Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 11:48 am

League_Girl wrote:
cavernio wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
What does this score mean? Also I hate black an white answers because I saw at least two questions that made me think it depends on the situation. If someone wants to know the ending of the movie, tell them.

I suspect that the ability to generalize beyond specific situations is in part what the questionnaire might be getting at. If you can't see specific situations as separate from an overall generalization, then you're being 'overly' detail oriented, another symptom of autism. It might also create problems when trying to read any social situation, as one might apply too much meaning to certain gestures or actions or be considering too wide a scope of possibilities, making your responses slower, possibly making them inappropriate, and possibly overwhelming you.

I have a hard time understanding how this pertains to Alzheimer's, as the OP said.

I am not sure I understood your response. Do you mean I had a hard time generalizing and was focusing on the details (being detailed orientated) to the questions but I still happened to get them right?

Umm, almost. I didn't mean to refer to you specifically, if you replace 'your' in my post with 'one', that is what I meant to say. I quoted you because you brought up the idea of black and white, whereas I see the questions as, in part, measuring the ability to generalize properly. I think that if someone gets them right then they don't have an issue generalizing social norms properly, since you got them right I figure you're fine with social norms (since I don't really know you at all and given that this test measures knowledge of social norms.)
But also as you said, as in my prior post to the one you linked, I too found vagueness with lots of questions, and if pressed I could probably think of 2 or 3 situations for each question where the correct answer would be opposite than what is generally correct. I suspect there might be people who, upon thinking about some of those specific scenarios, would then answer incorrectly for the vague-ish, general question that the test uses, since being 'overly' detail oriented could get in the way.
I think the answers are black and white, or rather that the questions are vague, on purpose.

Poor motivation

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 11:59 am

bumble wrote:
Why is it not ok to wear the same shirt or top etc (if it's been freshly washed) on consecutive days? And is that why my neighbours were so keen to gossip about my always wearing the same coat?

Also why can't you ask someone's age?

Men ask me my age then run when I say I am 38. Actually they say "Oh, I didn't think you were *that* old. oh thanks.

Norms don't need to make sense :-p The clothing thing is much worse for women then men, women are expected to have more clothes or something. A sign of effort? I dunno. I just know I'm not supposed to do it and quite frankly it doesn't affect me much since I let laundry pile up and my shirts smell too bad if I wear them more than a day in a row (well, sweaters and other overshirts don't, but I also see to feed my shirt as much as my mouth too so it's unlikely I'll have a shirt stay clean from one day to the next.) I don't perceive wearing the same coat everyday as a social faux-pas. Perhaps if it were the same, ugly or stained coat everyday, (in which case it would be that you have no 'nice' or 'normal' coat to wear, as it's only acceptable to look like a slouch only some of the time) or wore the same one I wear in July as January.

Poor motivation

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 1:49 pm

Total Score 17
Calculated Break Score 5
Calculated Overadhere Score 0
Calculated Yes-No Ratio Score 2.14