Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 12:20 pm

Raptor wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
babybird wrote:
We had a family of Mormons living near us, who used to collect tins of baked beans and keep them down the cellar.

I'm not sure if that has something to do with their religion, or whether they just liked baked beans.

Or maybe they were just looking for a source of renewable energy. :shrug:

Probably they were survivalists awaiting the apocalypse, and were stocking up on canned goods.

It's part of Mormon practice to store food and things away for emergencies where food would be scarce. Personally, I think that's a very wise practice.

This was in the early 80's. I think Mormons were a rarity in the UK at that time.

I was just a kid, but I was more fascinated by the fact that they used to have Mormon people from the US stopping with them and they had the best mountain bikes that I had ever seen.

In fact I think Mountain Bikes were a rarity at that time too.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 12:22 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
babybird wrote:
We had a family of Mormons living near us, who used to collect tins of baked beans and keep them down the cellar.

I'm not sure if that has something to do with their religion, or whether they just liked baked beans.

Probably they were survivalists awaiting the apocalypse, and were stocking up on canned goods.

Mormon doctrine commands them to store food reserves for emergencies for themselves and other families.

Its part of the religion.

My deviant art profile

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 2:59 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Mormon doctrine commands them to store food reserves for emergencies for themselves and other families.

I think it was one year's rations last I read.

The baked bean thing worries me though - they'd stay alive but I'm just hoping the situation would allow them more time outside than inside. That's a lot of wind.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2014, 3:22 pm

Raptor wrote:
That guy was far too annoying to listen to for more than a minute, if that long. :x
Personally, I don't particularly like for ANY church to send its members out door to door as if they're peddling girl scout cookies. Around here it's not just the Mormons who are guilty of it.
Skip to 2:50.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 2:54 am

I feel so tempted to do the same thing this guy did in the video I think all athiests should do this to Mormons and Jehovas witnesses alike and see how they like it, give them a taste of their own medicine!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 06 Jan 2014, 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 9:43 am

thomas81 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
babybird wrote:

'

It's not doctrine, it's consoling. People do it because it's a wise thing to do. Be prepared. It's not actually part of the religion.

Anyway, the problem with this thing is that it doesn't show hypocrisy because the motivation between the two is completely different. Mormon missionaries are seeking to help people, these atheists are specifically trying to hurt people. The mormons know this is parodying them, so of course they are being annoyed. I'm surprised some of them even tolerated that much of the guy's BS. The hypocrite is the one who does unto others what he does not want done unto him, Mormons are grateful for their gospel, especially converts, they aren't being hypocritical by preaching. Ever heard the mantra "don't be an as*hole"?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 11:13 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-bWz74h518[/youtube] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Turnabout! Very cute.

ruveyn

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 3:17 pm

Ganondox wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
babybird wrote:

'

It's not doctrine, it's consoling. People do it because it's a wise thing to do. Be prepared. It's not actually part of the religion.

Anyway, the problem with this thing is that it doesn't show hypocrisy because the motivation between the two is completely different. Mormon missionaries are seeking to help people, these atheists are specifically trying to hurt people. The mormons know this is parodying them, so of course they are being annoyed. I'm surprised some of them even tolerated that much of the guy's BS. The hypocrite is the one who does unto others what he does not want done unto him, Mormons are grateful for their gospel, especially converts, they aren't being hypocritical by preaching. Ever heard the mantra "don't be an as*hole"?

Don't you think the mormons know by now that their door-to-door preaching is considered annoying by most people? I'm sure they must have figured that out by now, yet they still do it. People are mocking them because THEY are the ones who are annoying people.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 10:18 pm

Ganondox wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
babybird wrote:

'

i dont think the guys in the video are trying to hurt anyone, i think they're trying to prove a point. It was an experiment, not intended to be a prolonged belligerent campaign of some kind.

The fact that the people in Utah reacted hostily without even trying to repudiate their claims sort of proves their point. Mormons like to dish out proselyting, but they don't like to recieve it.

Its not even because they are atheists, had it been muslims, Jews or catholics knocking on their doors they would surely have reacted in a similar way.

My deviant art profile

Last edited by thomas81 on 05 Jan 2014, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 10:19 pm

trollcatman wrote:

Don't you think the mormons know by now that their door-to-door preaching is considered annoying by most people? I'm sure they must have figured that out by now, yet they still do it. People are mocking them because THEY are the ones who are annoying people.

In the mormon mind, they believe that they are doing the recipients a favour by knocking on their doors.

My deviant art profile

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 1:27 am

thomas81 wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

In the mormon mind, they believe that they are doing the recipients a favour by knocking on their doors.

At least they are practicing what they believe. I admire them for that.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 4:17 am

vickygleitz wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

Really, so you also admire Pol Pot, The Peoples Temple Agricultural Project, Baader Meinhof Gang, Vladimir Putin, George W Bush, Al-qaeda, CIA, MI5, KGB, Religious nutjobs assaulting abortion clinics, Creationists mentally abusing kids,.............................................................................................................etc. FFS wake up.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 2:35 pm

trollcatman wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
babybird wrote:

'

Yes, they do. Actually, most missions aren't based around door to door knocking anymore, now it's mainly based around sending missionaries to people who have expressed interest. How they operate depends on the area, some areas they still do knocking, but not in others. If you find it annoying you can just try to illegalize any type of door to door knocking of that kind, the mormon's won't mind, they will just move on to a different tactic.

thomas81 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
babybird wrote:
We had a family of Mormons living near us,
who used to collect tins of baked beans and keep them down the cellar.

'

i dont think the guys in the video are trying to hurt anyone, i think they're trying to prove a point. It was an experiment, not intended to be a prolonged belligerent campaign of some kind.

The fact that the people in Utah reacted hostily without even trying to repudiate their claims sort of proves their point. Mormons like to dish out proselyting, but they don't like to recieve it.

Its not even because they are atheists, had it been muslims, Jews or catholics knocking on their doors they would surely have reacted in a similar way.

If you watched the video some of the people were in fact listening to him, it proves nothing for the reason I gave. Yes, he was trying to prove a point, but his point remains unproven because he was purposely setting out with the intent to annoy people, not to actually proselytize anyone.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 2:55 pm

AspieOtaku, that video is genius, and I don't say that lightly any more.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 3:09 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
vickygleitz wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

Really, so you also admire Pol Pot, The Peoples Temple Agricultural Project, Baader Meinhof Gang, Vladimir Putin, George W Bush, Al-qaeda, CIA, MI5, KGB, Religious nutjobs assaulting abortion clinics, Creationists mentally abusing kids,.............................................................................................................etc. FFS wake up.

By practicing what they believe, he meant "not being a hypocrite". The maker of the video argues they are, I argue otherwise.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 4:35 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
vickygleitz wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

I admire Mormons too, for having the courage to go door to door, or to hostile countries to preach what they believe. You can admire this spirit without agreeing with them about the specifics of what they are preaching, which I agree is utter nonsense. I don't know what point you are trying to make here.