Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Abcrone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2014, 6:54 am

I used to be motivated by money but I no longer am anymore, I don't desire anything luxurious or expensive.
I fail to see the reason for average or excessive monetary gain when there is nothing I want or can get from having it.

What is your point of few on monetary gain, Do you feel it's just a means to get by or do you desire something really expensive or a higher "social status"

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 7:03 am

I just see it as a means to an end. My motivation is sooner 'food' than 'money' at this point, but I need money if I want food. (Unless I start a farm someplace.)

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 7:38 am

Yes, I am. I admit that I love money because it makes life easier. I don't need luxury but I want to live comfortably. I definitely won't work hard and get stressed by work to earn more than enough money. I'd rather have a stress-free job that pays less.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 7:54 am

No

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Jan 2014, 11:42 am

I'm motivated by happiness, and I've learned that money is only a tiny part of that. I've been a happy poor man, and an unhappy rich man, so I know this is true. Because of that experience, I am now the happiest I've ever been, and fortunately I'm OK financially as well. But I also know that I would still be happy if I had less money.

Charles

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 2:14 pm

I'm very motivated by money. Money makes the world go round. :)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 2:32 pm

I am motivated by money, my job is partly commission based. But I am also very competitive, so I'm partly motivated by the competition too.

Woof Woof! Cheep Cheep!

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 2:39 pm

I'm motivated by money because I can't live without it. I don't do anything right now to bring in a steady income (i'm in highschool so I'm still with my family), but when I move out my main motivation for getting a job will be for the money; whatever pleasure can be derived will be secondary.

I do sympathize with the whole "moderacy" thing though. I find big houses, fancy cars, and high social stature totally unappealing. If I ever have some big break and wind up with way more cash than I need, I'll probably donate most of it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2014, 11:45 pm

My parents were poor growing up & they didn't have much till I was older kid. They were kind of tight with money before & still kind of are. They try to save a lot because my dad's self-employed in the construction field(carpentry) so there's times when he may not have much money coming in due to lack of ready jobs & my parents worry about their financial situation incase something were to happen to my dad like if he gets injured or gets sore & needs to retire. My parents mostly bought everything for me instead of getting me much of an allowance as a kid & teen so I never had much expensive stuff due to lack of money & my parents being kinda tight with buying expensive things for me.

I didn't get my 1st job till a couple years after graduating high-school due to disabilities limiting me with my options. I didn't get on SSI till shortly before I got a job so I was dependent on my parents for money & my essentials till then. 1ce I started getting my own money my parents quit paying for my medical expenses & health insurance, personal things for me & the cable & net bill(Crapcast for both) got put in my name so I didn't have much money till a year after I started working after I switched jobs & was working over-time & then I had to start giving my parents some to cover some of my share of household expenses. I only worked a couple years & then I was back on SSI for a year & then it switched to Social Security Disability & I'm still on it. I moved in with my girlfriend a little over a year ago & Medicare & state Medicaid here are accepted by all the docs so the only medical expenses I have are for prescriptions which aren't much thanx to the Medicare Extra Help Program but sense I moved out of my parents I have other kinds of expenses so I still don't have much money.

I learned years ago from my working that I need to make my mental health a priority instead of working so much that when I'm not working most of my time is spent sleeping so I don't have any time to enjoy myself or spend any kind of time with anyone outside of work. I kind of miss having a job in some ways but I know I need to be careful to get the rite job for me & make sure I don't overdue it for my health & so I can keep my income low enough to keep my Disability, Medicare, Medicaid, Medicare Extra Help. I'd hate to start working & be no better off financially due to losing all my benefits. I haven't started looking for a job due to getting settled in & adjusting from moving out of my parents & being more independent & living on the other side of the country from where I used to with my girlfriend. Also my girlfriend has some mental things like depression & anxiety needs me around for things. She's on SSI, Section8 housing & food stamps & I'm classified as her caretaker/live-in aid so my income isn't factored in with her stuff. She would have major problems living alone & needs someone to accompany her to places, help deal with the people there, help with chores, & provide emotional support & motivation which I try my best to do so I do live up to the tittle of caretaker/live-in aid except for happening to be her boyfriend. She's doing abit better than she was when we 1st moved in so me having a part-time job now might would be doable depending on the hours & what it was. I got referred to an organization to help with employment when I got my vision checked after moving here(a rare low vision disorder is my primary disability but I have other things) but I haven't taken an active approach in working with them but the guy who was handling my case left & the new guy said he would call me to set up an appointment this month. If he calls me I'll go & do what they ask or like & see what happens but I'm not going to take the intuitive on my own rite now.

I don't care about decorations at all, I don't care about looking good & wear the same tShirts, shorts & jeans till they get too holy.
My hobbies are :arrow: watching TV so I have all the channels that aren't premium movie channels or sports packages. Things on computer & I decked out like 5 years ago when I got it which cost almost two thousand but it's still pretty good. Listening to music but I pirate everything I can thou I like some nonmainstream stuff so I do buy some but mostly when it's on sale or a preorder bonus or KickStarter promotion. I have a chinchilla so I do buy food & things for her care. The only things I have that aren't useful are a motley collectionoif knives & I also spend money on things for trying to stop hair-loss/male-pattern baldness.

So hopefully after reading all that which I know is a lot(it took me quite a while to type but I got carried away) you guys can accurately guess the answer to the question "Are you motivated by money?" but incase you still cant I'll add that I'm practical & somewhat realistic or I try to be & think I am.

The answer to the question is NO

You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:46 am

I am motivated my money. Some say it's too unhealthy. But all of our lives are different and so are our abilities. Who knows what survival traits people need. If I had an attitude of pritty young white girl, It wouldn't work.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 2:51 am

I don't think it's unhealthy to be motivated by money. I only have myself to rely on, so if I wasn't motivated I would have nothing.

Woof Woof! Cheep Cheep!

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2014, 5:28 am

No. I don't need all the fancy stuff. My dream isn't to live in a mansion in Beverly Hills. I really don't care about money, I don't see what the fix is about it. I would rather have a low paying job with something that I love, than I high paying job with something I hate.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm

In regards to others being motivated by money & is it unhealthy or bad, my opinion depends on the type of person who's motivated by money. I think their fine if they're empathetic & caring about others. But I think they're a scrooge & heartless if they hate on the poor because they cant understand why the poor cant make something out of nothing & think the poor are just being lazy & deserve to be homeless & the rich person uses his money to bribe politans to cut services for the poor so the rich can get bigger tax breaks.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 7:06 pm

Being motivated by money doesn't necessarily mean that you earn a lot of money.

Being motivated by money means that you are willing to get out of bed in the morning to earn a living, no matter how big or how small that living may be.

I've had shite jobs throughout my life, but I've done them purely for the money.

Luckily, these days I do a job that I enjoy and I earn enough to live on.

I'm not greedy but I am competitive, and it is the competition that enables me to earn a good wage.

Woof Woof! Cheep Cheep!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2014, 7:29 pm

babybird wrote:
Being motivated by money means that you are willing to get out of bed in the morning to earn a living, no matter how big or how small that living may be.
I think of that as desire to be independent rather than being motivated by money. Wanting to earn a decent living so you can provide for yourself & family is being responsible. I think of being motivated as money as not caring about providing or independence but rather desiring money when you don't have a real need or plan to use it; your motivated by making your bank account grow for the sake of it instead of what you need, want or use the money for.