Who rules United Federation of Planets from Star Trek?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 12:14 pm

I watched all Star Trek series except TOS, i noticed that Federation is dominated by Mankind and capital of the Federation not on Vulcan or Andoria, so mankind rules :D

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 12:37 pm

If you watch DS9 youll notice that the president of Earth is alien. Its a united federation meaning that its an egalitarian organisation theoretically there is no ruler just a round table so to speak. In practise obviously it isnt

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 12:38 pm

Then again in "little green men" Nog does mention that "Humans went from ... to rulers of a vast instellar alliance in only 5000 years"

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 1:56 pm

Government in Star Trek is like economics in Star Trek: Unless they're criticizing it, they'd prefer not to talk about. Because Earth/Federation is presented as ideal, the writers stay vague about the mechanics, lest the fans poke too many holes in the premise.

RandyM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jan 2014, 3:03 pm

Technically there is no economics in Star Trek. When you have a replicator machine, you don't really need to worry about money.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 3:48 pm

From all that I know of Star Trek lore, the Federation has the Federation Council which is made up of ambassadors/representatives from every Federation world. There is a president, who may be human or non-human. I presume there is an election of sorts to pick who serves.

It is based on Earth because Starfleet is based on Earth. While other races had FTL travel, for some reason the Cochrane warp drive is most popular and perhaps it was the drive of Humans to go out and do things that helped form the Federation in the first place.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2014, 9:59 pm

Tyler Perry had a minor role as the Federation President in the 2009 reboot, while Kurtwood Smith played a 23rd-century version in "Star Trek VI".

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 9:57 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Tyler Perry had a minor role as the Federation President in the 2009 reboot, while Kurtwood Smith played a 23rd-century version in "Star Trek VI".

I remember also federation president form DS8 Home Front, who looked like anthropomorphic dog :D

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 10:08 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs0nOKk57LQ[/youtube]

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2014, 9:01 pm

The United Federation of Planets is governed by an elected council, with representatives from every major member planet. Given the tendency of Humans to settle anywhere at least marginally habitable, they do wind up dominating the political scene; however, other species do get a look-in. (In the MMO Star Trek Online, in 2409 the President of the Federation Council is Annek Okeg, the first Saurian ever elected to that office.)

The Ferengi seem to think of the Federation as being in fact run by Humans, in much the same way they themselves dominate the Ferengi Alliance.

Also, people from Earth tend to go on about the Federation being somehow "beyond" money - but the post-scarcity economy of freely-available replicators seems to exist primarily on the core worlds (Earth, Vulcan, Andor, and so on). In the episode "The Trouble With Tribbles", Deep Space Station K-7 had a bar that dealt in "credits" (the barkeep arranged to buy tribbles for six credits each from Cyrano Jones, then tried to sell Lt. Uhura a tribble for ten credits). In some episodes of TNG and DS9, there are references to expenses, something you'd think a true post-scarcity economy wouldn't even notice. (Then again, Capt. Sisko waxed rather eloquent on that topic in one DS9 episode: "On Earth, there is no poverty, no crime, no war. You look out the window of Starfleet Headquarters and you see Paradise. Well, it's easy to be a saint in Paradise, but the Maquis do not live in Paradise. Out there in the demilitarized zone, all the problems haven't been solved yet. Out there, there are no saints — just people. Angry, scared, determined people who are going to do whatever it takes to survive, whether it meets with Federation approval or not!")