Government Subsidized Group Homes for HFAs?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 1:41 pm

Do they exist? If they do, are residents allowed to do whatever with whoever in their bedrooms? Are there curfews? Are they allowed a pet? is it like living in their own apartment except that meals are provided and they can get help with what they agree they need, or does someone else decide what they need? Are the people who live there treated the respect every person deserves? Just, what are they like?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 2:10 pm

I almost signed up for AiSH (Canadian government assistance program for people with disabilities) a while ago, and part of the deal was that they would help subsidize part of the rent for certain apartments. I backed out of it at the last minute though, since I would have had to go for a medical examination, and I did NOT want to deal with my doctor. Not to mention, despite my irregular sleep schedule and mental health issues, I'm still an able-bodied person for the most part, so why would I exploit a program designed to help people much more disadvantaged than I am?

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 2:25 pm

Specifically for people with HFA? I don't know....I have never seen/heard about anything like you describe. I think that type of supported independent living is a huge services gap for autistic people.

Love transcends all.