Managers with unrealistic expectations.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2013, 10:50 am

It happens all the time.

So here is the situation.

I have been with a local grocery store for a number of years now. Currently I am making my moves in order to get the hell out of retail and into something new. But still going there everyday is a challenge when it did not used to be. Main reason, I've been doing that job for too long......Soooooo with that in mind.

This past week has been hell for retail workers all over the United States and in other nation states as well I would imagine. I work on the third shift of a grocery crew and last night we had a delivery that totaled to fifteen hundred individual pieces. We had five guys working last night. One guy had to take some time off and go throughout the store and change the sale tags on certain items. The other guy was new to third shift, we had another guy who is larger and more obese, therefore he moves slower than everybody else. For me the night started out slow because I only got three hours of sleep due to a possible deviated septum. At around 2:30 a.m. I started to pick up steam and move faster. But I could still feel the restraint my body was under due to lack of sleep.

Since we have a union, nobody else seems to give a s**t about the fact that we are being yelled at as a whole . I seem to be the only one who gives a s**t other than two others which include the department head. I have talked to a couple of other trusted sources about this and both of them told me not to worry about it. It is simply management trying to get as much blood out of us as possible. This is a normal thing and goes on all the time.

One thing I have learned is that whether you are working for a corporation, or in the public sector or in non-profit there will always be what I have come to know as.....mmmmm......professional bullies. These are managers, not leaders, who look at their employees not as people but as assets, nothing more who are just as disposable as the inanimate objects that are used in the daily operations of whatever job you are in. They could be that way because: their manager is giving them a bonus based on how much work gets done or maybe because they feel they have something to prove for whatever reason. My solution has been to get out of the job I'm in and get where I want to go. However, even in my vocation of choice I know I will have to deal with them, question is how.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 10:55 am

Actually when such thing happens, it hurts me deeply if I thought to be on neutral or good terms with an person. But if that person does so regularly, and t in general, he simply becomes an as*hole to me, and I dont give a f**k about it anymore. Its a cockroach, making noise with his mouth. I dont mind what he says or thinks anymore. Its not worth bothering, about what such people say.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 11:01 am

I couldn't stand the managers I've had over the years. One of the criteria for being a manager must be as*hole because that's how they all came across. I just tried to avoid them as much as possible. You're right. They don't care about you. Their agenda is to get work done regardless of how you feel. They don't give a toss about you and I never cared for them, either. Just did my work and stayed out of their way.

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2013, 11:06 am

Yeah leadership and how to treat your people is not something that is taught at all in this country.

Wafflemarine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2013, 11:38 am

Try working at UPS you guys get a week or so of hell try a month plus. Been putting in 40 plus hours all Nov and since Dec hit 50 plus hour shifts and it will be about this half way though Jan. This is not a job someone just does full time I can eat a 2k plus calorie breakfast and burn it in a little over 4 hours then hopefully I can cram food into my mouth before going onto my second shift.

My second shift is helping drivers deliver in below zero Fahrenheit weather and some days I run on about 20 or a 30 min break for 11 hours of working.

Couldn't even go to my second shift since my first one ran so long I wouldn't have had time to get to the where my driver picks me up in time. I guess that is like taking a break off only worked 8 hours nonstop today.

Our managers think we are like santas magical elves and can fit 700 plus packages into a truck...

/endrantandcolapse

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 1:36 pm

I'm guessing they know that because of the union, all the boss can do is yell, there is no teeth behind it.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 1:50 pm

I've seen my share of bad management over the years, and it is hard to let unfair criticism slide off. Many of those managers are less concerned with people, and more about how employee accomplishments reflect on the manager himself(herself). I decided to earn less in a more peaceful job environment... a worthy trade off.