Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 5:01 pm

This one at Arapaho HS in Centennial Colorado. Not far from my home. Not that far from Columbine. I know 5 kids attending Arapaho HS [families are members here] Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of Sandy Hook. I feel sick.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 5:03 pm

How many people died in car accidents today?

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 5:42 pm

Eh, 1 person died.

That was the shooter.

By his own hand.

So pretty standard, except that he didn't kill anyone else. It seems he was looking for a specific teacher. If he'd waited for them to leave, he would have probably succeeded, and it wouldn't have been considered a school shooting.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 5:50 pm

What the hell is up with all these families whose kids have gun access?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 6:09 pm

Just having something means someone else has access to it. Doesn't matter who.

Blaming the owner, if they've made "reasonable" steps to keep it secure, is akin to victim blaming.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 6:26 pm

Again with the illogical, irrelevant, poor reading comprehension/unjustified assumptions. WP lately. :roll:

Dillogic wrote:
Just having something means someone else has access to it. Doesn't matter who.

Is this relevant to anybody's comment? Or the article? Of course someone else has access to it, but who that someone is makes all the difference.

Quote:
Blaming the owner, if they've made "reasonable" steps to keep it secure, is akin to victim blaming.

Did someone blame the owner? and this makes no sense anyway unless the owner was a victim. How can something be akin to victim-blaming without being directed at a victim?

Last edited by starkid on 13 Dec 2013, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 6:33 pm

i am starting to fear for papa's safety. he is a school teacher.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 6:34 pm

starkid wrote:
Is this relevant to my comment? Of course someone else has access to it, but who that someone is makes all the difference. I specifically said kids.

Yeah, it is. If you own something and you have kids, they're going to have access to it no matter what. Keys can be found. Doors can be broken. That's just how it goes. Now, whether you can tell if you have homicidal kids or not is another matter. Conduct problems can manifest early on though.

starkid wrote:
NOT what I said or implied, if that's what you are implying, and this makes no sense anyway unless the owner was the victim of the shooting. Victim-blaming must be directed at a victim.

See: akin to. Someone using something I own, and blaming me for owning it, is akin to victim blaming; it was the person who did the act who is to blame, no one else. Far too often are other things blamed for the actions of the person. Yeah, people like to have some control and all that, but any control they implement often just punishes the good people.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 7:00 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:

I fear for my school age daughter.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 7:13 pm

The chance of someone dying in a "school shooting" would be so small as to be statistically moot in comparison to other forms of death.

It'd be an irrational fear.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 7:26 pm

Dillogic wrote:
The chance of someone dying in a "school shooting" would be so small as to be statistically moot in comparison to other forms of death.

It'd be an irrational fear.

Sure, I "know" that, but when it comes to your kids, you end up thinking more with your heart than your head.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 7:46 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AdamAutistic wrote:

I fear for my school age daughter.

And I fear for my own personhood, and that of my potentially spectrum child, and that of the members here, and et cetera.

That's probably an irrational fear too, right??

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 7:53 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
That's probably an irrational fear too, right??

Yes.

Irrational is when there's really no chance of it happening and you fear it.

Sure, if 1 in 100 kids were at risk, then that probably would be seen as a rational worry. But not 1 in...hundreds of thousands (probably millions).

Last edited by Dillogic on 13 Dec 2013, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 7:53 pm

your more likely to get struck by lightning than to die in a school shooting

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 8:01 pm

O course the likelihood of dying or being injured in a school shooting is so much smaller than being injured or killed in a car accident. That does not trivialize the fact that despite more and more supposed precautions are being taken to decrease these incidents, they are growing in frequency.

I find that more than a little disturbing. As far as it being "no big deal," Columbine HS is 8 miles away from Arapaho HS. For years parents in Centennial[ and to a lesser degree,the entire country] have been assuring their children that they are safe. and yet this happens at a high school only 8 miles away. Dismissing the significance of these events, and how they can impact our childrens [NT and autistic] is wrong.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 8:11 pm

The deal that's made is far too large when looked at objectively.

Terrible events are terrible, but they should be taken for what they are, not for what they could be.