Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 5:59 pm

qawer wrote:
Very true. Be careful with trusting NTs, what matters to them is the group, not you as an individual seperate from the group - they will always attempt to include you in that group-synergy!

Yes I had to learn this the hard way, many times over. :( Your posts here are really helping me to understand it better now.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 6:08 pm

dianthus wrote:
qawer wrote:
Very true. Be careful with trusting NTs, what matters to them is the group, not you as an individual seperate from the group - they will always attempt to include you in that group-synergy!

Yes I had to learn this the hard way, many times over. :( Your posts here are really helping me to understand it better now.

I am very sorry to hear that dianthus, it must have been painful experiences. Let them never hurt you again.

NTs just cannot see you as an individual seperate from the group the way you in fact perceive yourself, because their group-thinking is so incredibly strong (or our individuality-thinking is so incredibly strong, however one wants to look at it).

StuckWithin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2014, 6:22 pm

So it seems then that the quality friendship comes with the price of first being accepted by the group. Kind of lame in my view of life.

I mean, if you can't be your authentic self, then people are liking you for your....compliance to mass thought? Ugh.

Can't say I get it, but that seems to explain many things in society.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 8:25 pm

I feel more worried and scared than bitter about the fact that I'm friendless and I have a mediocre job. When I'm feeling down, there's no one who cares and when I'm having a more practical problem, there's no one to help me with it. I'm totally alone. And that makes me worried and scared about my future. Will I be able to survive if anything happens? I'll have to deal with whatever comes by myself. What if something that I cannot deal with by myself happens? Will I simply die?

I have learned that having good intentions towards others and studying/working hard won't guarantee friends and financial security. I feel it's impossible to have friends. I don't have in my brain that "program" that's supposed to come built-in when you were born. If I tried hard, I'd only make a fool of myself. So, I have given that up and I have accepted that (that I am and will be friendless). However, I still think it's possible for me (or anyone) to succeed in having a reasonably good job/career and have a happy life. A happy life that I should seek is not the same as what the majority (non-autistic people) seek. If you keep seeking what you cannot get, you will be miserable.

I do feel bitter about how horribly some people have treated me. My bitterness is toward some individuals (and towards certain social injustices but that's a different story). I don't blame myself for feeling bitter. I even think that given the chance I'll get back at them. However, I usually try to turn my bitterness into my energy for achieving a happier life. The important thing, I think, is to just accept how you feel.

qawer, I thank you for always giving us your insightful opinions. Your words often make me see things from a different positive perspective.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 9:20 pm

StuckWithin wrote:
All the people who preach the hard knocks school of life (life owes you nothing, get up and make a difference, stop whining about your life, etc. etc.) all have a point: complaining and being bitter really and truly do not help make things better. BUT....how does one successfully adopt a positive approach to life when one tries and tries (to build relationships, to acquire steady work), yet all that results is constant failure? How do you not get bitter when you are middle aged, and look around and see twenty somethings in vibrant, successful relationships, ready to take on the world, and you are still scratching your head trying to understand how to do the same - but with decades of life behind you already?

If you figure it out, let me know. :lol:

I struggle with bitterness every day.

I am blessed in many ways (my life could be SO MUCH WORSE), but even then, I get angry that I'm always having to be thankful for how my life isn't worse rather than how it's getting better.

People who are positive all the time either have a natural disposition and/or some upbringing that helped them be that way.

My youth was full of pain and rejection. It's a miracle I'm not a bigger basket case than I am now.

StuckWithin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2014, 9:30 pm

jk1 wrote:
However, I still think it's possible for me (or anyone) to succeed in having a reasonably good job/career and have a happy life. A happy life that I should seek is not the same as what the majority (non-autistic people) seek. If you keep seeking what you cannot get, you will be miserable.

Completely agree about the job part. If you can work in an area that uses your natural strengths as well as any advantages that having an autistic mind gives, then the job/career may be the driver of happiness to bank on.

Of course in these days with the economy being so weak and hiring trends seeming to favor extroversion and personality over skill (#1 hiring question, "how well will this person fit with my team?"), even that can be problematic. The question should be more about natural talents and the person's skills and mind fitting the job, not how good a social fit they are. I think that is actually harmful to the non-cool, yet the non-cool still deserve to contribute to the world.

When I think about having a hard time with friendship and love though, I get sad thinking that I should not still hope to learn how to acquire them. Maybe if the need wasn't there it would be a moot point, but hmmmm, tough call. I think friendship and love are things most people need, autistic or not.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2014, 9:49 pm

StuckWithin wrote:
All the people who preach the hard knocks school of life (life owes you nothing, get up and make a difference, stop whining about your life, etc. etc.) all have a point: complaining and being bitter really and truly do not help make things better. BUT....how does one successfully adopt a positive approach to life when one tries and tries (to build relationships, to acquire steady work), yet all that results is constant failure? How do you not get bitter when you are middle aged, and look around and see twenty somethings in vibrant, successful relationships, ready to take on the world, and you are still scratching your head trying to understand how to do the same - but with decades of life behind you already?

Another thing I cannot understand (please help me here if you can, I would really appreciate other people's perspectives as clearly they will be different from what I have been able to figure out on my own), is how to share the pain or frustrations in your life when nobody likes to be around a complainer. Some people appear to be blessed with friends who let them "cry on their shoulders" and hear them out, give them solid advice, maybe talk to key people who can help them, etc. I have never had friends who would do this for me. I have watched with some jealousy as others benefit from such friendship, but when I try to attract the same thing into my life, it goes nowhere.

And yes, I know that to have quality friends, you have to be one first - I know this. I have gone out of my way over the years to be kind and supportive and proactive for others, but I hate to say that they do not return the favor: they take, and take, and take... until I finally have to realize that I have been taken advantage of.

I really envy those who have rock solid friendships and people supporting them emotionally. Have always wanted that but it's as if the universe is determined to keep me from getting it.

Thanks for bearing with me, this was long winded.

Going to a support group might be a start.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Volterra
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2014, 4:26 am

StuckWithin wrote:
To me, my perfectionism is directly related to my ethics: if I strive for perfection and achieve it, I have reached the zenith of whatever I set out to do. I pretty much only experience joy and satisfaction if every single granule is lined up as it should be.

Is this also something that leads to obsessive thinking and ruminating over past "imperfections"? I have this a lot, to the point that it becomes highly intrusive, and would be curious to see if it occurs more generally.

By the way, in other replies I encountered the abbreviation "NT" a couple of times, but I don't understand what it means. Could you help me out?

My best wishes,

Volterra.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 4:37 am

StuckWithin wrote:
So it seems then that the quality friendship comes with the price of first being accepted by the group. Kind of lame in my view of life.

I mean, if you can't be your authentic self, then people are liking you for your....compliance to mass thought? Ugh.

Can't say I get it, but that seems to explain many things in society.

Exactly.

We should be careful with over-estimating what we are missing out on. As you say yourself, we cannot be our authentic selves in such ordinary friendships.

There truly are no free lunches. You can get friendships, but only if you are first accepted by the group - that can be very expensive to achieve.

Last edited by qawer on 14 Jan 2014, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 4:43 am

jk1 wrote:
I feel more worried and scared than bitter about the fact that I'm friendless and I have a mediocre job. When I'm feeling down, there's no one who cares and when I'm having a more practical problem, there's no one to help me with it. I'm totally alone. And that makes me worried and scared about my future. Will I be able to survive if anything happens? I'll have to deal with whatever comes by myself. What if something that I cannot deal with by myself happens? Will I simply die?

True. That is our problem. We are on our own. That is why independence gives us confidence and is so important for us.

We have cat-brains. Cats are tough animals who deal with life on their own. So we have to be tough too. Opposite dogs who cooperate, but are forced to conform to the group. They are the NTs. Conforming to the group is just often not an option for us!

jk1 wrote:
I have learned that having good intentions towards others and studying/working hard won't guarantee friends and financial security. I feel it's impossible to have friends. I don't have in my brain that "program" that's supposed to come built-in when you were born. If I tried hard, I'd only make a fool of myself. So, I have given that up and I have accepted that (that I am and will be friendless). However, I still think it's possible for me (or anyone) to succeed in having a reasonably good job/career and have a happy life. A happy life that I should seek is not the same as what the majority (non-autistic people) seek. If you keep seeking what you cannot get, you will be miserable.

Good intentions are not enough for making friends and doing well in NT society. You have to sacrifice more: your individuality. You have to put the group's interest higher than your free will!!

I agree, a happy life for a NT is often not a happy life for us.

jk1 wrote:
I do feel bitter about how horribly some people have treated me. My bitterness is toward some individuals (and towards certain social injustices but that's a different story). I don't blame myself for feeling bitter. I even think that given the chance I'll get back at them. However, I usually try to turn my bitterness into my energy for achieving a happier life. The important thing, I think, is to just accept how you feel.

You cannot change the past, but never let them hurt you again in the future. Everytime you get hurt verbally, you wear that as a mental scar for life because we do not forget.

Definitely agree, we should turn that bitterness toward individuals who have treated us badly into positive energy, even though is can be difficult at times.

jk1 wrote:
qawer, I thank you for always giving us your insightful opinions. Your words often make me see things from a different positive perspective.

I am glad my comments could be of any help to you!

Last edited by qawer on 14 Jan 2014, 5:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

Volterra
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2014, 4:55 am

qawer wrote:
Opposite dogs who cooperate, but are forced to conform to the group. They are the NTs. Conforming to the group is just often not an option for us!

Hey... don't mess with dogs, please! :wink:

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 5:01 am

Volterra wrote:
qawer wrote:
Opposite dogs who cooperate, but are forced to conform to the group. They are the NTs. Conforming to the group is just often not an option for us!

That is what I am rather much trying to avoid :wink:

Volterra
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2014, 5:14 am

qawer wrote:
Volterra wrote:
qawer wrote:

That is what I am rather much trying to avoid :wink:

Spot on, you go me there!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2014, 11:33 am

It is easy to get bitter. I spend a lot of time outside in nature, as often and as much as I can. This really helps ground me and settle my spirit. I love to do things like kayaking and disc golf and skiing and rail trail biking which connect me to the earth. This also gives me an opportunity to see beautiful and wondrous scenery. When I do that I become calmer and then I start to really enjoy what I am doing and I become grateful. Gratitude, at least for me seems to be the enemy of bitterness. It is a great way to fight it. I also take great joy and stock in any tiny victory not matter how small it is. I used to tell my students to do that when I was teaching. I don't care if it's something as small as you managed to get out of bed today. That is a victory and you can get excited about it. When you start to get grateful and excited about the small, seemingly meaningless things in life, your heart and perspectives change and there is less and less room for the bitterness to linger. That really helps me. Acknowledging is the first step, replacing it with gratitude and joy over the tiny everyday things is the second. When you are grateful and joyful for what you have, even if it is just a few little things, rather than focused on what you don't have or on how life can suck, you sill find that your bitterness will start to melt away.

For example, sometimes I feel like the entire world is beating me up. Then I go ride my bike on the rail trail and I see cows in the fields and pretty flowers and the river and I get so happy. I think "Wow, everyone else is so stuck in their stupid whatever, but I have this. This is mine." Then I get super grateful and all of a sudden I don't feel those bad feelings.

Wreck It Ralph

StuckWithin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2014, 12:22 pm

skibum wrote:
Gratitude, at least for me seems to be the enemy of bitterness. It is a great way to fight it. I also take great joy and stock in any tiny victory not matter how small it is.

Thank you. That makes perfect sense, and is so well put.

I agree with you the more I think about this.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jan 2014, 12:56 pm

If you truly want to not be bitter, try focusing on what you can do rather than what you can't. Simple as that, it really is.