Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 1:15 am

What would be a good job for a person with mild Asperger's (undiagnosed) and ADHD? Right now I work 3rd shift in a small, privately owned, assisted living facility and it sucks. My mom is always urging me to find something else because my boss is using me, and she is.

I haven't had a single raise since I started 2 years ago. I have worked every big family holiday because I am the one with no kids but get no holiday pay. No benefits. No vacation. Called in every time some one quits or gets sick because I can't say "no."

Plus watching people I cook and clean for and joke with slowly get sicker and die is taking an emotional toll on me. But no one but my mom can see that. Not to mention the constant fear of being the one on duty during emergencies and the fear that working alone I'll make a mistake. The stress is overwhelming.

But there are so few jobs out there, especially since I have no education and with no diagnosis can't ask for help. I can't work in a factory, which is about all that's in this town. The noises, the smells, the industrial lighting.

And I never did to well working in a gas station. Fast food places don't want to give you hours and I can only run the register, I am to slow, to much of a perfectionist to make the food.

My mom thinks I should go back to school, but I don't know what job I should study for. I can't even begin to contemplate a desk job. I can only think well when I can get up and pace. And numbers are to abstract, if I can't see it I have a hard time understanding numbers are meaningless symbols to me.

Part of me wants to teach. But I am terrified of that. I love little kids, but you have to talk to the parents on occasion. And do you choose your age group? I hate teenagers, I couldn't handle being around teens all day. It nearly killed me when I was a teen. My most earnest suicide attempt was as a teen at school, I tried to gouge my wrist with an earring post, but it didn't work and no one noticed the welt on my arm. Or maybe they just didn't care.

And I read you have to do field work, what does that really mean? Do you do all your field work in one school? Or do they move you around? A hate change so much. And I don't drive so how do I get there if they send me out of town, a taxi to chatsworth or Chattanooga would cost far to much.

And to be honest I never wanted a career. I always wanted to be a housewife. Stay in my house and do my house work, raise my children, cook for my family. That was my dream, but things didn't work out that way. Never been married, can't seem find my soulmate. I often worry that my eggs will dry up and I'll end up a bitter old catlady.

That's part of the need for a better job. As a teacher I'd make double what I do now, I've checked. I could afford artificial insemination, its only a couple thousand dollars if you get the sperm and do it at home. The problem is could I handle the schooling to get the job? Or the job once I had it? I really don't know.

If not then what? Would I make a decent phlebotomis? How much would I work with the patient? Do you just poke them and go? Or a pediatric nurse? Again its my love of kids battling my fear of parents.

I really don't know what I'd be good at. I can't do a desk job, but I can't do sloppy but fast either, and don't even ask me to deal with healthy adult strangers all day.