Do aspies have gender role expectations?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 2:33 am

Well, house husbands in the world compete with pandas in rarity, it's not like we men have a lot of choices in that regard...

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 10:24 am

I'm dating (and soon will be living with) a nerdy tomboy. Gender roles are mostly social constructs not rooted in biology so most of these expectations seem entirely arbitrary to me.

TM1337FalconPunch
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Dec 2013, 12:27 pm

I'm not sure why aspies as a demographic would be any more inclined towards gender role biases than average.

For what its worth, I don't really care what any potential partner of mine does or looks like, because they're just not important in determining whether I care for them. Relationships are two way, so you should be free to just act in accordance with what you need to do to keep it going.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 2:39 pm

TM1337FalconPunch wrote:
I'm not sure why aspies as a demographic would be any more inclined towards gender role biases than average.

Review any number of threads in this subforum you will see a lot of aspies do seem to rebel against gender roles.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 4:06 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
TM1337FalconPunch wrote:

Review any number of threads in this subforum you will see a lot of aspies do seem to rebel against gender roles.

I think we're less inclined to accept or understand social norms in general, not just gender based ones.

TM1337FalconPunch

12 Dec 2013, 10:42 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
TM1337FalconPunch wrote:

And who's to say those that don't rebel against gender roles just don't make threads/posts about it?

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 12:12 pm

Shau wrote:
All I want is a nerdy girl with a cute butt. She can be a total tomboy for all I care!

LOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOL................THIS ^

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 7:36 pm

My parents used to insist that I greet other boys with a handshake and girls with a kiss on the cheek. I couldn't (and still can't) see why I should treat them differently. To this day I still insist on handshaking everyone.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 4:22 am

Personally I always wanted to be a wife and stay at home mom, but I don't believe that is best for every woman nor do I have a problem with men being stay at home dads. As a kid I played more with my brother's ninja turtles than my stupid Barbies. So no, overall I guess not.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 2:33 pm

carturo222 wrote:
My parents used to insist that I greet other boys with a handshake and girls with a kiss on the cheek. I couldn't (and still can't) see why I should treat them differently. To this day I still insist on handshaking everyone.

Good! I hate being kissed on the cheek :x

FrankiDelano
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2013, 2:42 pm

I will never allow my wife/girlfriend to cook, except unless she really wanted to or if it was a special occasion. That's about the biggest gender role expectation I want.

Other than that in a relationship I can imagine doing most of the laundry and the cleaning, since I hold a near religious belief that laundry must be done at least every week,

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 7:55 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
carturo222 wrote:

Good! I hate being kissed on the cheek :x

Same here! The idea of some guy I barely know kissing me makes my skin crawl!

ReaperDan84

15 Dec 2013, 8:45 pm

No, obviously I'm happy to take care of stuff like fixing things/heavy lifting/spider removal but then I also cook and do my own laundry etc. Besides, a lot of the women I know can't cook to save their lives looooool.

Lost my mind, God help the person that finds it

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 5:47 am

ReaperDan84 wrote:
No, obviously I'm happy to take care of stuff like fixing things/heavy lifting/spider removal but then I also cook and do my own laundry etc. Besides, a lot of the women I know can't cook to save their lives looooool.

Why obviously?

LucySnowe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Dec 2013, 4:35 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
ReaperDan84 wrote:

Why obviously?

I think it was a matter of punctuation, as in: "No; obviously, I'm happy..." as a way of saying "I like to do these things, of course."

(Sorry, yellowtamarin and ReaperDan 84; I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi!)

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 6:13 pm

LucySnowe wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
ReaperDan84 wrote:

Why obviously?

I think it was a matter of punctuation, as in: "No; obviously, I'm happy..." as a way of saying "I like to do these things, of course."

(Sorry, yellowtamarin and ReaperDan 84; I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi!)

Yeah, I'm wondering why it would be a given that he would be happy to do those things. This is a thread about gender roles/expectations after all.