Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2013, 10:53 pm

Undead toaster just occurred to me once while playing an online fps game. I liked the sound and originality (I think...) of it though I'm not terribly fascinated with the undead or toasters and there's no real meaning. It's irrelevant to my picture (cover of the album Helvetios by Eluveitie).

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 11:42 pm

I was having a special interest in the Moomins at the time I joined WP. I suppose I could have just had 'Moomin' as a username, but the character of Moomin is male, so I went with Moomingirl. Even if Murihiku has called me out for being too old to be a 'girl'. :wink:

My avatar is usually a picture from the Moomin books, although occasionally I change it to a greyhound, just because I love them.

jk1, it is nice to read the story of your username, I have never got round to asking you what it meant. Although now I may start thinking of you as 'grapefruit'. :D

Aprilviolets - I love your user name, it always makes me think of spring (well, I'm originally from the northern hemisphere) and flowers. :)

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2013, 11:46 pm

The embodiment of ineptitude, which is how I feel some days.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 12:00 am

I chose this username because, when I was a toddler, I thought it was part of my actual name. Whenever anybody asked my name, I would state my entire name, and add "an Idaho Rose" at the end. At the time, I didn't understand why people thought it was so funny.

Furthermore, having "Idaho" as part of my username means a lot to me, because I was born and raised in this state and have lived here my entire life. I even know quite a few of Idaho's state symbols, such as the Monarch Butterfly, the Appaloosa horse, the Silver Pine tree, and even the Star Garnet, which is only found in one other place outside of Idaho, which is India. Our state motto is "Esto perpetua", and we are known as The Gem State (possibly because of the Star Garnets).

Idaho isn't really one of my special interests though; I just know some facts about it because I'm proud to be a native resident. :P

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 12:27 am

Guzzle is short version of Guzzlegob. As in someone that guzzles their food down their gob.

My avatar is Q-bert. One of my favourite games back when I was 18 or so.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 1:56 am

Thanks, everyone, for telling us about your username! And I'm sorry for not individually thanking you. Some of your explanations have given us a better idea about you.

Moomingirl wrote:
Even if Murihiku has called me out for being too old to be a 'girl'. :wink:

OMG (OMB)! Did he really say that!? "Moominwoman" doesn't really sound right, does it? I think "Moomingirl" suits you better than "Moominwoman".

Moomingirl wrote:
jk1, it is nice to read the story of your username, I have never got round to asking you what it meant. Although now I may start thinking of you as 'grapefruit'. :D

I'm a bitter and sour person, too.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:16 am

jk1 wrote:
Moomingirl wrote:
Even if Murihiku has called me out for being too old to be a 'girl'. :wink:

OMG (OMB)! Did he really say that!? "Moominwoman" doesn't really sound right, does it? I think "Moomingirl" suits you better than "Moominwoman".

Unfortunately I did, on the "Banned" thread. It wasn't my intention to cause offence, although looking back at the original post it was still a dumb thing to say.
I'm sorry, Moomingirl.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 1:35 pm

Murihiku, the whole point of the Banned thread is that we constantly hurl good natured insults at each other. Anyone not understanding and accepting that should not be in there.

It was a valid ban (and comment - seriously, I'm pushing forty and calling myself a girl?).

Absolutely no offence was taken - just a rueful chuckle at how right you were. That is also why I used a :wink: face in my comment above, to show I was joking. Please forget about the whole thing. And I have sent you a PM.

jk1 wrote:
I'm a bitter and sour person, too.

You don't come across like that at all. I think you are incredibly intelligent, and a very nice person.

And you are right. 'Moominwoman' sounds very large and sensible. Not like me at all!

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 2:53 pm

Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification, Mooms. I was worried that I'd actually offended you. :oops:
I've also responded via PM.

As for my username, it's my Māori name IRL. I know that this site discourages people from posting information about their real identity; but I tried Googling it and nothing came up in relation to me, so I think I'm in the clear.

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2014, 3:03 pm

Murihiku wrote:
Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification, Mooms. I was worried that I'd actually offended you. :oops:
I've also responded via PM.

As for my username, it's my Māori name IRL. I know that this site discourages people from posting information about their real identity; but I tried Googling it and nothing came up in relation to me, so I think I'm in the clear.

I really like your name, the way it sounds, though I know nothing about Māori.

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2014, 3:04 pm

My username was all I could think of at the time; I don't like owls that much. But it's not as bad as I thought it was. The German for owl is Eule, which is similar to Euler, who was a mathematician.

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 3:15 pm

Murihiku wrote:

I googled your name when I first met you in the forums (not being a stalker, just a compulsive need to know). Despite living here for more than ten years, I'm afraid my Māori is limited to only a few words. This is what Wikipedia said:

Murihiku is a Māori name describing a region of the South Island in New Zealand. Traditionally it was used to describe the portion of the South Island below the Waitaki River, but now is mostly used to describe the province of Southland.

So I just assumed you were a Southlander..... 8)

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 3:34 pm

Moomingirl wrote:
Murihiku wrote:

I googled your name when I first met you in the forums (not being a stalker, just a compulsive need to know). Despite living here for more than ten years, I'm afraid my Māori is limited to only a few words. This is what Wikipedia said:

Murihiku is a Māori name describing a region of the South Island in New Zealand. Traditionally it was used to describe the portion of the South Island below the Waitaki River, but now is mostly used to describe the province of Southland.

So I just assumed you were a Southlander..... 8)

Yeah, even most Māori would assume that. But as you know, I'm not from anywhere near Southland. :wink: However, my grandmother's family is from Southland, and I was given the name in honour of them.

And don't worry about stalking. I looked up your name, too, when you insisted that you weren't a hippo. :P I remember thinking "what on Earth is a moomin?". And then I found out ... I even found some really cute pictures, too. :)

UndeadToaster wrote:
I really like your name, the way it sounds, though I know nothing about Māori.

Cool. Thanks, UT. It's not the easiest name for most people to pronounce (except for Japanese people, they can pronounce it perfectly).

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 4:14 pm

UndeadToaster wrote:
Undead toaster just occurred to me once while playing an online fps game. I liked the sound and originality (I think...) of it though I'm not terribly fascinated with the undead or toasters and there's no real meaning. It's irrelevant to my picture (cover of the album Helvetios by Eluveitie).

You have one of my favorite user names. It reminds me of the old flying toaster screensavers, but cooler. :D

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 8:20 pm

A lot of people associate my name with a Lady gaga hit but it actually has nothing to do with that. During my diagnostic proces I was told that I have a serious lack of facial expressions and I have read it in some diagnostic reports that have been written about me as wel, allthough I don't agree with it myself. Hence the name pokerface.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 11:31 am

Self explanatory. But can you change your name?