Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Bezeone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2013, 9:43 pm

Well, it clearly was a waste of 3 hours of my life.

-Nintendo's grand surprise was who the 4th Kong was. (While the Dorito Pope just went after Reggie.)

-One of the hosts sounded like he was bored out of his life and made horrible jokes.

-Most of the World Premieres was just not interesting. (Even Titanfall wasn't very impressive, just different types of Titans.)

-They had around 20 minutes of the show dedicated to a GTA V concert. (Of course, the N and MF word was added because a song is not complete without those sacred words! The other singer of the last song...what the world? I really don't know how to put it. But at the end, he or someone else took their shirt off, to no applause.) I was on my GamePad as the stream was going on and I was bored, so it must have happened while I was distracted.

-Sony had NOTHING to show.

-And the trailer for Tom Clancy's The Division looked very beautiful due to the detail in graphics, but falls on it's face as it was more of a trailer for the game engine.

In my opinion, sums of the whole show.

RandyM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Dec 2013, 3:19 pm

So basically like every years VGA?

Bezeone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2013, 5:44 pm

RandyM wrote:
So basically like every years VGA?

I've never seen the other VGA's before. (I've only watched for Nintendo's announcement.)

But from what I heard...

-It's not done in a ''Hollywood'' style with a crowd and stage. Rather it's just Geoff and Joel and the special guests.

-And of course, without the extraordinary game reveals. (When that certain 4th Kong is the only thing trending on Twitter with all of your game reveals and world premieres, that's a shame.)

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 8:46 pm

I looked into it and I gotta say you're right. There is no justice this year.
http://www.screwattack.com/news/vgx-why ... rve-better
Here's the article if you don't want to click the link.

Quote:
Some of you guys may not know this, but I'm a sucker for award shows. Well, just the Oscars really, but that's because I have an abiding love for cinema and love to see films that were really good get the credit they deserve. Yes, it is basically Hollywood self-congratulating itself, and has so many dumb policies and biases. Still, I like it.

Which brings me to the VGA's. The VGA's are pretty infamous for being, well, s**t. Many believe it to be an award show that seems to really go for the dudebro crowd and instead of celebrating the medium, it seems to have an awkward disdain for it. Usually relying on its "World Premieres," awkward celebrity cameos, and crazy amount of product placement.

I have to be honest: I never saw the VGA's. I heard they were terrible, so I decided to just wait for the trailers to come and watch them in the morning. Now however, the VGA's had changed to the VGX. A fresh start, so I decided to see it just for s**ts and giggles.

How wrong of an idea it was.

For those that didn't see, the VGX was more than a simple renaming. They changed the entire setting, making it pretty much an extended version of Attack of the Show or X-Play and add some awards, The Dewrito Overlord Geoff Keighly, and Jeff Winger from Community into the mix. That is not as great as it sounds unfortunately.

The awards portion itself was kinda lame. Game of the Year (which was given to GTA V) was given in the middle of the show, with no real buildup or excitement. Stuff like Best Shooter and Best Character were given away after or before the show. Does that make any sense to you? It sure doesn't to me.

So it was up to the reveals to make it all work. Those are usually pretty awesome. Skyrim, Metal Gear Solid V, Last of Us, Mass Effect 3, the list goes on and on when it comes to cool games being announced. This time? Not really, all we got were mostly trailers and gameplay footage of games we already knew about, such as The Division, Witcher 3, Stick of Truth and Quantum Break. The only new things came from Telltale (they're making a Borderlands game and a Game of Thrones one) and Hello Games' No Man's Sky (which looks unbelievably awesome and was the best thing shown). That's it. No big announcements. The one thing that made people want to watch your show and you failed to deliver.

I get the feeling that many of us want to like the VGA/VGX because it probably is (well, now was, since it's barely an awards show anymore) the biggest ceremony celebrating video games that isn't a trade show like E3 or Gamescom, and it's frustrating to see it be done so poorly, in a way that doesn't celebrate, but opposes gaming culture, not to mention trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. All of this would be fine, if this wasn't the most well known video game award show, but it is, and that's sad.

We gamers deserve an awards show that treats gamers, and most importantly, the people behind making these wonderful video games, with some dignity and respect. Luckily, I've got just the thing.

If you're a film fan like myself, you may have heard of the BAFTA's, or the British Academy of Film and Television Arts. Now you may be wondering why I'm mentioning them if you don't know them, and it's because they also have a Video Game Awards portion, something they've been doing since 1998. There may be no fancy world exclusive trailers and it may be more focused on Britain, but it actually celebrates the medium in a classic fashion. THE PEOPLE WEAR TUXEDOS AND EVERYTHING! It's not by any means perfect. It seems to be lacking in certain nominees (nothing for Best Writing for instance, or Best Studio), but it's a definite step in the right direction, and I urge you to check it out (the Awards are always streamed, and you can watch the old awards on Youtube).

So yeah, the VGX were disappointing, unfunny, mean-spirited, and just kind of boring. We may have lost the pointless celebrity cameos and overabundant product placement (No Mountain Dew or Doritos in sight), but what we got was just..... lifeless. Now that it doesn't even have all that great reveals (well, besides No Man's Sky and Telltale working on Borderlands), why are we still watching? There's now less need than ever. We deserve more than this. That may sound whiny and overly-entitled, but it's the truth. With the BAFTA's around, there's no need whatsoever. And unless Spike TV and the Dewrito pope take the criticism they got on Twitter to heart (which I doubt), we'll probably see the end of the VGX by the end of 2014, and NO ONE will be sad about it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'M GONNA MAKE MY OWN VIDEO GAME AWARDS SHOW! WITH BLACKJACK! AND HOOKERS! In fact, forget the awards show.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Bezeone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2013, 4:20 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaCso_b_PtY[/youtube]

Here is just an nibble of the awkward cake.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 4:21 pm

Bezeone wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaCso_b_PtY[/youtube]

Got rid of the s for you.

It's worse than I imagined. They have the nerve! Videogamers have been stereotyped before but this is too much and too low and this is what they think of any person who picks up a controller or a handheld and becomes a fan of the industry. No Justice this year! It's like they were telling it to our faces. It's like they didn't want to be there doing such an awards show. It's like they were laughing at us like we are losers. Only a minute was all I needed to understand the punches they were throwing and I didn't want to watch anymore. I can guess what other stuff they would have said if I kept watching and much less than a 16th of the jokes would even apply directly to me. It's not funny that way. I'm not a stereotype of what they imagine of us and neither are you. It's another chapter in the decline of video gaming.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Last edited by Aspiegaming on 10 Dec 2013, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bezeone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2013, 4:22 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Bezeone wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaCso_b_PtY[/youtube]

Got rid of the s for you.

Thanks!

RandyM

11 Dec 2013, 1:11 am

I think this was just a case of Geoff whatshisface TRYING to listen to the fans, but then completely ignoring requests. I know he's pissed off a lot more people than gamers. Mark Hamil was pretty pissed off to be invited to the VGA's last year and when it came to his award they just completely glossed over it. Also I recall them getting Sarah Silverman who just insulted everybody, and then they had a bunch of random nobodies appear on the show. At least this time, it felt like Joel McHale was insulting the host and not the fans.. So that's a plus I guess. :lol: