Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MDB
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2005, 6:45 am

Hi,

I do a lot of computer rendering (3DSMax, MicroStation, AutoCAD) and Photoshop but I don’t have much expertise in the technical of networks side.

I want to put Linux and window on them both but I also want one to be in windows and one to be in LINUX and for them to be able to talk.

A bit about my network, I have 2 laptops.
One Toshiba Satalie 1900 (P4 2.4 Ghz, 32 mb ATI mobility redeon, 1 Gb of ram DVD and CD-RW)
One Eversham (Athlon 64bit, 3200+, 128mb ATI mobility redeon, 1Gb or ram and DVD-RW)
They are linked by a LAN Crossover cable
The Toshiba has a Belkin Wireless G PCIMA card.
The Eversham has a built in wireless G
They each have a printer and share them through the LAN (Toshiba has a photo one, and Eversham has a document one)
I have 2 scanners. 1 Epsom desktop and one USB powered one I use when I am not in my room.

They both need to connect to either my home (wireless B) WiFi and my the studio WiFi (wireless G, it also has file sharing and printers)

The Toshiba has a Digital TV decoder attached to it by USB.

I have just installed Linux on my Toshiba Satellite 1900. (Xandros 3) however the WiFi PCIMA card will not be detected :( . Does any one have any ideas for this?

I have also been having trouble talking to it through the LAN cable as well.

Is what I am trying to do impossible? I have it all working in windows.

Does any one know a Linux forum where they speak to people don’t have a clue about this like me.

Thanks for your help,

MDB

Dan
Raven
Raven

12 Apr 2005, 7:53 am

MDB wrote:
I have just installed Linux on my Toshiba Satellite 1900. (Xandros 3) however the WiFi PCIMA card will not be detected :( . Does any one have any ideas for this?

Have you tried running /usr/sbin/netcardconfig ?

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2005, 9:14 am

As a Linux newbie, I have found LinuxQuestions.org very useful, and I would be surprised if there is nothing there that could help you MDB. 8)

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Minus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2005, 3:27 pm

Wifi on Linux is a bit difficult, at least right now.

Last edited by Minus on 22 Oct 2005, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2005, 4:58 pm

The biggest problem with 802.11G on Linux is that the G spectrum is close to the military communication frequencies so most of the manufacturers are prevented from releasing open-source drivers in case we find a way to access the military channels by reprogramming the frequency generator. There are some binary drivers that use a Linux wrapper API.

The other problem is that 802.11 in general was not part of the 2.4 kernel, and had to be added using a third-party patch. 2.6 has some drivers available as native kernel modules but not all of them. Most of the distros have pretty poor support for 802.11 right now.

jmatucd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Apr 2005, 4:58 pm

suse 9.2 (9.3 will be out in a month or two) had some good wireless support. Its just hard to configure