Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SultanLiam
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2014, 12:32 am

In The Hobbit, we learn that Thorin was at the Battle for Moria after the fall of the lonely mountain, eighty years before, (I think it was eighty,) The Hobbit itself is set sixty years before The Lord Of The Rings. In The Fellowship Of The Ring, Gimli is horrified to find his cousin dead, and Moria destroyed by Orcs and Goblins. Here is my question, how is it possible that Gimli didn't know that Moria had been sacked?

I apologise if this is covered somewhere in the Appendices or somewhere else in the Legendarium,
But I haven't read the the books in nearly ten years and I don't think I bothered with the Appendices then. So I have only the movies to go by. Thanks

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 3:52 am

Perhaps Gimli spent a lot of his time outside Moria's walls.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2014, 5:00 am

Gimli knew about the original fall of Moria (being perhaps the greatest loss of the Dwarves as a race); what surprised him was that Balin's post-Erebor expedition to reclaim and recolonize it had failed. He was expecting to go in and see the "roaring fires, malt beer, and ripe meat off the bone".

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2014, 5:20 am

In the book-verse Thror (not Thorin* - Thror is actually Thorin's Grandfather) made an attempt to enter Moria in TA 2790, but was unsuccessful and was killed by the orc Azog. Balin (from Thorin's company) led an expedition to regain control over Moria in TA (Third-Age) 2989 against the wishes of King Dain II Ironfoot. In TA 2994 Balin, Ori, Oin and company are killed in Moria. The Book of Mazarbul (documenting events from TA 2989-2994) is read out in the Fellowship of the Ring by Gandalf(?) in TA 3019. The Quest for Erebor (events of the Hobbit) began in TA 2941. So, it is possible that the Dwarves did not know the fate of those that went to Moria.

Last edited by Sare on 01 Jan 2014, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2014, 5:22 am

Please bear in mind that Peter Jackson's The Hobbit franchise is very heavily ad-libbed from the book version and is only really a semi-faithful adaptation at best. So you might want to take some aspects with a grain of salt where things may not make sense.

That said, please do enjoy The Hobbit & Desolation of Smaug, as entertaining movies, as many others have done!