does a service dog help an autistic?
Yeah, it's good to have one at home, but why would an autistic need to bring one everywhere they go?

Diagnosed in 2005

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 10:05 pm

Pete, with you being 43 and me being 50, we're both of the generation where the only persons with a service animal were blind people.

I only know a little bit, but maybe an autistic person might want a service animal for many of the same reasons a person with epilepsy might.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 10:20 pm

pete1061 wrote:
Really, how does a service dog help an autistic?
Yeah, it's good to have one at home, but why would an autistic need to bring one everywhere they go?

here are the reasons I can think of

1. for autistics who wonder or elope

2. for autistics that have severe sensory overload.

3. for autistics who have no forum of communication

4. for autistics that have aggressive or self injurious behavior or meltdowns/shutdowns

5. for autistics who's mind goes into their own world and because of it will cause the person to be unaware what their doing

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2013, 10:47 pm

Guide dogs can help people with all kinds of disabilities now. I've seen a dog on TV open doors for her owner in a wheelchair, pick out items at a store, and even take money from the owner and put it on the store counter.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2013, 3:11 am

Thanks, I just wanted to know. makes sense.

The messed up thing is that there are people who abuse the service animal system, and get a referral from a doctor or psych just so that they can have a dog in an apartment that doesn't allow pets, or just so that they can take their purse dog everywhere, that isn't even a certified, trained service animal. I know they are probably just a minority but they make the whole service animal system look bad.

Diagnosed in 2005

Nathanselove
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Dec 2013, 6:15 pm

Hey all! I'm the guy in this video. I thought I could answer some of your questions. First off Jenisa is mostly right about the basics. Sylvia (my service dog) is used to help keep my sensory levels down and in check. She will apply deep pressure therapy when needed, stay close and protect me when I have meltdowns, and alert me when I am doing something with my body that I don't realize. For example one time I pulled my dad's bookmark out of his book without even realizing it till he told me. He wasn't too happy about that. Oh and Lostonearth I thought I should point out that a guide dog is a specific type of service dog. Guide dogs are for the blind. Oh and pete yes the use of fake service dogs has been a growing issue and it causes more hard ships to actual service dog owners than you might think. It has been causing a demonetization of people with service dogs and because I asperger's is hidden I always wonder if I am going to get someone challenging whether or not I can have the dog. By law I can but sometimes that doesn't stop discrimination.

ShadowAspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Dec 2013, 6:31 pm

i hav a service dog her names Madame Curie and she helps with my diabetes and aspergers disorder. along with being my therapy companion.

http://www.wdbj7.com/video/an-appomatto ... index.html

click the link to help get the word out about the problem of stores not letn us in

shadow out

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 2:25 am

I live in a very, very small backwoods town in the middle of nowhere in rural Alabama. We have one blind guy in town and he takes his service dog everywhere, but the dog wears clothes to let people know. Plus, everybody knows he's blind so they don't bother the dog. However, because it's a very, very small backwoods town in the middle of nowhere in rural Alabama, a whole lot of people bring their dogs everywhere with them anyway. I don't just mean letting them ride in the car with them or leaving them in the back of the truck. The dogs go in with them. In the store, in the bank, in the courthouse, in the BBQ place, in church. In nice weather they prop the doors open at the schools so they don't have to turn the air on and dogs come in there. There is even a special name for dogs that go in places with people. They are called their "riding around dogs". They don't wear leashes either - no leash law.

I tried to make Saban my riding around dog but he won't do anything but just run off. He's a wolf/husky hybrid and all they want to do is run. And run. And run. Neither him nor the other one has any interest in staying with me when we go outside. That's why he can't leave the house or fenced back yard. My husband had a riding around dog though. He was blind. The dog, not my husband. He went everywhere with him. We finally had to give him to my MIL to live up there at the lake because he was digging up my neighbors flowers and wouldn't quit. The next dog I get though, I'm teaching him to be a riding around dog for me.

What I hate is when people bring their riding around dogs to our house. It upsets my dogs. The mayor has a real job as a repairman/handyman/contractor. He has two riding around dogs and when he came to fix my mothers air conditioner he brought them with him, and brought them in the house. She had to put her little s**t dog up in the bedroom while they were there. They were shepherds I think. We have a lawyer who brings his hunting dogs to work with him and they stay in his office and he brings them to court with him too. Our judge sometimes brings his hunting dog. He just lays under the bench though and stays out of the way. The other night my son's girlfriends friend brought some little hand dog over here with her. My dogs got very upset about that. I was afraid they would kill it when she wanted to introduce it to my dog, but Saban actually peed on it. I hope she won't bring it back.

AutisticMillionaire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Dec 2013, 12:38 pm

I let my employees bring their dogs to work, it makes things more comfortable...and when I can't small talk, or feel an awkward pause I just talk to their dogs.

My dog is with me 24/7, in my office at work, and by my side almost constantly. She can sense when I'm into a bad mood or if my tempers flared up and will immediately try to pacify me, then I get guilty I got my her upset as she's an old dog almost 14. A very maternal dog, she mothers me constantly.

God has created no beast as noble as the dog, they make us better people.

"What do I care about law? Ain't I got the power?"
Cornelius Vanderbilt

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 10:29 pm

Hi Nathan, thank you for making a very good video. :jocolor: :D :bball: And I hope it is okay my re-posting it here, I do mean it as high praise.

And, Welcome to Wrong Planet! Please feel free to participate as much or as little as you wish.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 2:46 am

I don’t see anything s**t about asking how does a dog help someone with autism or how their dog reminds you of your dog who died or saying you wouldn’t know they were disabled without a dog.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2013, 2:23 pm

Lol to OliveOilMom about "ridin' around dogs"! We say that in Virginia as well. We also have "ridin' around shotguns"!

I have a neurological disease and I'm also pregnant right now. My dog is NOT service trained, but he's astonishingly helpful if I'm having trouble walking or talking. He also stays very close to me now and stands or sits in front of my belly if something rambunctious is going on. I think more people should get service dogs for hidden disabilities.

It's too bad stupid nosy people can't get a service dog to prevent them from asking rude questions. lol

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 3:15 pm

It's the same question over and over again. And the person thinks they're being wildly original, and they aren't.

That would probably bother you or me, too. This is what I take from Nathan's video.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 5:39 pm

VAGraduateStudent wrote:
Lol to OliveOilMom about "ridin' around dogs"! We say that in Virginia as well. We also have "ridin' around shotguns"!

I have a neurological disease and I'm also pregnant right now. My dog is NOT service trained, but he's astonishingly helpful if I'm having trouble walking or talking. He also stays very close to me now and stands or sits in front of my belly if something rambunctious is going on. I think more people should get service dogs for hidden disabilities.

It's too bad stupid nosy people can't get a service dog to prevent them from asking rude questions. lol

The thing about lots of people having service dogs is that if a bunch of people had dogs like that, you would end up having dogs everywhere. That wouldn't bother some people, but it could really bother others. Especially people allergic to animals. We have dogs all over the place here, so I've seen people complain about sneezing when they go to some store or other. One of the guys that runs the Arab store has a cat that lives at the store. Inside the store. He's gotten a lot of complaints about it but mainly pretends not to understand them. He's told me that it's his cat and he's not arguing with them so he just smiles and says "I don't understand you". It blows up when dogs come in though. It exploded at my dog one night when I took him in there when I was trying to take him places. He ran around and hid behind the counter and wouldn't come out. I had to go get him.