Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Melantha
Toucan
Toucan

11 Feb 2007, 2:03 pm

What do you think of the idea that AS is not actually an autistic spectrum disorder but rather a "bridge" disorder between autism and Non-verbal Learning Disorder, with aspies possessing a combination of symptoms from both which can vary slightly from person to person?

For example, we do not share the verbal language impairment of autistics; instead we have the normal or precocious language development of NLD. We also have the social problems of NLD which stem from the inability to perceive or decode non-verbal language, which is not shared by autistics.

But on the other hand, we do have the obsessive narrow interests, which is not a feature of NLD, and some of us also engage in stimming/repetitive motions and rituals which are also not a feature of NLD but are a feature of autism.

Some of us have spatial problems and other dyscalculic traits which are a feature of NLD, while some don't. Nearly all of us have some level of gross or fine motor co-ordination difficulty, which is also a feature of NLD but is not typical of autism.

What do you think?

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 2:19 pm

I think AS is probably like a successful move towards autism. That the social part of the brain is somehow sacrificed to other areas, and AS people have a desire to learn. That explains the obsessions, language, and higher IQ! NICE SIMPLE PLAUSIBLE explanation to AS! Good old "Occam's razor"! The rest of the stuff is generally autism. I could give reasons for the sensory shifting, memory! I think that is due to the amigdala differences! synestesia and similar things could be due to the smaller and more densely packed minicolumns. The minicolumns with the amigdala could EVEN explain the stims!

All we need to know now is WHY this happens! THREE mental differences(the amigdala and social area are closely related, so it may only be TWO differences) work together to cause all these other things!

Steve

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 2:25 pm

To Steve K
as said morgo the friendly drelb:

"I'm with youuuuuuuuuu."

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button