Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 10:54 am

I can't STAND being formal!! !

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 11:17 am

Yes I do this and have had people say to me "you are so formal" and it many years ago that it was said. Not sure if people see me as less formal now or not.

TreeShadow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2013, 3:21 pm

I am very formal, mostly at work. I remain very professional and have a difficult time relating to my co-workers on a more personal level. It's just easier and more natural for me to express my thoughts in formal language and to try and remain as professional as possible so that I don't end up unconsciously doing something socially wrong.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 5:56 pm

TreeShadow wrote:
I am very formal, mostly at work. I remain very professional and have a difficult time relating to my co-workers on a more personal level. It's just easier and more natural for me to express my thoughts in formal language and to try and remain as professional as possible so that I don't end up unconsciously doing something socially wrong.

I wonder what you do at lunch time...do you eat with your coworkers? Because I find they often think it is weird being formal at lunch break where people are supposed to "really get to know each other".

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 7:23 pm

Good social graces as a way of compensating for poor social skills. Yes, I do this. :) I've done it all my life. Social graces are easy to learn; they're much simpler than the social skills you need for more complex situations, and the same rule typically applies in all similar situations: you don't have to keep track of tiny little nuances in individual situations.

Here's a page on social styles in autism:

http://www.awares.org/static_docs/about ... cSection=3

This paragraph may be of interest to you:

Quote:
3.2.4 The over-formal, stilted group

Seen in later life, this behavior is common in the most able person with autism. The following characteristics tend to be displayed:

Excessively polite and formal;
Have a good level of language;
Try very hard to stick to the rules of social interaction without really understanding them.

Naturally, I have the passive social style, but when I'm forced to interact, I'm in the stilted group.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2013, 7:26 pm

You're not alone, I've been doing this all the time ever since I was a kid. In fact, people often compliment me for my politeness because of my tendency to act formally. I'm not sure exactly how I started, but I just know that it's gotten me a lot of nice things.

The funny thing is, whenever I "let myself go", I can act rather un-formal. When it comes to formality, either I'm all out with it, or I don't even bother.

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2013, 2:00 pm

I know I speak in a formal manner; at work, around strangers, or even online. I can turn it on or off at will. It's definitely a mask to ensure that no one detects what I'm truly like underneath. While I'm not ashamed of who I am, it's obviously important to behave appropriately in some situations.

Once I do turn it off, I let loose, and can be quite childish, though this is generally reserved only to those who are closest to me. It's quite liberating being able to just be me once I get home :D

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 3:17 pm

This is interesting. I always thought that I was quiet formal because of my upbringing. My family are kind of posh. My parents are public school educated, but didn't end up with the same sort of wage as their parents so I ended up in mainstream education (not that I think that was bad for me from an educational perspective). I found it very difficult to fit in. From a young age I was taught very strict manners and then I was in an environment where I was with children who didn't care about these manners. School life was a nightmare. I just couldn't adapt. I have gradually toned down my posh accent and sound less formal. But I can't believe how long it has taken me to adapt. Even now people are a bit suspicious of me.

I've never had money so I don't fit in with posh people, but regular people like me don't like the way I talk and think my manners are too fussy. I don't feel like anyone accepts me.

I like good manners. But then I like rules. I like knowing that you are meant to say please and thank you and that sort of thing because it gives me a little bit of confidence with how to behave. However, I have been made fun of for being too posh, but I've never been sure if that's due to aspieness or my family background.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 3:23 pm

I don't think I behave in a formal way.

I think you have to behave formal in court, but not at work or anywhere else.

I struggle with formal.

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2013, 9:50 pm

Being formal works great. I do it to avoid problems and most people appreciate it. When I loosen up, I am so blunt that it puts people off if they don't know me well.

Dr_Cheeba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2013, 10:08 pm

I'm very formal as well which works great for working in sales and customer service.But I get very lost when I get stuck in personal situations with my co-workers or when customers try to take the conversation to a personal level... The funny thing is my family is VERY informal, so I never put this together. It's certainly a mask.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Dec 2013, 8:12 am

... Actually, I speak in a formal way because I tend to repeat the sentences I hear on TV/read in books and comics since I was little :lol:

About behaviour, I look either angry, bitter or cold, not formal. There's a difference, I guess?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 11:36 pm

I speak in a more formal way than most people, because I don't like being talked to as though I'm a Valley Girl Bimbo.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2013, 3:58 am

I do this all the time as well. Luckily in grad school an element of this is expected and so I can generally get away with it. Small talk makes me shudder though. My mom was a professional musician and so I was essentially raised in a concert hall. Again, there was a very strict set of prescribed social rules that I could learn. I've enjoyed martial arts for the same reason. I somewhat rely on filling my life with activities that have more concrete social expectations.

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

24 Dec 2013, 4:42 am

Nonperson wrote:
I think I tend to use more formal speech because I want to express ideas too complex for the simple language people commonly use in conversation. I suspect NT's add depth and complexity to their communication through some sort of nonverbal magic instead (well, either that, or they have nothing much to say).

I understand what you mean :)

"If you're not actively involved in getting what you want, you don't really want it."
- Peter MC Williams

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2013, 1:18 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Good social graces as a way of compensating for poor social skills. Yes, I do this. :) I've done it all my life. Social graces are easy to learn; they're much simpler than the social skills you need for more complex situations, and the same rule typically applies in all similar situations: you don't have to keep track of tiny little nuances in individual situations.

This describes me as well. I've always been fine with "please" and "thank you" and "excuse me" and such--those are very much rule-bound. It's the unexpected and more complex aspects of socialization that cause me the most grief.