Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 5:43 pm

Who's been having these? I started having these last year, where these dark floaters come in my field of vision and as I move my eyes around the floaters move around. Some of the floaters look like little flies; others look like faint wisps of smoke. I had my eyes checked out and they said it was a posterior vitreous detachment, which by itself is not concerning.

Starting this past month, I've been noticing flashes of light, sometimes like bolts of lightning, in my right eye, as well as this strange floater-like phenomenon, where sometimes I notice a floater-like object in my right-eye that seems to cause a defect in my vision, which disappears when I move my eyes. Because of this I'm seeing an ophthalmologist next week.

Has anyone dealt with these issues?

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 6:45 pm

I have a lot of floaters, but I don't get the flashes.
I don't think they are related.

Floaters are pretty much benign. I read that they are more common in nearsighted people, which I am.
The floaters can get really annoying in bright lighting conditions, and when I'm reading. The back and forth eye movement with reading causes them to bounce around and distract me.

Yeah, and sometimes I'll think I see a fly go past me, then I realize it was just a floater.

Diagnosed in 2005

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

23 Dec 2013, 7:42 pm

The floaters have been common with in me for too long now.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2013, 10:04 pm

pete1061 wrote:
I have a lot of floaters, but I don't get the flashes.
I don't think they are related.

Flashes can accompany floaters in posterior vitreous detachment, a benign condition. Such accompaniment may also indicate retinal tears or retinal detachment. which could lead to loss of vision. This accompaniment now occurring is a sign to me that I should get my eye checked out again.