Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ToShinTim
Raven
Raven

10 Dec 2013, 9:19 pm

Short and simple works best for me.

I live at home with my mother and 5 younger siblings, who have, over time, learned how to make me angry very easily. They all have mental illnesses in one form or another, and it drives me crazy just staying here at home with no employment at all. In my town, there is a facility known as the Youth Opportunity Center, which deals with/handles "problem children" that have either committed a crime, or have (been) abused, etc...

I've been told by my mother that this sort of employment wouldn't be good for me, as I would encounter some of the same people in that environment. Though, as a college student working towards a degree in psychology, it is clearly stated on the application that psych education is preferred. From what I gather from my older brother who used to work there, the "happenings" that go on there include restraining the individuals, calming them down, putting them in an isolation cell if needed, etc..

I'm autistic myself, and though I think I could handle this, I have a slight doubt at the same time. Any advice?

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 10:08 pm

I read your post. I would say this. Give it a try. The worst case scenario is that you quit.

Scubasgirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2013, 9:19 pm

You may surprise yourself. Your siblings likely frustrate you because they are your siblings. You may find however that you can keep your cool when other people are overwhelmed by situations and can relate to the kids you are working with from a perspective that NT's don't have.

I am this way. I worked with children and adults with cognitive and physical disabilities long before I learned that I was an aspie. I panic when I lose my favorite pen, but I have called 911 and done what needed to be done in emergency situations where NT's around me were crumbling.

You'll never know if you don't try.