Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 9:26 pm

I have congenital anosmia and am wondering if others here have it. I was born without a sense of smell, and have never sorted out how this happened. No one else in my family has this condition.

The books and articles I've read on ASDs occasionally mention altered sense of smell, but anosmia itself seems to be separate from autism. Are there others here who were born without a sense of smell? If so, do you know what caused it?

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2013, 9:35 pm

I have it and have always wondered this question. If only we had all the answers... :o

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 10:21 pm

My sense of smell only operates a few days a year, at random intervals. The rest of the time, I only notice very strong odors. However, my sense of taste remains almost constant, and it is mostly olfactory. Go figure.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2013, 11:07 pm

if i smell something i dont like, my mind will block out the smell. i used to have ferrets and theyre poop stunk! eventually i didnt smell it until it was close to my nose, my family members forced me to give them up because i didnt smell the poop and didnt pick it up until the end of the day.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Dec 2013, 2:42 am

Hahaha I seriously got all excited as soon as I saw "anosmia". I have it too and i feel like I'm missing a huge part of life everyone takes for granted. Like no one knows that awkward feeling of being told to smell something as a random object is shoved in your face lol