Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2013, 10:16 pm

Do energy drinks make it easier for you to socialize or harder? Is it worth the crash a lot of people feel when it wears off?

I think it makes it easier for me but that's just me.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2013, 10:23 pm

I drank two of them for the first time last week, while assisting a 5-day conference. They helped focus and staying awake.

I didn't really notice crashes, although I did notice somewhat increased socialization energy.

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2013, 12:51 am

Shatbat wrote:
I drank two of them for the first time last week, while assisting a 5-day conference. They helped focus and staying awake.

I didn't really notice crashes, although I did notice somewhat increased socialization energy.

I felt the social energy thing too. On some drinks I crash, on others I don't. Five hour energy gives me that happy social energy feeling and I don't feel a crash. Monster, red bull and slap make me crash. Have you tried five hour energy?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 2:10 am

I stay away from those drinks. Too much sugar and caffine. I have enough problems with anxiety.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 2:17 am

I haven't noticed any change in my ability to socialize. I have always drank energy drinks for the energy from the caffeine and sugar. Actually now it's just to keep the withdrawals at bay. Caffeine is a very unrelenting master.
Now I'm just hopelessly addicted to Red Bull. I know I need to stop, it's way too expensive and I think it's has my blood sugar all wonkey to the point where I think this stuff is actually draining me of energy.

Diagnosed in 2005

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2013, 3:39 am

pete1061 wrote:
I haven't noticed any change in my ability to socialize. I have always drank energy drinks for the energy from the caffeine and sugar. Actually now it's just to keep the withdrawals at bay. Caffeine is a very unrelenting master.
Now I'm just hopelessly addicted to Red Bull. I know I need to stop, it's way too expensive and I think it's has my blood sugar all wonkey to the point where I think this stuff is actually draining me of energy.

Have you considered caffeine pills? That's what I do. I don't feel a crash, and it's zero calories. They are no more than ten bucks for 100 pills at wallgreens.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 3:47 am

Energy drinks makes no difference to me.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 3:54 am

For several years, I used to drink them all the time, as I somehow thought that they would get me feeling active and motivated, rather than feeling lazy and depressed like I often am. I decided to quit when I discovered how much money I was wasting on them, and how jittery and anxious they were making me. Not to mention, they did nothing to make me feel "normal" or motivated. I'll still have one once in a while if I have to stay awake for something, or if I just feel like drinking one for the taste.

That said, I do still enjoy drinking coffee, as it tastes good, it wakes me up, and it provides a "cleaner" caffeine buzz than energy drinks typically do.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 4:19 am

Usually energy drinks simply keep you awake. They dont have any effect about your general wish to socialize with people or not.

If you have troubles, because of being tired, then being more awake sure might help, but beside that, they dont have any influence.

Be carefule, because of the high amount of sugar, if you drink too much of them you get a rather weird effect of your mind being tired, because of the sugar, while your body is forced to be stressed due to the caffeine.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 5:42 am

StuffedMarshmallow wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

Have you considered caffeine pills? That's what I do. I don't feel a crash, and it's zero calories. They are no more than ten bucks for 100 pills at wallgreens.

The interesting thing about caffeine is that people get not just addicted to caffeine, but to a certain delivery method. Coffee drinkers are stuck on coffee, tea drinkers are stuck on tea.

I'm probably not just hooked on caffeine, but the sugar as well. Energy drinks have rather concentrated forms of sugar in the form of sucrose & glucose. The high doses of 'B' vitamins are probably habit forming as well.

The trick really is finding a suitable drink replacement.
Iced tea is a strong candidate.

Diagnosed in 2005

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 9:20 am

pete1061 wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

The interesting thing about caffeine is that people get not just addicted to caffeine, but to a certain delivery method. Coffee drinkers are stuck on coffee, tea drinkers are stuck on tea.

I'm probably not just hooked on caffeine, but the sugar as well. Energy drinks have rather concentrated forms of sugar in the form of sucrose & glucose. The high doses of 'B' vitamins are probably habit forming as well.

The trick really is finding a suitable drink replacement.
Iced tea is a strong candidate.

Interestingly enough, I find that the whole "ritual" of drinking coffee can be quite a relaxing thing, though it has to happen just the right way otherwise its somewhat unsettling. For one thing, I've grown used to drinking really strong coffee, much stronger than most people would take it. I like it that way because it's flavorful and I sip and savor it without just gulping it down. If I get coffee that's too weak, then I'll usually add cream and sugar to it, and while that's enjoyable, for about 5 minutes, I find myself gulping down cups like that really quickly, and then I don't feel as good afterwards.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 1:31 pm

I enjoy the flavor of coffee, but it can be frequently too acidic for my stomach.
And compared to Red Bull, it's stronger caffeine. Red Bull is actually one of the lowest caffeine among energy drinks, falling about halfway between Mtn Dew & drip coffee.
Too much caffeine too quickly can make one feel quite icky. And be potentially dangerous. Caffeine is an overdosable drug.

The relatively lower caffeine content makes me think that actually what I'm getting from Red Bull is more about the sugar rush & B-vitamin rush rather than purely caffeine. I really don't like the pure caffeine rush from coffee.

Speaking of "social" drinks. I find coffee to be more of a social drink. It's something I'll have when going out to a diner with friends.
It's something that many places give free refills and can be nursed at a table during conversations.

Diagnosed in 2005

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 2:22 pm

I felt the social energy thing too. On some drinks I crash, on others I don't. Five hour energy gives me that happy social energy feeling and I don't feel a crash. Monster, red bull and slap make me crash. Have you tried five hour energy?

I only used one brand, "Vive 100", which was sold at the event and is marketed mainly for people working at the office and businessmen. My first two energy drinks ever; I don't think that makes for enough of a sample size :lol: and I'm not even sure they did anything to me that couldn't also be explained by other factors. I shall drink more in the future though, when I feel like I need them.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

17 Dec 2013, 2:44 pm

They work for me........ I dunno whether I've used energy drinks in a social setting, however.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 7:48 pm

pete1061 wrote:
I enjoy the flavor of coffee, but it can be frequently too acidic for my stomach.
And compared to Red Bull, it's stronger caffeine. Red Bull is actually one of the lowest caffeine among energy drinks, falling about halfway between Mtn Dew & drip coffee.
Too much caffeine too quickly can make one feel quite icky. And be potentially dangerous. Caffeine is an overdosable drug.

The relatively lower caffeine content makes me think that actually what I'm getting from Red Bull is more about the sugar rush & B-vitamin rush rather than purely caffeine. I really don't like the pure caffeine rush from coffee.

Speaking of "social" drinks. I find coffee to be more of a social drink. It's something I'll have when going out to a diner with friends.
It's something that many places give free refills and can be nursed at a table during conversations.

I actually find that despite the fact that a can of Red Bull only has 80mg of caffeine, the b-vitamins and other stuff in it make me much more jittery than just something that has straight caffeine (like coffee or Mountain Dew).

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2013, 10:39 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

I actually find that despite the fact that a can of Red Bull only has 80mg of caffeine, the b-vitamins and other stuff in it make me much more jittery than just something that has straight caffeine (like coffee or Mountain Dew).

Interesting how two people can have totally opposite reactions to things.

Diagnosed in 2005