Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Hope4Alex
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Feb 2007, 11:17 am

I've read about many Aspie's that have higher than average IQ's and are very articulate but not much about those that are not doing well or didn't do well academically. Is this because there is a focusing issue or just because of disinterest in most things being taught.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 12:23 pm

I was a B student but told I had an A potential(that got old after a few years,I cringe at the word potential).My issues....

I do not only not have good rote memory,my memory is for crap in all things.Dont ask me my address,zip or phone #,or my boyfriend or bosses name,when stressed.I remember with repitition, hands on or observation.

I did not care about grades I cared about "knowing",this lead to me studying and learning the material and then not caring about the tests,papers,homework enough to turn them in.

I was always forgetting to bring my homework or hand it in or couldnt find it.

In college,I would spend days researching topics(often getting side-tracked by a more interesting sub-catagory),I would collect way to much info and not know how to leave any thing out(it was all important to me)and my spelling and grammar were horrid(pre-computers)all this and my desire to produce something "perfect" made me either not hand in finished papers because they were not up to my standards or ask for many extensions.....then there is procrastination.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 2:16 pm

krex wrote:
I was a B student but told I had an A potential(that got old after a few years,I cringe at the word potential).My issues....

I do not only not have good rote memory,my memory is for crap in all things.Dont ask me my address,zip or phone #,or my boyfriend or bosses name,when stressed.I remember with repitition, hands on or observation.

I did not care about grades I cared about "knowing",this lead to me studying and learning the material and then not caring about the tests,papers,homework enough to turn them in.

I was always forgetting to bring my homework or hand it in or couldnt find it.

In college,I would spend days researching topics(often getting side-tracked by a more interesting sub-catagory),I would collect way to much info and not know how to leave any thing out(it was all important to me)and my spelling and grammar were horrid(pre-computers)all this and my desire to produce something "perfect" made me either not hand in finished papers because they were not up to my standards or ask for many extensions.....then there is procrastination.

Yep. Except I was an F student (am now a C/D student with some Bs and an A) being told constantly that I was A student material. That it was like I had a brain like a Ferrari, I just lacked the skill set to use it. (I think my "skill set" was, and is, just fine, and that it is the SYSTEM I am being forced to conform to that is causing most problems...)

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2007, 7:07 pm

Well, I'm a A/B student. I have always done very well in school even though most people would not think so since I have dyslexia, ADD, and AS. For me, doing poorly is getting a C!! !! So I've been very successful. (I'm college right now.)

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 7:36 pm

think it has to do with the learning environment too.

i graduated highschool in the top 10%... +4.0 GPA...

but that's cause all i had to do was take notes and regurgitate in for tests....

most of my undergrad classes were the same (there were some chem classes though that just sucked, lol)...

now that i'm in grad school... the game is way different... i have to take info and apply it practically instananeously... both learning and expressing this info on a very social level... and i'm having difficulties. ppl think i'm a lot dumber than they would have if they'd seen my previous academic performances.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl